Question Desktop vs mobile CPU

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Hi, is there a quick and dirty place for seeing the relative performance between desktop and mobile processors?
I tried the Anandtech Bench thing but CPU naming schemes seem a bit chaotic when trying to compare mobile vs desktop.

Basically I want to see if its worth building a new desktop or just getting a nice laptop and using a docking station with an eGPU.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
(8c/16t, laptop to desktop)
I think this is a bit absurd since ADL is ( 8+4 for the K / 6+8 on the laptop H side )which gives you 20 threads. You would have to use the crappy 10/11th gen CPUs to compare to AMD in any flavor and they would get demolished.

Comparing hybrid to hybrid is only fair and AFAIK AMD doesn't have a hybrid option at this point.

Now, next gen both AMD/Intel seem to be moving to chiplets but, how they get stacked will most likely get different unless there's a common interconnect standard being used which they're working on currently.

For this thread though if we want to compare 8C/16T you'd have to disable the E cores on ADL / RPL.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
I think this is a bit absurd since ADL is 8+6 which gives you 20 threads. You would have to use the crappy 10/11th gen CPUs
I have laptops with i7-10750H and i3-1125G4. They don't "feel" crappy. But the 12th gen ones do have the crappy E-cores. If Intel allows OEMs to release 8C/16T P-core only laptops, I would welcome that very much.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I have laptops with i7-10750H and i3-1125G4. They don't "feel" crappy. But the 12th gen ones do have the crappy E-cores. If Intel allows OEMs to release 8C/16T P-core only laptops, I would welcome that very much.
I'm talking CPU only not what they're placed into.

The CPU was a placeholder until ADL came out of production for sale. When does either Intel or AMD make 2 runs with a major tech change like goin from PCIE 3 >> 4? Then jump again to Gen5 less than 2 cycles later.

Does your ADL laptop BIOS allow disabling E-cores (permanently or with Scroll Lock)?
Don't know, don't care as it runs fine with them enabled and they seem to get used when looking at the CPU tiles.

1670187968408.png

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Looks like 13900HX will be able to take revenge from the 7700X. But laptops using it will be priced such that you could make two 7700X systems for the same price.
16 thread max.... The 13900hx will be more than that I would guess. Its not even on the chart you linked anyway.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
the closest I could find was this. The 7700x murders the 12600hx. Both 16 threads. I can't find any 13xxx chips.

Is there a faster laptop chip with 16 threads ?
1670204762475.png

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
No, 2 e-cores = 1 p-core so 6+4 would be close. Or 4+8 or 4+8/2=4 = 16.
You're smoking some good stuff if you're comparing E^2 to P. There's not going to be a direct comparison since they get handled differently when tasks are routed to them by the director whether MSFT or *nix.

Systems will push to the P cores with preference over E cores and won't bundle the performance of 2 * E to make a single P as the E cores are single threaded.

Jul 27, 2020
won't bundle the performance of 2 * E to make a single P as the E cores are single threaded.
He meant the multithreaded performance of 2 E-cores is roughly equal to single threaded performance of one P-core. Of course if a single thread needing maximum performance ends up on an E-core, it will finish its task almost twice as slow. This is what I hate about E-cores.

Intel insists on using the E-cores in tandem with P-cores but I would rather that the E-cores never did anything mission critical. Just let the OS use the E-cores for its dozens of threads or maybe antivirus or checking e-mail etc. All low priority tasks. There are reports of users complaining that the Start menu opens slowly for them on Windows 11 because the Start menu thread is somehow ending up on an E-core.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
He meant the multithreaded performance of 2 E-cores is roughly equal to single threaded performance of one P-core. Of course if a single thread needing maximum performance ends up on an E-core, it will finish its task almost twice as slow. This is what I hate about E-cores.

Intel insists on using the E-cores in tandem with P-cores but I would rather that the E-cores never did anything mission critical. Just let the OS use the E-cores for its dozens of threads or maybe antivirus or checking e-mail etc. All low priority tasks. There are reports of users complaining that the Start menu opens slowly for them on Windows 11 because the Start menu thread is somehow ending up on an E-core.
For purposes of trying to answer the OPs question, the best I can come up with is use one zen4 core ~= one p-core ~= 2 ecores.

deskptop vs laptop. If you have a laptop with only 8 p-cores, then fine. Otherwise this is the best I can answer.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
For purposes of trying to answer the OPs question, the best I can come up with is use one zen4 core ~= one p-core ~= 2 ecores.

deskptop vs laptop. If you have a laptop with only 8 p-cores, then fine. Otherwise this is the best I can answer.
1670207842096.png

I'll give you the E cores are competitive but you won't likely be forcing them into turbo mode to meet the threshold of 2 additional P cores.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, but, LGA socket options are limited if they exist at all right now for ADL or RPL when it comes to market. Clevo is the origin for most of the alternate brands that are marketed by XMG / Sager / others. The most recent socketed CPU I've seen is an 11th gen.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9672M-G1.html - aka X170KM-G

Looks like there's a new X270 model though w/ an A770 inside of it.
Looks like it's a BGA though instead of socketed like the prior gen was. If anyone is going to make a desktop CPU laptop Clevo is the name to keep an eye on. They're also the same company that will potentially let you swap out GPU models in a laptop format if there's any extension of using MXM or a new format that allows for a GPU swap like they did in the past.