DeSantis now dictating school curriculums from the capital of Florida

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
All of the conservative "christians" in Ron's legislature are piling on because they know he will approve this stuff. We continue to go back to the 50's & 60's where boys learned about sex from their dad's Playboy in the nightstand and girls learned about it in the backseat of a car.

Florida Scoured Math Textbooks for 'Prohibited Topics.' Next Up: Social Studies.
Florida can say goodbye to the full truth about MLK, Rosa Parks and Ruby Bridges. Interesting DeSantis thinks kids will feel bad learning history in its entirety, yet these same kids practice active shooter drills.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Reactions: Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
You would almost think that conservatives are obsessed with sex.
It wouldn't be nearly as big an issue for them if they weren't so self-repressed and 'vanilla' with their (public) views on the subject. It's all that faux moral grandstanding based on...you guessed it...religion.

Funny how all their rhetoric-screaming is projection from their figures in the mirror.

Reactions: hal2kilo

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008

It's not just Florida, it's the growing plague across America. These people actually do believe they can just make certain people go away. Become invisible. Pretend like they never existed. You can't tell me this was not exactly how it stared with Hitler and the Jews. No matter how far they go, how far they want to go, they always find more ways to attack. Does DeSantis and the others actually believe in what they are doing? Or is this just a new way to gain power and control? Hitler claimed Jews were destroying the Germany economy, DeSantis claims gays and trans are destroying THE CHILDREN of America. Both were not true, but the damage was done regardless.
When you think about it, the only way that DeSantis and his school boards can save THE CHILDREN would be the same solution used by Hitler, concentration camps. The LGBTQ are not going away and when the DeSantis ideology realizes they can not shut them up the only alternative will be to lock them up. Criminalize the very act of being ones self. Ron DeSantis, make Adolf proud.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Still think DeSantis isn't trying to cancel black history? Check out the rewrite of history books in Florida because of pressure from the Groomer. Check out the before and after on Rosa Parks.
Report: Florida textbook altered Rosa Parks story to remove references to race - al.com

Now hear me out here, just from reading that article, it seems like this particular publisher took it upon themselves to remove any mention of race or why Rosa Parks had to give up her seat because that's what they thought FL law would require. But it turns out the FL department of education itself rejected this:

"The Florida Department of Education suggested that Studies Weekly had overreached. Any publisher that “avoids the topic of race when teaching the Civil Rights movement, slavery, segregation, etc. would not be adhering to Florida law,” the department said in a statement, as reported by the Times."

I'm no fan of the current FL government, but this is a very misleading article.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Now hear me out here, just from reading that article, it seems like this particular publisher took it upon themselves to remove any mention of race or why Rosa Parks had to give up her seat because that's what they thought FL law would require. But it turns out the FL department of education itself rejected this:

"The Florida Department of Education suggested that Studies Weekly had overreached. Any publisher that “avoids the topic of race when teaching the Civil Rights movement, slavery, segregation, etc. would not be adhering to Florida law,” the department said in a statement, as reported by the Times."

I'm no fan of the current FL government, but this is a very misleading article.
Who do you think prompted them to do that? Done on their own?

Also, what was wrong with the original text???
In the current lesson on Rosa Parks, segregation is clearly explained: “The law said African Americans had to give up their seats on the bus if a white person wanted to sit down.”

What is wrong with the above???????

Don't be naive. All these anti black history and anti-gay laws are written so vague it cowers teachers and publishers to remove the topic altogether. Then when they do Pubs come up behind them and claim, "we didn't mean for them do that". That's what happens when you open up everyone to be sued by crazy and bigoted parents. They wanted this chaos.

Are you falling for their bullshit???

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Who do you think prompted them to do that? Done on their own?

Also, what was wrong with the original text???

What is wrong with the above???????

Don't be naive. All these anti black history and anti-gay laws are written so vague it cowers teachers and publishers to remove the topic altogether. Then when they do Pubs come up behind them and claim, "we didn't mean for them do that". That's what happens when you open up everyone to be sued by crazy and bigoted parents. They wanted this chaos.

Are you falling for their bullshit???
These are all so ridiculously vague, I'm surprised they even mentioned that Susan B Anthony helped women get the vote.

