depo-provera

Scott Newton

Oct 26, 1999
My wife used to take the Depo shot for about 2 years. The other night, we were watching "Investigative Reports" and they were talking about prisoners who were in prison for repeated sexual offenses and those who were offenders in prison. They would use Depo to Chemicaly Castrate the inmates. Depo would cut the Testosterone production for about 3 months at a time therefor they are no longer little horny men....

It is my understanding that Testosterone is what both Males and Females use to "engage" the sex drive. Does this mean that women who are taking the depo shot are losing their sex drives too? My wife said that there was a difference in her drive but we couldn't narrow it down to the Depo shot or the fact we had a new baby and she was just plain worn out (I'll beat some of you to it now...) or if it was my performance (happy now?).

We did ask our GP and he stated that loss of sex drive was not a listed side effect of the meds and he doesn't see how it could effect the sex drive. I looked it up in the PDR myself and it isn't listed but I have seen some information on the net that states otherwise. I trust only about 20% of what I read on the net anymore so we are still wondering....

Anyone (MD or otherwise) care to shed some light on how Depo can kill the sex drive of males but not females. Anyone care to share any positive/negative experiences with depo?

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
yeah chicks eat more and get fat when they are on depo. They lowers the males sex drive when your gf gains 20 lbs.

ChrichtonsGirl

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2000
Emulex, if you meant that to be funny, you should have added a winky or smiley. If not, then you're being a pig.

Scott Newton, sexual side effects have been reported, but in women, are considered to be only a slight risk. Depo is a synthetic progesterone - naturally occuring in women anyway. I'd imagine the men involved in the chemical castration programs are getting a much higher dose than the one your wife would have had. Here's the press release from the FDA when they released the drug in '92:

<< The Food and Drug Administration today announced the approval of Depo
Provera, an injectable contraceptive drug.
The drug, which contains a synthetic hormone similar to the natural
hormone progesterone, protects women from pregnancy for three months per
injection. The hormone is injected into the muscle of the arm or buttock
where it is released into the bloodstream to prevent pregnancy. It is more
than 99 percent effective.
&quot;This drug presents another long-term, effective option for women to
prevent pregnancy,&quot; said FDA Commissioner David A. Kessler, M.D. &quot;As an
injectable, given once every three months, Depo Provera eliminates problems
related to missing a daily dose.&quot;
>>

Here's some information from Indiana University about what Depo is and what it does.

jumblies

Banned
Nov 23, 2000
I'll try to answer your question first, and then address the chemical castration issue.

This comes from a current endocrine text:
The progestogen medroxyprogesterone acetate inhibits testosterone biosynthesis by at least two mechanisms; at low concentrations it appears to inhibit synthesis directly and at higher concentrations it inhibits LH secretion. [981] Dosages of 400 mg/wk by parenteral injection induce a pharmacologic castration and have been used successfully in some men with paraphilia. [982]

982. Meyer WJ, Walker PA, Emory LE, et al. Physical, metabolic, and hormonal effects on men of long-term therapy with medroxyprogesterone acetate. Fertil Steril 1985; 43:102-109.

So, there is evidence that it may suppress testosterone production, and in fact it is being used in prostate cancer therapy, which is frequently a testosterone-dependent cancer. Although I don't believe it is the agent of choice. Thus, we have established that it might be effective.

Pilot experiments done with actual castration (You can be sure they weren't producing testosterone if they were in a jar on someones desk) did not reduce the recidivism rate in sex offenders. This was from a credible source, but I don't have the reference. I'm sure it was done and a failure, otherwise we would be offering voluntary castration in exchange for shorter prison time. The thinking (about the failure) revolved around adrenal androgen production that was more than adequate to replace gonadal loss.

This is a good question and anything that can reduce the incidence of sex offenses is worth investigating, but I don't think this avenue will pan out. Remember also that these offenders will have to come back every 3 months or so to get their shot.

I hope this helps.

Scott Newton

Oct 26, 1999
Way too many long words.....

I think you said that Depo cuts testosterone in females to a degree and also that depo did not work as a castration tool.

Thanks.....

jumblies

Banned
Nov 23, 2000
Yeah,

It probably doesn't do much to female testosterone at the right dose, and probably doesn't do much to male testosterone either.

Every few years some Bleeding heart news program revamps this possibility with the latest hot drug. I always suspect political machinations.