Design-Your-Own-Home software

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Anyone have any recommendations for this kind of software? I have an older version of Broderbund's 3D Home Architect and the user interface is an abomination.

I haven't found any review comparisons either. If anyone has a link to such a site please post it.

joinT

Lifer
Jan 19, 2001
My parents bought Punch 5in1 home design. It sucks don't buy it.

Can you use like AutoCad or something?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If you find one, let me know. Been through several of them, and they ALL stink. AutoCAD is perfect for precision drawings and prints, but you can't make a nice view of a completed elevation.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Damn shame. You'd think there would be a market for this. If you go to a larger lumber yard, they have software for decks, that REALLY look good. Not sure if theres a comparable one for home designs, but there sure ought to be!

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
If you find one, let me know. Been through several of them, and they ALL stink. AutoCAD is perfect for precision drawings and prints, but you can't make a nice view of a completed elevation.

AutoCAD is perfect for architects and it makes wonderful plan views and elevations.

The problem with home design software is that it can't read minds. The problem in this case is located between the chair and the keyboard. :D Go to school, take some classes in architecture, design your own home.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
you'd need AutoCAD with the Architectural Desktop add-on.

it's AWESOME for doing buildings and such.

Arch Desktop has lots of built-in functions for stairs and doors and things like that. and it has a large library of furnishings too

flot

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Like 7-8 years ago I used 3d home architect. For the time, it was decent software.

I was looking for the same thing about a year ago, and I keep seeing references to version 6 which apparently was the last good version, but the current shipping version at the time was version 7, which everyone said was absolute crap. (I could be wrong on the version numbers, maybe it was 5 and 6 or 7 and 8 - ??? )

If you do some web searches I suspect you'll find the same sort of info, and you might be able to track down whatever the last decent version was...

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Call me silly, but I used The Sims with the Livin' Large expansion pack to figure out how to arrange the furniture in my apartment before I moved in :)

Sure, it's not AutoCad, but it's cheaper and a LOT easier to use!

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Call me silly, but I used The Sims with the Livin' Large expansion pack to figure out how to arrange the furniture in my apartment before I moved in :)

Sure, it's not AutoCad, but it's cheaper and a LOT easier to use!

Thats what I did too. My parents used it to design their second story and give the architect a visual of what they wanted.