Denver police shoot, kill young woman who struck officer with car

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I am pretty sure white teenagers are doing plenty of stupid things with cars and getting into trouble. When I had teenagers, I told them they were not to give other teenagers rides. That is when the trouble starts.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Sure enough, it is a stolen car and everyone inside is therefore a criminal.

DENVER (Reuters) - A young woman suspected of driving a stolen car filled with teenage passengers was shot dead by Denver police on Monday after she struck an officer with the vehicle as he approached on foot, authorities said.

Grand Theft Auto, Resisting Arrest, Attempted Murder.

This is why people who steal cars should all get a death sentence. They often put other people in danger or kill them.

Last edited:

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

DENVER (Reuters) - A young woman suspected of driving a stolen car filled with teenage passengers was shot dead by Denver police on Monday after she struck an officer with the vehicle as he approached on foot, authorities said.

This is why people who steal cars should all get a death sentence. They often put other people in danger or kill them.

Just like it says in the OP?

You are not a smart man...

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg
lol

How else will we know whether to be outraged or not?
lol

Darwin Award winner

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
So they can all be charged with murder, seeing as the driver was killed in the commission of this shared crime?
Imagine how horrible it would be to do something as stupid as this and then one of you is killed doing it. You'd have to live with that forever.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Did cops consider cars lethal weapons 20 years ago? I just really don't know. Today's culture (of course) shows cars to be deadly weapons. DUI, or avoiding cops, is no longer DUI or avoiding cops, it's now attack with a deadly weapon, etc.

This car, of course, parked in an alley way, would speed from 0 to (trying not to laugh here) 10 miles an hour, in the alley way? This is the deadly weapon?!

Any way, seriously sick kill, cops.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ts-shot-by-denver-police-early-monday-morning

-John

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Did cops consider cars lethal weapons 20 years ago? I just really don't know. Today's culture (of course) shows cars to be deadly weapons. DUI, or avoiding cops, is no longer DUI or avoiding cops, it's now attack with a deadly weapon, etc.

This car, of course, parked in an alley way, would speed from 0 to (trying not to laugh here) 10 miles an hour, in the alley way? This is the deadly weapon?!

Any way, seriously sick kill, cops.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ts-shot-by-denver-police-early-monday-morning

-John

Why stop at 20 years ago? 40 years ago a DUI was a simple ticket and a ride home. Of course laws change depending on how much the incidents affect society. Trying to hit someone with a car is serious.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Deadly, serious.

Whatever.

16 Year Old Girl, in a reported stolen, parked car. Killed by cops.

Reminds me of getting high with my high-school buddies, and maybe getting a bit flustered if/when the cops show up.

These guys (cops) are theoretically trained to deal with things, and yet, something like shooting a 16-year old girl, and a car full of friends, happens.

Maybe they need better training, before we give them guns.

Maybe they need better training, before they can approach a vehicle.

-John

Last edited:

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005
Deadly, serious.

Whatever.

16 Year Old Girl, in a reported stolen, parked car. Killed by cops.

Reminds me of getting high with my high-school buddies, and maybe getting a bit flustered if/when the cops show up.

These guys (cops) are theoretically trained to deal with things, and yet, something like shooting a 16-year old girl, and a car full of friends, happens.

Maybe they need better training, before we give them guns.

Maybe they need better training, before they can approach a vehicle.

-John

Yea, not even remotely close to the same circumstances. They stole a car, then tried to run down a cop.

Return to Zork

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Yea, not even remotely close to the same circumstances. They stole a car, then tried to run down a cop.

Return to Zork
I love the "Return to Zork," but otherwise think you are wrong. I live in Denver, and I have seen pictures of the alley-way on the news, etc. They were parked, having a smoke, and here comes the cops, and the young lady freaks out, and tries to drive. Big mistake, of course... and she paid for it with her life.

Tragic.

And you would hope that cops, etc., highly trained as they are, wouldn't let this happen.

-John

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I love the "Return to Zork," but otherwise think you are wrong. I live in Denver, and I have seen pictures of the alley-way on the news, etc. They were parked, having a smoke, and here comes the cops, and the young lady freaks out, and tries to drive. Big mistake, of course... and she paid for it with her life.

Tragic.

And you would hope that cops, etc., highly trained as they are, wouldn't let this happen.

