Desktop. Win7 Dell from 2009. What should I upgrade to?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I am running the same PC desktop for almost 10 years.
It works great, but it's been freezing (just cleaned up the cooling fan)

If I decide to replace it, what would you suggest?
Just need something for basic home productivity.

Still running Win 7.
Over the years, I've upgraded a few bits:
  • 512GB SSD
  • 2TB SATA
  • Maxed out to 8GB RAM
  • Replaced the graphics card
  • Aftermarket liquid cooled fan.
W6rXykmJQRCmXqt2EoE3BA.png

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you're thinking of a new prebuilt, Dell Small Business Vostro desktops are still decent machines, and Acer home PCs use quiet designs but you have to uninstall more crapware unless you get it from The Microsoft Store (their PCs offer clean Windows).

Since it's a desktop an i5 should be reasonably priced and integrated graphics are enough.

Or are you thinking of building the new PC?

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I can go either way.

Sometime around year 2000, it did not make sense to build your own PC, from a cost savings standpoint.
At that point, I just bought an overstock/warehouse deal Dell every 6-7 years.
If there is any benefit to building, I would consider it, but my PC skills are outdated.

Otherwise, I am fine with a prebuilt. However, I only want a "clean Windows" build.
Sort of like Moto X Pure and Android. I don't want all that bloatware.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Dell Small Business is pretty good about that, though they might have AV software and Office trials installed. Dell off-lease was even better the last time I looked. The PCs that the Microsoft Store sells are not allowed to have any bloat.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
What sort of specs should I be looking at, if I bother to upgrade my machine?
Any new CPU will be faster, so does that even factor in ?
512GB, 8GB, and 2TB. Do I need to bother going beyond that?
I am not even sure what differences there are anymore.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
If you're so budget inclined, you might just refurbish what you have. What CPU do you have? Buying a new PC won't increase your speed much for office apps.

Freezing usually indicates 3 possible problems: RAM, HDD, or motherboard. You can test your RAM and HDD to make sure they're functioning correctly. If they are, you might just need a new motherboard.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you're so budget inclined, you might just refurbish what you have. What CPU do you have? Buying a new PC won't increase your speed much for office apps.

Freezing usually indicates 3 possible problems: RAM, HDD, or motherboard. You can test your RAM and HDD to make sure they're functioning correctly. If they are, you might just need a new motherboard.

That's a thought, if cheap motherboards are still available. I got a few extra years of use out of a core 2 E8400 by replacing the dying motherboard with a $35 ECS cheapie.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
That's a thought, if cheap motherboards are still available. I got a few extra years of use out of a core 2 E8400 by replacing the dying motherboard with a $35 ECS cheapie.

If it's 8GB DDR3 RAM and it's tested working, he could certainly do a "refresh" with a 2nd-4th gen i3 processor and budget mobo. That would cost only $60-80, and give him a nice performance boost. This option would depend upon 2 caveats, though:

1) Being tech savvy enough to remove the old motherboard. I'm assuming if he has the proficiency to install new CPU heatsink, HDD, and SSD he can do the motherboard/CPU too.

2) The Dell OEM PSU would need standard ATX 24-pin and 4-pin connectors. Some of the extremely old Dell prebuilts have slightly different power connectors on the motherboard. If the PSU is too old, the caps might start leaking.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
What exactly is the upgrade going to be used for?

The Window licence is typically tied to the MB so if the MB is replaced you may have trouble with Windows.

What kind of budget are we looking at?

8GB is not a lot by today's standard but it should get you by.

A 512 SSD and 2 TB HD sounds pretty nice. No need to upgrade unless you are running out of space.

That CPU is pretty slow by modern standards but curiously having a super fast CPU is often times not needed. Of course sometimes it is, depending on what the computer is being used for.

I'd take a fairly old CPU with an SSD over a super fast new CPU with an old slow HD for most everyday tasks.

Ideally you would have a fast CPU, a fast SSD and a big storage HD. Looks like you already have 2 out of 3.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
This is a VERY nice pre-built for $1,479.99:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230316

CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Xtreme GXC780 Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8700 (3.20 GHz) 16 GB DDR4 2 TB HDD 16 GB Optane Memory NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

I'm assuming this is most likely over budget but maybe if you only buy one PC every 10 years you can afford it?

That 8700 is a 6 core CPU, very nice!

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I was getting freezing 2 years ago, and I replaced the SSD, which solved it.
This time, I cleared the fan dust, which solved it.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I did consider upgrading the CPU a few years back, but the incremental upgrade was not worth it.

Replacing the MB & CPU? Hmm, I would consider that, if it makes sense.
My current specs are in my sig: QuadCore Athlon II X4 635, Motherboard=04GJJT
Can anyone suggest a sensible upgrade that is plug and play? (MB Size? Power supply?)

It would make sense to replace the old RAM while I am at it?
8GB is fine, except when I have 50 browsers open (which should tell me to close them, not get more RAM)

CPU speed is perfectly fine, but is a little slow for my monthly video editing/rendering
45 mins to render 15 mins. of footage. This is acceptable as batch operation while I cook.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
If you are going to replace the RAM you can go for a fully modern MB and CPU. The old CPU was suggested so you could keep your RAM and also to save money.

It sounds like other than once a month you don't really "need" an upgrade. What software are you using to render video?

I'm a fan of the i7-8700k 6 core which goes for about $350 or the AMD 2700X 8 core which goes for about $320. Do you live by a MicroCenter? If those prices are high you could drop down to an i5 level CPU.

