Dems sneak in extension of Patriot Act into Jobs Bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
george-bush-miss-me-yet.jpg

;)

FYI - AdBlock Plus + block image works great for this pic.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The vote mentions of 62 Dems (no doubt progressives and 3 Repubs voting no shows yet again the progressives being the group who support the public interest, unsupported by the brainwashed.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
The vote mentions of 62 Dems (no doubt progressives and 3 Repubs voting no shows yet again the progressives being the group who support the public interest, unsupported by the brainwashed.

Unfortunately there were more than 63 progressive dems at that time. Russ Feingold was not the only dem in the Senate who people generally view as being on the progressive wing of the party, but he was the only Senate dem who voted against it. I think the hysteria of 9/11 made it very difficult politically for anyone to vote against it.

- wolf

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Unfortunately there were more than 63 progressive dems at that time. Russ Feingold was not the only dem in the Senate who people generally view as being on the progressive wing of the party, but he was the only Senate dem who voted against it. I think the hysteria of 9/11 made it very difficult politically for anyone to vote against it.

- wolf

Oh, I agree. Today, there are just over 80 members of the House Progressive Caucus, and many fewer then, so it seems likely they had a pretty good record - but the Senate didn't hold up as well.

You're right - I'd meant to add the American people are largely respondible for this too for the high levels of supprt for it, incenting politicians to vote for it.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Oh, I agree. Today, there are just over 80 members of the House Progressive Caucus, and many fewer then, so it seems likely they had a pretty good record - but the Senate didn't hold up as well.

You're right - I'd meant to add the American people are largely respondible for this too for the high levels of supprt for it, incenting politicians to vote for it.

Yes, you're right that the American people are largely responsible. It's a bit odd that there isn't more opposition to it in Congress these days though. It doesn't poll as well these days as it did after 9/11. It was only at about 60/40 support by 2006 when it came up for renewal. A 2008 poll I saw had 90% agreeing that some things in it like secret wiretapping needed to be stripped out.

- wolf

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yes, you're right that the American people are largely responsible. It's a bit odd that there isn't more opposition to it in Congress these days though. It doesn't poll as well these days as it did after 9/11. It was only at about 60/40 support by 2006 when it came up for renewal. A 2008 poll I saw had 90% agreeing that some things in it like secret wiretapping needed to be stripped out.

- wolf

If Dems can't strip some things out of the patriot act, they're really making themselves look bad. Are they that afraid of the 'Dems are weak on defense' campaign lies?

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
If Dems can't strip some things out of the patriot act, they're really making themselves look bad. Are they that afraid of the 'Dems are weak on defense' campaign lies?

Unfortunately, I think the answer is yes, they are afraid of this line of rhetoric. Look at the whole Christmas bomber thing. The administration follows the same exact procedure that the Bush admin followed, mirandizing him and handing him over to the FBI. Now you have republicans suddenly disapproving of this procedure, without acknowledging that it has never been done differently, and failing to disclose the fact that they were informed of the procedure by John Brennan on the day it happened, and raised no objection to it at the time. And a certain percentage of voters are eating this shit up. It's mind boggling how easily duped people are.

- wolf

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
A Democrat controlled house, senate and executive, and still the hacks are trying to blame everything on Republicans. You people are the absolute scum of politics.

That's because it was never about civil liberties, it was all about party. Notice also the anti-war movement has all but vanished.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

Yup, and it's nothing new either. How many Dem's voted for the war in Iraq? The Patriot Act? Enough. We're still in Iraq, escalating the war in Afghanistan, and Pakistan, and bombing Yemen. All the while, Obama polishes up his Nobel Peace Prize.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yup, and it's nothing new either. How many Dem's voted for the war in Iraq? The Patriot Act? Enough. We're still in Iraq, escalating the war in Afghanistan, and Pakistan, and bombing Yemen. All the while, Obama polishes up his Nobel Peace Prize.

None

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Seems to me they petered out many years ago.

I wouldn't say "many," maybe a couple of years. Maybe when Hillary (who voted for the war in Iraq) and Obama (who campaigned on escalating Afghanistan) started their run for the presidency.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I wouldn't say "many," maybe a couple of years. Maybe when Hillary (who voted for the war in Iraq) and Obama (who campaigned on escalating Afghanistan) started their run for the presidency.

According to Wikipedia, the last large(Multi-City) Protest was way back in 2006(unless I missed one while skimming). There's been the occasional protest here and there since, last one being less than a year ago.

Iraq War Protests