Desktop to a TV wirelessly?

TazFTW

Sep 2, 2010
Apologize if this is the wrong subforum as I'm not really sure where the best fit is.

The boss has the idea that we can have a TV in the conference room and then anyone with a laptop can go into the room and have their desktop displayed on the TV wirelessly for meetings/presentations (i.e. excel spreadsheets or power point, not tv/movies). My limited searching has given me the following options:

Apple TV - From what I can tell, you would need a app (AirParrot) to do this if you don't have a Mac. The con is that you need the app on each device which means visitors are out of luck. Visitors would need to plug in via HDMI, which if we needed to have a cable available why bother going wireless?

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter - Only works on Windows 8.1+ devices.

Chromecast - Only works for things that can be run from a Chrome browser.

Is there anything else? I figure what I am looking for is some sort of plug and play dongle but there doesn't seem to be anything out there.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
A miracast or widi receiver. Pretty much anything that can access wifi can do widi for Intel the last couple of generations.

TazFTW

Sep 2, 2010
chromecast has experimental feature of supporting the whole desktop.

"Experimental" doesn't give me that much confidence but it does look like people have had success with it. Might give it a shot as it is inexpensive.

A miracast or widi receiver. Pretty much anything that can access wifi can do widi for Intel the last couple of generations.

We looked into WiDi first but our company doesn't have many "new" laptops that have that feature. Also if this article, http://www.tomsguide.com/us/wireless-video-miracast-widi-problems,news-19246.html is anything to go off of it is currently a mess.

azazel1024

Jan 6, 2014
"Experimental" doesn't give me that much confidence but it does look like people have had success with it. Might give it a shot as it is inexpensive.

We looked into WiDi first but our company doesn't have many "new" laptops that have that feature. Also if this article, http://www.tomsguide.com/us/wireless-video-miracast-widi-problems,news-19246.html is anything to go off of it is currently a mess.

It isn't really a mess. There are some products that don't work well and some that do.

As for not having many new laptops, nothing Ivy or Haswell? I think Sandy supports it as well. Other than that, nope, you are pretty much SOL. Either newer gear, or wire it up. If you really want to connect almost anything easily, just get a 15ft (or however long you need) HDMI cable, run it through some "no trip" strip on the floor and then up through the conference table and staple it down so that the connector can't go through and fall under the table. Someone needs to display something, they plug their laptop in real quick.