A MB is going to be $100 to $200 and 16GB RAM is going to be about $160. You have not yet indicated a budget... Windows 10 might be a requirement and will add a bit of cost as well.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
I did consider upgrading the CPU a few years back, but the incremental upgrade was not worth it.

Replacing the MB & CPU? Hmm, I would consider that, if it makes sense.
My current specs are in my sig: QuadCore Athlon II X4 635, Motherboard=04GJJT
Can anyone suggest a sensible upgrade that is plug and play? (MB Size? Power supply?)

It would make sense to replace the old RAM while I am at it?
8GB is fine, except when I have 50 browsers open (which should tell me to close them, not get more RAM)

CPU speed is perfectly fine, but is a little slow for my monthly video editing/rendering
45 mins to render 15 mins. of footage. This is acceptable as batch operation while I cook.

The main reason I suggested a CPU/mobo refresh is because you already have:

-8GB RAM
-512GB SSD
-2TB SATA HDD

If you bought a brand new desktop, youd be buying all those components again. Since you already have them and they are still excellent by today's standards, that's not necessary.

Is the RAM DDR3? What size modules (1x8gb, 2x4gb, 4x2gb?) If it's DDR3, my suggestion is either an LGA 1155 or LGA 1150 motherboard. Frankly, either one would work. Both accept DDR3. I recommend a motherboard that has 4 memory slots so you can upgrade to 16gb RAM later on if needed.

Do you know the model number of your old motherboard? That would let us determine what power connectors your PSU has, and also if it's a standard mATX or ATX form factor. Some of these Dell cases have non-standard motherboards, so you'd need to make sure the new motherboard matches your case.

Reactions: lakedude

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My personal feeling is, that you should consider building, and use the $99 Ryzen 3 2200G APU (quad-core with Vega 8 Graphics) to start with, along with a $65-130 B350 mATX orATX mobo, and 2x8GB DDR4-3200, preferably CAS14 (b-die), or CAS16 (likely Hynix) ($160-230).

That would allow you to replace the AM4 APU with a 2700X (or successor) in the future, as well as add a dGPU, and you could still game on it. It should be worlds better than the Athlon II X4 (even a cheap G4560 with 8GB DDR4 and a 1TB HDD for $400-500 complete would be better.)

Edit: If you're in a pinch, you could use the $30 Logisys mATX case w/PSU on sale by Newegg on ebay, if you do need a cheap replacement case / PSU combo. I don't really recommend that if you plan to use a dGPU.

Edit:Maybe something like this new custom Ryzen 2200G / 8GB / 1TB / Win10 rig on ebay for $385 shipped from NJ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-...ter-8GB-1TB-Win-10-Custom-System/192541530380

(NOT my listing.)

Last edited:

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
My user name means I don't need to spend on performance I don't need.
So, I have no real budget. If I saw value in the $1500 or $1000 system, I would just get it.
I use my PC constantly, and I like having nice things. But, I don't like wasting money, either.
Efficiency and optimization appeal more to me than shiny new things.

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I see the logic in the MB upgrade, and that is my preferred option.
Saves money and hassle (no new OS reinstall, etc)
I can reuse my RAM, HDMI video card, SSD, SATA HD, etc

My MB says 04GJJT.
It has 4 RAM slots.
I think it is ATX
https://www.google.com/search?q=04GJJT

My power supply is: hp-p3017F3
I think that is also newer/replaced a few years back.

I would need to buy a MB/CPU that fits inside this case.
Is there a standard size? I think this is a compact mini-tower (Inspiron 570)

Last edited:

GoodEnough

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2011
I also like the idea that if I mess up the MB swap,
I can just revert back to my old MB/CPU/RAM.
No risk except a few lost bucks.

Will my existing Win7 image work with a new MB?

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Will my existing Win7 image work with a new MB?
Legally no. The OS licence is typically tied to the motherboard. The kind of upgrade you are thinking about is legally a whole new computer. That said Windows 7 drivers should be available and Windows 7 should work with the new hardware. There will be some issues when you first power up because the OS will be expecting your old hardware. You might need a second computer to download drivers and for troubleshooting.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Here is a build assuming you keep your SSD but replace the rest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($178.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($100.56 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($127.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $642.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-10 23:04 EDT-0400

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
I see the logic in the MB upgrade, and that is my preferred option. Saves money and hassle (no new OS reinstall, etc) I can reuse my RAM, HDMI video card, SSD, SATA HD, etc My MB says 04GJJT. It has 4 RAM slots. I think it is ATX https://www.google.com/search?q=04GJJT My power supply is: hp-p3017F3 I think that is also newer/replaced a few years back. I would need to buy a MB/CPU that fits inside this case. Is there a standard size? I think this is a compact mini-tower (Inspiron 570)

It's a Micro ATX (mATX) motherboard. An ATX motherboard wouldn't fit your case.

For a CPU/mobo refresh, you have 3 options:

1) Core i5 CPU/mobo refresh ($64-68)

Since you already have the DDR3 RAM, you can select an LGA 1155/1150 motherboard and CPU. I did a search and your 04GJJT motherboard is the same form factor as the Dell J3C2F mATX motherboard. The only thing is the front panel (FPANEL) connectors might be different, I am not certain of this: https://imgur.com/a/AFLAUyq

2) Core i7 CPU/mobo refresh ($120-130)

For $60 more you get a 4 core/8 thread Core i7 processor. If you decided to do more rendering.
3) PSU and case refresh

A new PSU and case will cost $60-80 on top of the above options. A new case might require a new motherboard which will be $50-60. Total cost of a full CPU/mobo, case, and PSU refresh: $200 for the i5, $250 for the i7.

Last edited: