DeSantis now dictating school curriculums from the capital of Florida

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Republicans have figured out their numbers are in trouble and what better way to boost numbers than to start indoctrination early while the children’s minds are total sponges. You’ve got to hand it to them, they realize the long game better than the Dems. This isn’t happening only in Florida, republicans are infiltrating school boards every where they can.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

sothsegger

Jul 6, 2004
DeSantis mandates by law Students be taught to hate Communist leaders. Indoctrination 101. Do this instead of just teaching the history and let students draw conclusions.

I'm sure next from the DeSantis propaganda camp.

1 hour seminar titled "Hitler was bad"
"Apartheid, was it really that bad?" (not sure they can teach this one since it involves race)

DeSantis signs bill mandating communism lessons in class, as GOP leans on education (msn.com)

Such a policy could have blowback

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
School board elections are typically non-political.

This was before the animus of Trump. Now, in some states, school board elections constitute life and death.

Several states have joined the anti-CRT nonsense. A mere photo of a historical Black figure sends so many Conservatives into a blind rage these days.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
This is a must read. It explains what’s happening in Florida with CRT, banning math books, new school curriculums and who’s behind it. As I’ve said in the past, DeSantis is dangerous, much more so than trump in some ways. Whether he is elected for a second term as governor or not, he will still probably run for President in 2024 IMO.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Woke Act gets another smack down.

“Positively dystopian”: Judge cites Orwell to block censorship law backed by Ron DeSantis | Salon.com

"To confront certain viewpoints that offend the powers that be, the state of Florida passed the so-called 'Stop WOKE Act in 2022—redubbed (in line with the state's doublespeak) the 'Individual Freedom Act,'" Walker continued. "The law officially bans professors from expressing disfavored viewpoints in university classrooms while permitting unfettered expression of the opposite viewpoints. Defendants argue that, under this act, professors enjoy 'academic freedom' so long as they express only those viewpoints of which the State approves. This is positively dystopian."

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Another perfect example of how to create a dictatorship inside of a democracy, or how to exploit the freedoms that democracy gives us and turn it on itself in order to devolve it into an autocracy.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Wow, this is horrible. We now have what conservatives in FL think woke means. I can understand now why they are against one of the most heinous crimes against humanity.
Now I understand why we can't possibly have systemic anything in this country.

Taryn Fenske, DeSantis’ Communications Director said “woke” was a “slang term for activism…progressive activism” and a general belief in systemic injustices in the country.

DeSantis Officials Finally Tell Us What “Woke” Means – Mother Jones

Reactions: Pohemi

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Wow, this is horrible. We now have what conservatives in FL think woke means. I can understand now why they are against one of the most heinous crimes against humanity.
Now I understand why we can't possibly have systemic anything in this country.

Taryn Fenske, DeSantis’ Communications Director said “woke” was a “slang term for activism…progressive activism” and a general belief in systemic injustices in the country.

DeSantis Officials Finally Tell Us What “Woke” Means – Mother Jones

That answer is dangerously close to suggesting they were trying to silence political speech.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
This is why it's so important for parents to turn out to keep Republican nutjobs as far away from their kids' education as possible. Don't let crazed old geezers with nothing better to do mess up your kids.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
DeSantis is running schemes in Florida much like any 'ol half-ass dictator wannabe would. And what about the folks who keep him in office? If they like a guy like DeSantis to be their leader, it sure does speak a whole lot about what direction they want to drag the nation down into, or if they even care.

• Love

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
This is a must read. It explains what’s happening in Florida with CRT, banning math books, new school curriculums and who’s behind it. As I’ve said in the past, DeSantis is dangerous, much more so than trump in some ways. Whether he is elected for a second term as governor or not, he will still probably run for President in 2024 IMO.

DeSantis is going to turn the state’s most liberal public university into Hillsdale College of Florida.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
They really need to turn on the oppo machine on this guy NOW. Not that "bad news" can sink a GQP candidate anymore, but it's malpractice to ignore it.

• Love
Reactions: tweaker2 and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How many times do I have to say, "I told you so" when it comes to DeSantis and Republicans across the country trying to cancel black history?
Outcry Grows After DeSantis Rejects AP African-American Studies Course (yahoo.com)

I could have put this here or in the Republicans prove again they are racist thread but it’s tied to the new Florida education curriculums. AP African American studies was rejected because in their words

“It has no educational value”

“We don’t care about teaching the history of those darkies. We only want white history taught”

That’s me speculating Republican talk behind closed doors. Know why I can say that? Guess whose history is part of the AP history curriculum? You guessed it, EUROPEAN

We can’t study the history of those ni**ers but we want white history taught

Last edited: