Despite new voting restrictions, turnout surging in Georgia

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Apparently the early/mail-in vote turnout has already exceeded that of 2020. Republicans are saying that Abrams and voting rights groups made much ado about nothing. Abrams and voting rights advocates are saying they've adjusted to the new normal, and are thanking large corporations for putting pressure on Republicans to ease some restrictions in their final bill (those changes led to more early voting Saturdays in exchange for losing Sundays, for example.)

Turnout is one thing though--actually counting the votes fairly in each county without challenges and tossing votes is another. Let's see how Tuesday plays out--but it is just a primary.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Maybe I'm just feeling pessimistic...

If dems win then the republican gerrymandered states will find some way to actually weigh red votes more like having house members cast votes rather than using popular vote for state wide elections.

Blocking of voting rights reform by Sinema and Manchin may likely be the end our democracy.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I checked a few articles. Can't find a breakdown of turnout increase per party.

Reactions: Leeea
Nov 17, 2019
Georgia Republicans who despise Gov. Brian Kemp threaten to stay home this November if Trump-backed challenger David Perdue loses Tuesday's primary

www.businessinsider.com.ico
Business Insider|11 minutes ago
MAGA world would rather sit out the Georgia governor's race in November than vote for the incumbent who certified President Joe Biden's 2020 win.

By all means, do so.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I only know a single person in Georgia (Norcross) so crap sample size there, but I'm told the Dems have a near Ukrainian level of motivation right now.

Team Treason has been having a hard time keeping angry old white guys around, even harder to replace with covid, I do hope they continue to think 2022 is in the bag. If the trend of participation continues and mail in voting renders certain suppression attempts null and void, we could see some really surprising results in Nov.

Sadly, not every state has a Stacey Abrams, but this level of involvement holding true in other states bodes well for the Dems. Let's hope that's the case, Dems haven't finished repairing the last round of damage and looting repug governance inflicted. It certainly won't continue if Team Treason takes the wheel again.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I only know a single person in Georgia (Norcross) so crap sample size there, but I'm told the Dems have a near Ukrainian level of motivation right now.

Team Treason has been having a hard time keeping angry old white guys around, even harder to replace with covid, I do hope they continue to think 2022 is in the bag. If the trend of participation continues and mail in voting renders certain suppression attempts null and void, we could see some really surprising results in Nov.

Sadly, not every state has a Stacey Abrams, but this level of involvement holding true in other states bodes well for the Dems. Let's hope that's the case, Dems haven't finished repairing the last round of damage and looting repug governance inflicted. It certainly won't continue if Team Treason takes the wheel again.
Get ready for orange man, the Trumpanzee cult leader to scream fraud all over again in November.

Reactions: hal2kilo

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I checked a few articles. Can't find a breakdown of turnout increase per party.

There is literally no one for Democrats to vote for in this primary. At the top of the ballot is Stacey Abrams running unopposed for governor. The only Senate seat that is up is Raphael Warnock who is also unopposed.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
There is literally no one for Democrats to vote for in this primary. At the top of the ballot is Stacey Abrams running unopposed for governor. The only Senate seat that is up is Raphael Warnock who is also unopposed.
I was going to say the massive turnout is for Kemp vs. Perdue....all Repub. turnout.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Well, there is a LOT of House and state offices on the primary ballot for Democrats.

And Warnock does have a competitor.

And most importantly, Secretary of State!!!

So I don't think the Democrats aren't voting in the primaries.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
^^^ It ain't Wednesday yet.

And it ain't November yet to see if Stacey prevails this time or if Kemp (or whoever) will play games again.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
^^^ It ain't Wednesday yet.

And it ain't November yet to see if Stacey prevails this time or if Kemp (or whoever) will play games again.

Every time a Trump cultist is down and loses a primary it is cause for some celebration or at the very least, a minor breath of relief.

No way in hell Perdue wins the primary.

That in and of itself is a small victory.

As horrible as Kemp is at least he did not fold to Trump's coup attempt.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
The future of our nation will be partially known at 7 tonight. In Texas, if Bush wins the runoff election, the Democrats may have a chance to get their first candidate elected to a very high level state position in more than 2 decades. On a side note in Georgia, many Perdue voters are claiming they will not vote in November if Kemp wins the primary. If this does happen, Democrat nominee for governor Stacey Abrams would have a much higher chance of winning in November. Today also marks the day where many other states are also having major primary elections. In the event that "Stop the Steal" protests occur if Kemp was to win tonight, there is very high chance that Democrats may win by large or even small margins in many other states in November.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Reactions: Captante

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I just did my part to convince the fascists to stay home in November because the fix is in, by voting for the slightly-less-openly-fascists in Georgia.

I had a lot of fun answering the ballot questions at the end of the ballot, too.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
GOP memo is asking all other candidates to burn any and all oppo research files on Herschel Walker.