-John

I think we all agree that this was sad and tragic. But you have to put the blame where it belongs: on the person committing one felony, then running down a cop. If the cop had died from his injuries, would you feel the shooting was justified?

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
It wasn't "running down a cop." 16 year old girls, sitting and doing xyz, in an alley with her friends, aren't "running down a cop."

The cops forced the issue, and may have freaked out the sixteen year old girl (guy, gangbanger, etc.) and they need better training on how the fuck to get away from a car (or deadly weapon) without shooting people.

-John

mrjminer

Platinum Member
Dec 2, 2005

Tragic.

-John

I had to set it up somehow :thumbsup:

Still, though. I don't think there's any excuse for what they did. Sure they were parked -- in a stolen car. Doing drugs. Were they high before they stole the car? If so, they got it there by driving around stoned. Were they just going to abandon their stolen car after sitting there doing drugs in an alley? I guess we won't know the answer to that, either.

Best case scenario is they stole a car, started hotboxing, then attempted to evade arrest and in the process of doing so accidentally hit a cop. Worst case scenario is they got high, stole a care, started hotboxing, attempted to evade arrest by trying to kill a cop. None of those things are in any way remotely legal. I wouldn't even call it an accident that she hit the cop; not like she stopped.

The cops are highly trained. He did his job by identifying the vehicle as one reported stolen, then called for backup. Cops die every day from doing their job when shitbags go out of their way to try to kill them. Or just kill them trying to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

I think smoking a joint with your friends and being paranoid about nearby cops is a lot different than obviously being caught, then attempting to evade arrest in your stolen vehicle -- even if the cop hadn't been hit in the process.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

Still, though. I don't think there's any excuse for what they did. Sure they were parked -- in a stolen car. Doing drugs. Were they high before they stole the car? If so, they got it there by driving around stoned. Were they just going to abandon their stolen car after sitting there doing drugs in an alley? I guess we won't know the answer to that, either.

Best case scenario is they stole a car, started hotboxing, then attempted to evade arrest and in the process of doing so accidentally hit a cop. Worst case scenario is they got high, stole a care, started hotboxing, attempted to evade arrest by trying to kill a cop. None of those things are in any way remotely legal. I wouldn't even call it an accident that she hit the cop; not like she stopped.

The cops are highly trained. He did his job by identifying the vehicle as one reported stolen, then called for backup. Cops die every day from doing their job when shitbags go out of their way to try to kill them. Or just kill them trying to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

I think smoking a joint with your friends and being paranoid about nearby cops is a lot different than obviously being caught, then attempting to evade arrest in your stolen vehicle -- even if the cop hadn't been hit in the process.

Most of what you said doesn't matter. Stealing a car, doing drugs, etc aren't worthy of capital punishment.

The crux of this case is them trying to hit the cop. Some say she freaked out, others say she was trying to kill the cop. Hell if I know what to believe. :)

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
i had no idea that death was the penalty for stealing a car and hitting a cop...

who needs courtrooms?

cops are apparently judges, juries, and executioners.

due process is for the weak!

I am really hard on cops and their excessive use of force.

In this case, a car is a deadly weapon and she not only tried to use it on a cop but DID attack a cop with a deadly weapon. Anyone, regardless of a badge or not, would have the right to defend themselves with deadly force in that situation.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Actually it's close to a cop dies every 2 1/2 days..... Just giving you factual information.

That said, you try to run my ass over and I'm going to shoot at you too.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

You should move to a few of the more extreme Muslim countries, they have similar views on how the justice system should work as you do.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
I am really hard on cops and their excessive use of force.

In this case, a car is a deadly weapon and she not only tried to use it on a cop but DID attack a cop with a deadly weapon. Anyone, regardless of a badge or not, would have the right to defend themselves with deadly force in that situation.
Oh, Bullshit.

This is a 16 year old girl, and she may have done wrong things, but one thing I am pretty sure about, is that she didn't want to run over a cop.

You, mother-fucking cops, over-reacted, and killed a 16 year old girl.

-John

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
DPD has been costing us Denver tax payers a lot of money lately with their lawsuit payouts. Maybe instead of giving us the 30 million refund for the weed tax they better start a police brutality jar.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Didn't we just get a new police chief (I think this is in Aurora.)

Hello Police Chief, guess what, your cops just killed a 16-year old girl.

-John