DeSantis is now into human trafficking

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
It has not fully backfired yet. This is from Friday (Sept. 9, 2022) morning's front page of the New York Post:

This is disgusting. A former POTUS, who is still roundly beloved around the world, has to give up his home, his security and his peace because some selfish right-winger says he must.

How come no one is demanding the uber rich share their many homes? It's not like they have only one. As a former POTUS, Obama is due Secret Service protection and more importantly, respect.

I said this would get ugly. In New York City and other cities, I predict some pretty nasty political battles between the long-time working poor and those who want to be replace them. Many municipal budgets are going to be shredded because these new arrivals must be housed, fed, afforded health care and their children educated.

Well, at least the migrants can always avail themselves of a glass of clean drinking water.
Please, CTFD. Don’t act like a chicken little.

As was pointed out NYC was BUILT by immigrants. This isn’t going to crush them.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I don't know who or what CTFD is. I was discussing municipal finances. And the financial outlook is breaking New York City.

There are few affordable apartments available, the shelter system is at near capacity and another disease outbreak may cause a panic. New York City is not the end all for those who are suffering or feel they can break laws because they want a better life.

Black Slaves helped build New York City because they took part in everything and they were not immigrants.

They were human beings considered less than human and therefore subject to a myriad of indignities and punishments. And in many cases, this is still true for their descendants today.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
Should ask her, why not have a different former POTUS with even more real estate available to house these migrants?

A question I will leave to the TV pundits. It appears she sides with Republicans.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I don't know who or what CTFD is. I was discussing municipal finances. And the financial outlook is breaking New York City.
This is…uhhh…not true. I work extensively with the city budget, what aspects of it are you referring to being broken by an influx of migrants?

There are few affordable apartments available, the shelter system is at near capacity and another disease outbreak may cause a panic. New York City is not the end all for those who are suffering or feel they can break laws because they want a better life.

New York is one of the best places in the country for newly arrived immigrants because support networks here are really robust.

As far as limited housing goes, that’s a problem the city has as a whole and a few thousand additional immigrants aren’t going to change it. Only actually building houses will.

A new disease causing a panic? Absolutely not. Nonsense.

Black Slaves helped build New York City because they took part in everything and they were not immigrants.

They were human beings considered less than human and therefore subject to a myriad of indignities and punishments. And in many cases, this is still true for their descendants today.
And after New York no longer permitted slavery waves of migrants continued to build the city into what it is today.

New York City thrives on immigrants more than almost anywhere in the world. They are absolutely essential in every aspect of how the city works. They comprise nearly half the population.

I don’t know if you live in NYC but I do and what you describe has no bearing on reality.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I would not be unhappy to see the FBI turn everybody involved in this upside down.
I hope they do - DHS is a shit stain of an organization and should be broken up. I've known several people who worked for CBP down at San Ysidro and the stories they have about their coworkers and especially ICE are...bad.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
one last comment.

Like Gov DeSantis or not and I know virtually everyone here does not, you have to admit he reached God level Troll with this. :p

enjoy

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: CHADBOGA and iRONic

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Unless one of these migrants video recorded their interaction, those texts that they have from just a first name sadly won't hold up in court.

Well sting time to catch these repugicans in the act.
or the cops could work the case. they had in-person interactions, get a description, start checking cell phone logs, all the usual shit.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
one last comment.

Like Gov DeSantis or not and I know virtually everyone here does not, you have to admit he reached God level Troll with this. :p

enjoy
Yes, the purpose of this was not to help his state, not to help these migrants, and not to help the people of Massachusetts. It was to waste taxpayer money to get attention and make people mad, as if that’s what an adult elected official should do.

If that’s something that appeals to you (and it appears to) then I guess you are happy. I wish you would have just admitted that’s what you liked though instead of pretending to care about the law, which it appears the migrants followed and De Santis did not.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yes, the purpose of this was not to help his state, not to help these migrants, and not to help the people of Massachusetts. It was to waste taxpayer money to get attention and make people mad, as if that’s what an adult elected official should do.

