desperately need help with cooling, pwm fans and pwm pumps

mjohnson24

Feb 14, 2017
So here's what i have currently.
Mobo: Asus x99 Deluxe II
Case: Thermaltake W100 (P100 in future possibly)
CPU: intel i7 6900k OCd to 4.2ghz
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX
GPUs: (2) EVGA GTX FTW ICXs (have the FTW Gaming ACX3 versions but trading up)
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2
RAM: 4 x 16gb Gskill 3200mhz (64gb total)

Fans Im looking at getting.
- 3 Air Flow Fans (3 front): Corsair AF120 (CO-9050004-WW) @ 1650rpm's at Power Draw (@ +12V): 0.13A
- 4 SP Fans ( EK 480 XE radiator TOP): Corsair SP120 (CO-9050012-WW) @ 1450rpm's at Power Draw (@ +12V): 0.08A
- 4 SP Fans ( EK 480 XE radiator BOTTOM): Corsair SP120 (CO-9050012-WW) @ 1450rpm's at Power Draw (@ +12V): 0.08A
- 1 Back Fan: Corsair AF120 (CO-9050004-WW) @ 1650rpm's at Power Draw (@ +12V): 0.13A

The mobo i have is the Asus deluxe II motherboard. Images below.
Click for Mobo Image 1
Click for Mobo Image 2
Click for Mobo Image 3
Click for Mobo Image 4

my board does come with this fan extension card as well.
Fan Extension Board

The pump/res combo im getting.
Click for Image of EK EXRES 140 Revo D5 pump/res combo

Radiators im getting are the EK 480 XE (60mm thick on top and probably either the 25mm or 45mm thick depending on what fits in the bottom p100 when i get it in future)

My question is this... Based on if you look at images of my fan header layout. If i do the (4) SP120 fans as listed above on both radiators (top for now till i get bottom in future), (3) of the AF120s in front and 1 of those in back of case and from the link above with pump/res combo that has not only a 4 pin molex power but the 4 pin PWM connector as well. I know the 4 fans on top can maybe go to one of the (click to view product -->) 4 pin pwm power distribution pcb 8-way block's and plug into the CPU_FAN connector but again as per the fan header image of my board where or how would i plug in the 4 case fans, bottom 4 rad fans and the two pwm connectors on the pumps?

I don't wanna plug to many things in the fan headers and overload the connection nor do i wanna plug the wrong things into them so i really really need help on how i should do this best.

I thought of getting some kind of 5 1/4" style fan controller for the front 5 1/4" bays if i can fit it in but i dont know if that would work nor do i know if it would control the fan speed automatically or do i have to do that manually and always keep control of the temps and adjust fan speed manually?

I also know that its not the number of fans that determine positive air pressure in case but the fan speed of the fans in front sucking more in than the whats going out the exhaust fans.

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i have had a lot of problems with distribution nodes which look like modmytoys (the one you linked).

i would get something like this silverstone which has a built in capacitor to help balance out power.
https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-...487292957&sr=8-1&keywords=silverstone+fan+hub

51i63lrzlIL.jpg

Reactions: MongGrel

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Thanks for posting that Silverstone item link. Apparently, that's more "industrial-strength" than the Swiftech 8-port splitter/hub.

Too bad you can't control three-pin fans as well with it. But I suppose it's not in the cards for this type of device, and only feasible for front-panel or other devices with their own processors and a USB connection to the motherboard.

Also, with the Swiftech device, I discovered (with my Sabertooth Z170, anyway) that you cannot expect it to register with the board's CPU_FAN connection to avoid an alarm at boot-time. I had to have a PWM fan directly connected to that header, and then the hub device connected to the CPU_FAN_OPT port. At least, that's my memory of it. No problem, though. Maybe the Silverstone device would actually avoid that problem.

Frode B. Nilsen

Feb 20, 2017
A heads-up:
That splitter might kill your MB, if it feeds 12V from the SATA power back into the MB fan header. Given the feedback on Amazon, this probably is OK with this one.

What does that capacitor by the way? I get some humming noise from my fans, using a Aquaero 6 PRO. Will this help with such humming noise? My fans spinns just fine, all 8 one the same header, they are just a tad bit noisy.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
A heads-up:
That splitter might kill your MB, if it feeds 12V from the SATA power back into the MB fan header. Given the feedback on Amazon, this probably is OK with this one.

What does that capacitor by the way? I get some humming noise from my fans, using a Aquaero 6 PRO. Will this help with such humming noise? My fans spinns just fine, all 8 one the same header, they are just a tad bit noisy.

No -- it wouldn't kill the motherboard. The connection of the splitter to the motherboard is only the single PWM signal wire. A single wire through a 4-pin PWM plug. I don't think it even has a ground wire with it, but I don't think it would matter, either. With the Swiftech splitter and all the others as far as I can tell, you can only monitor the device on the first port among all the eight, unless you have spare motherboard ports to connect the tach wires of the extra devices. So add the yellow tach-wire to the motherboard connection. But all the power comes from the SATA in a connection isolated from the motherboard fan port.

Frode B. Nilsen

Feb 20, 2017
That is one way of doing it. Still, why the capacitor? That small capacitor is supposed to clean up the 12V from the PSU?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
You're feeding it a PWM signal (pulse width modulation), the capacitor helps smooth out the pulses.
Instead of /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ you get ~~~~~~~~~

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
A heads-up:
As BonzaiDuck said, the 0.1" fan header just connects the tach and PWM signal. Most PWM splitters I've seen (the Silverstone one, Swiftech, etc. ) as well as SATA powered AOI coolers are constructed this way.
You're feeding it a PWM signal (pulse width modulation), the capacitor helps smooth out the pulses.
Instead of /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ you get ~~~~~~~~~
While I don't have one on hand, that's almost certainly not correct. The capacitor will be on the 12V line, and not on the PWM signal. It's likely just for ripple suppression, though it's probably not needed.
If you actually wanted to beef up the PWM signal to prevent the fans from overwhelming the motherboard output, you'd need to buffer them with a transistor on the splitter PCB.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
*snip*
While I don't have one on hand, that's almost certainly not correct. The capacitor will be on the 12V line, and not on the PWM signal. It's likely just for ripple suppression, though it's probably not needed.

Yes, capacitor on the 12v line. Everyone agrees this device is using a PWM signal, which means switching the power ON and OFF (very rapidly).
That means the 12v line will be spiking up and down, and demonstrated best I could with text as /\/\/\ and feeding that through a capacitor will smooth out those spikes...represented best I could with text as ~~~~~

Basically I think they're using a low pass filter to smooth out the PWM, making it behave a little bit more like a voltage control.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Yes, capacitor on the 12v line. Everyone agrees this device is using a PWM signal, which means switching the power ON and OFF (very rapidly).
That means the 12v line will be spiking up and down, and demonstrated best I could with text as /\/\/\ and feeding that through a capacitor will smooth out those spikes...represented best I could with text as ~~~~~

Basically I think they're using a low pass filter to smooth out the PWM, making it behave a little bit more like a voltage control.
A capacitor on the 12V line like that won't work as a low pass filter. It's essentially a small capacitor in parallel (though a short wire and SATA cable) to the large capacitance within your PSU. If you think of a PWM fan like this....
howpcfanswork_1269881543.png

then for the capacitor to have a filtering effect it would need to be on the output of the transistor, which is internal to the fan. That image is still a gross simplification as there isn't a big transistor in the fan, the digital PWM signal feeds into the control circuit that handles the electronic commutation of the fan. It's that circuitry that determines speed, no amount of filtering will make it more voltage control like.