Reactions: Pohemi

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
More curriculum chaos caused by Ron. I'll bet Ron is eating this stuff up trying to own the libs. I wonder who is Ron's Stephen Miller.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A Florida English professor whose lessons about racial justice put him at odds with his university's administrators has been fired, the professor said.

Sam Joeckel, a veteran professor at Palm Beach Atlantic University, said in a statement Thursday that the West Palm Beach school had “made the disappointing decision to terminate my contract early.”

The move comes a month after school administrators told Joeckel they were investigating a concern raised by a parent that he was “indoctrinating” his students by incorporating lessons about racial justice into his writing composition course.

Joeckel, who has taught at the 3,700-student Christian school for two decades, said he has long included teachings about racial justice in the class and that administrators had never expressed concerns about them before.

“They did this for a clear reason: my decision to teach and speak about racial justice,” Joeckel said. “The timing of this is not a coincidence as we are dealing with an ‘anti-woke’ crusade from Governor DeSantis and other far-right politicians and activists. PBA was clearly influenced by this toxic political ideology.”

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
More curriculum chaos caused by Ron. I'll bet Ron is eating this stuff up trying to own the libs. I wonder who is Ron's Stephen Miller.

This is exactly what I mean. Don't know why @gothuevos doesn't seem to get it. Parents will sue left and right until all references of race are removed from classrooms and books.

If I was a college professor and had other job options, I would do an entire week on the Tulsa Race Massacre with all its gory details and dare the school to fire me. I would record the lesson and post to social media.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is exactly what I mean. Don't know why @gothuevos doesn't seem to get it. Parents will sue left and right until all references of race are removed from classrooms and books.

If I was a college professor and had other job options, I would do an entire week on the Tulsa Race Massacre with all its gory details and dare the school to fire me. I would record the lesson and post to social media.
Yes, and importantly the people suing do not need to have kids in the class or even at the school. Anyone, anywhere can sue any educational institution they want.

It's a lot like the bounty program Texas set up - weaponizing private lawsuits.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yes, and importantly the people suing do not need to have kids in the class or even at the school. Anyone, anywhere can sue any educational institution they want.

It's a lot like the bounty program Texas set up - weaponizing private lawsuits.
yEs BuT wE nEeD sMalLeR gOvErNmEnT...

Which is why they enabled and left it up to parents to file all the random and pointless lawsuits...cuz small government or something? IDK. I can't even follow the rationalization at this point, it's all just nonsense.

Sidenote, not that it makes any more or less sense depending on the answer, but out of pure curiosity...why the fuck is the state getting complaints from the parent of a University student? Talk about sheltering, patronizing, and controlling your adult child. Way to cling to any excuse to be a shitheel.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
yEs BuT wE nEeD sMalLeR gOvErNmEnT...

Which is why they enabled and left it up to parents to file all the random and pointless lawsuits...cuz small government or something? IDK. I can't even follow the rationalization at this point, it's all just nonsense.

Sidenote, not that it makes any more or less sense depending on the answer, but out of pure curiosity...why the fuck is the state getting complaints from the parent of a University student? Talk about sheltering, patronizing, and controlling your adult child. Way to cling to any excuse to be a shitheel.

The complaint was from a "concerned" parent reporting it directly to the university. It's a private Christian university in West Palm Beach. The rich, affluant parents don't want their babies learning about race stuff. It might make their babies cry.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The complaint was from a "concerned" parent reporting it directly to the university. It's a private Christian university in West Palm Beach. The rich, affluant parents don't want their babies learning about race stuff. It might make their babies cry.
I figured it was a smaller private school or it likely wouldn't have even made the news. I was curious why it was a parent making the complaint and not the student. It isn't as if this is a grade school (because it wouldn't be taught in primary education to begin with) where parents should maybe be more concerned with the curriculum.

Now these twat parents are trying to control what their adult children can learn or be exposed to at college level. I know DeSantis has already been pulling some fuckery with private colleges and their boardmembers, but seriously what the fuck is wrong with these assholes? Don't like it? Send your shitspawn to a different college.

Christofascists just want control of everyone and everything in our society. Which is right inline with what the GOP wants. Shocker that they go hand in hand.

Reactions: hal2kilo