If that’s something that appeals to you (and it appears to) then I guess you are happy. I wish you would have just admitted that’s what you liked though instead of pretending to care about the law, which it appears the migrants followed and De Santis did not.
And to that i will add: good thing that the rights and wellbeing of people you deem inferior to yourself can go by the wayside in order to "troll" people you dont agree with.

Way to upset the hypothesis that all conservatives give a shit about is "owning the libs".

Conservatives can never decide what they're for until they know what "liberals" are against.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
People who think it’s admirable or amusing the governor decided to “troll” with these people seem to subscribe to his idea that they are simply disposable things unworthy of better treatment. Cruelty is funny though right and so is fucking over the vulnerable. Hilarious stuff.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
People keep focusing on Trump as DeSantis moonwalks through the backdoor of the White House. It's gonna be wild days ahead. I keep saying DeSantis makes Trump look like a leftist.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
And to that i will add: good thing that the rights and wellbeing of people you deem inferior to yourself can go by the wayside in order to "troll" people you dont agree with.

Way to upset the hypothesis that all conservatives give a shit about is "owning the libs".

Conservatives can never decide what they're for until they know what "liberals" are against.
If DeSantis and Abbott think federal asylum law needs to be changed maybe they should come up with some concrete proposals for how to change it. I'm sure they will get right on that any second now.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
People who think it’s admirable or amusing the governor decided to “troll” with these people seem to subscribe to his idea that they are simply disposable things unworthy of better treatment. Cruelty is funny though right and so is fucking over the vulnerable. Hilarious stuff.

Then why are the Democrats crying in the dumpee cities? Because they are finding out what border states have known all along, that it is expensive, time consuming and in fact unnecessary when all these illegals can apply from their country of origin or remain in Mexico.

The scam is not everyone will qualify. But who is going to round them up and send them home once they are here taking jobs and draining resources?

Send them back home and let them apply from abroad. Until then it's just a scam they are all taking advantage of by the millions thanks to our incompetent president.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Then why are the Democrats crying in the dumpee cities? Because they are finding out what border states have known all along, that it is expensive, time consuming and in fact unnecessary when all these illegals can apply from their country of origin or remain in Mexico.

The scam is not everyone will qualify. But who is going to round them up and send them home once they are here taking jobs and draining resources?

Send them back home and let them apply from abroad. Until then it's just a scam they are all taking advantage of by the millions thanks to our incompetent president.

If Republicans don’t like the asylum law they should try to change it instead of deciding to lie to and torture innocent people for political gain (then get angry when it doesn’t work).

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

They aren't illegal though, this has already been explained.

It's hard to take conservatives seriously about immigration issues when they can't even understand the very basics of the system. How can you change something you're totally clueless about?

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

Post 130 dispels your sky is falling myth straight from the horses mouth.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I mean how petulant, petty and cruel these white christian men are. Lying to people then sending them to places out of spite. Just notify a state you are sending people there and coordinate with them like adults. Playing politics with people's lives as Biden put it, but it's way worse than that - that makes it almost sound polite.

These people are true pieces of shit and they do it to appeal to their base, which, if you don't want to say it, you should start to know the enemy now - they are also all PIECES OF SHIT.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It’s not that they don’t understand, they simply don’t give a shit.
In a sense, sure. I think it’s two things, mostly that they are lying.

1) they (correctly) view framing these people as illegal is to their political advantage so they lie about it.

2) I think a lot of conservatives have a genuine, visceral dislike of immigrants. Just look at all the lurid punishment fantasies we’ve seen here. So, calling them illegal makes it easier to keep hating and dehumanizing.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
In a sense, sure. I think it’s two things, mostly that they are lying.

1) they (correctly) view framing these people as illegal is to their political advantage so they lie about it.

2) I think a lot of conservatives have a genuine, visceral dislike of immigrants. Just look at all the lurid punishment fantasies we’ve seen here. So, calling them illegal makes it easier to keep hating and dehumanizing.
If Republicans don’t like the asylum law they should try to change it instead of deciding to lie to and torture innocent people for political gain (then get angry when it doesn’t work).

But again, you are assuming that 100% of the millions of illegal migrants who have entered illegaly will qualify.

What happens to those that don't, assuming the majority even show up for a hearing? Will Biden setup checkpoints nationwide to catch and deport millions of people?

Of course not.