Denon AVR-X4100 - New - $799

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
SO Amazon is selling this for what is basically 50% off

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X41...?ie=UTF8&qid=1441323388&sr=8-1&keywords=x4100

the x4100 is the 2014 model and is extremely feature packed for the price

most likely the price drop is due to the 2015 models coming out (x4200)
the 4100 is nearly the same and gives up very little

you can do the comparison at denons site here
http://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/avreceiversht/avrx4100w

looks like they are cutting the price on all 2014 models

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Seems like across the board price drop. Extremely nice features. Given the speakers I have though this thing is way overkill.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Its still a good deal but it does give up several features to the newer x4200* model some people may wish to have.

The main ones are:

HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and 4k/60fps upscale on all HDMI inputs, HDMI 2.0a (HDR support) and DTS:X / DTS Neural:X via update, AK4458VN 32 bit DAC; additional amp assign settings which allow expanding from 7CH --> 9CH using the SB, FW, F, or HT1 speaker pre-outs

Taken from Here.

If you plan to do 4k Blu-rays in the near future the lack of any HDCP 2.2 support on the x4100 is probably the biggest knock.

*Edited for clarification.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dang 8 HDMI inputs + Dolby Atmos!

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
Nice! This line of Denons has an awesome feature that lets you simultaneously use one video input and a different audio input. In other words, video games plus different music at the same time. Winning. Obviously, if you have an HTPC hooked up to this thing then you likely don't need that feature, but it's still awesome for console games + music from another source, or TV + music from another source, etc. You could also use it to play a video source (likely a game where you don't need sound) in the room you're in, and send audio to another room from another source, all through a single AVR.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Yeah, there was a huge feature bump between the X_100 and the X_200 series. The lack of HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 makes this X4100 a dead-end device. In that price range I'd spend a little more and get the Marantz SR5010 (which *does* have all of this year's features).

Snaggletooth

Dec 3, 2004
Yeah, there was a huge feature bump between the X_100 and the X_200 series. The lack of HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 makes this X4100 a dead-end device. In that price range I'd spend a little more and get the Marantz SR5010 (which *does* have all of this year's features).

I've been wanting a new receiver, and I went with a refurbished SR5010. Thank you for the recommendation.

Samus

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
I have a 14 year old Denon receiver that cost $3000 new. Only issue I ever had was after moving, the center channel stopped working. Turned out to be a ribbon cable clip on the right vertical routing board was half-dislodged. It took reading through the 180 page technical manual to figure it out but at least it has such a manual.

Denon make incredible receivers at the high end. I don't know if anything under $1000 is made in Japan anymore, but the all-around quality is good. Even my brothers cheap $400 Denon from Fry's is pretty decent, although it does feel very Onkyo-esk weight and quality-wise. While most of these receivers audio reproduction variations are no distinguishable to the everyday listener, the real measurement of quality is efficiency (how hot they run, especially the hybrid A/B-class receivers with a class D secondary transducer) general weight (gold weighs more than tin, and gold is better at everything than tin) and of course connector quality, placement, and diversity. I also like to have an RS232 port, which is becoming incredibly rare , but not impossible to find on high-end units. If you question why RS232, lookup Iridium. I've used many RS232 controllers in the past, but this is the one I currently use to auto-configure my AV equipment based on what my HTPC currently needs.

For example, when I load a H264 MKV with DTS-HD into Media Player Classic, Iridium detects this based on preset profiles and sends the necessary commands via RS232, NOT INFRARED, to my receiver and TV, to configure them for the correct audio input (in this case, toslink on receiver input 3, configure for DTS/disable Dolby circuit, TV speakers off, beginning volume at -20db, etc.

This can't be done with HDMI-CEC. And it likely never will be. Most consumer electronics are not this customization and the CE industry as a whole doesn't really cater to customization of this level outside of legacy serial interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.