DEMS now oppose renewed AWB???

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
http://thehill.com/leading-the...evival-2009-02-26.html

Reid joins Pelosi in opposing ban revival By J. Taylor Rushing Posted: 02/26/09 10:17 PM [ET] Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will join House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in opposing any effort to revive the 1994 assault-weapons ban, putting them on the opposite side of the Obama administration.

Reid spokesman Jim Manley said the Nevada Democrat will preserve his traditional pro-gun rights voting record.

"Sen. Reid would oppose an effort [to] reinstate the ban if the Senate were to vote on it in the future," Manley told The Hill in an e-mail late Thursday night.

It was not immediately clear whether Reid would block the bill from the Senate, but his opposition casts serious doubt on its chances. Also, Manley noted that Reid voted against the ban in 1994 and again when it expired in 2004.

Reid's stance joins him with Pelosi, who told reporters Thursday that the administration had not checked with her before Attorney General Eric Holder told reporters the administration would attempt to reinstate the ban. Pelosi gave a flat ?no? when asked if she had spoken to Holder or any other administration officials about the issue.

?On that score, I think we need to enforce the laws we have right now,? Pelosi said at her weekly news conference. ?I think it's clear the Bush administration didn?t do that.?

Outside of the dig at the recent Republican president, that phrase is the stock line of those who don?t want to pass new gun control laws, such as the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Holder said during a press conference Wednesday in Phoenix that Obama had made reinstating the ban one of his campaign promises.

"There are obviously a number of things that are ? that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so I?m not sure exactly what the sequencing will be," Holder said. "It is something, however, that we still think would be an appropriate thing to do."

The news caught Capitol Hill by surprise, immediately pitting Democrats and Republicans against each other and even exposing deep divides among Democrats. A number of House Democrats lost their seats after being targeted by the NRA for voting for the 1994 ban.

Mike Soraghan contributed to this article.

why do i have a problem believing them?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I will applaud this change if it holds true. I'd guess NRA members flooded these two with calls.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I hope this is true. Even if they don't, at least temporarily they aren't dealing with this issue. I'd rather they not get bogged down in gun control issues (which I oppose) and instead focus on bigger problems (healthcare, etc.). It is time Dems shed gun control once and for all.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Yeah don't believe them....pffttt. What is it you hacks want? You cry foul whether or not what you think they're going to do has any basis in reality.

So when's the next crises of the 2nd amendment? It seems we're always on the precipice of outlawing guns completely, so be followed by teh gays coming down from the hills and raping Jesus.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: ayabe
Yeah don't believe them....pffttt. What is it you hacks want? You cry foul whether or not what you think they're going to do has any basis in reality.

So when's the next crises of the 2nd amendment? It seems we're always on the precipice of outlawing guns completely, so be followed by teh gays coming down from the hills and raping Jesus.

"It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth becomes the greatest enemy of the State." -Joseph Goebbels

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Cry a little more your wishes to take something away from somebody else will have to wait for another day.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Politically it's a losing issue for Democrats in Congress and most of them want to stay away from it. Trying to pass a bunch of anti-gun legislation in light of the SC's decision has the potential to yield little reward.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
The sale of Assault Weapons and ammo is the only thing keeping this economy afloat. I haven't been able to find any ammo at the local guns shows because of speculation on this bill. I wish they would just get it over with and try and fail to pass this thing.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

Cry a little more your wishes to take something away from somebody else will have to wait for another day.

I'm not the one crying like a bitch everytime someone mentions the name Pelosi, or fighting battles against imaginary legislation.

You got what you wanted, so stop crying. Besides in one month from now I hear Obama might ban RPG's, better start getting your hackles up.

It's too bad the 10,000 people dead from guns in the last year don't have a well funded and vocal interest group looking out for them.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: bob4432
The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
Thomas Jefferson

A pro-gun site exposes your Jefferson quote as false here. Question is, will you remove it?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: PingSpike
This always seemed like a pretty big loser issue for the dems.

This, and capital punishment, among others. It's tough being morally ahead of public opinion with a foe who will shamelessly exploit the advantage for political gain.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Craig234
The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
Thomas Jefferson

A pro-gun site exposes your Jefferson quote as false here. Question is, will you remove it?

interesting, i will have to look into it. i had looked in a few books and online and found it to be correct....thanks for the heads up

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001

Trolling for fun again?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
As everyone likes to point out most guns used in crimes were either stolen or purchased through the black market somehow.

Most recent data I can find estimates that 30% or so of gun purchases are through the black market, or unlicensed dealers.

This is the real problem.

What is the solution oh wise ones? Is there no sensible alternative to outright bans, which hurt legitimate, law-abiding owners?

Should we just continue to do nothing? Can we not agree that far too many people in this country are killed by firearms?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

It's too bad the 10,000 people dead from guns in the last year don't have a well funded and vocal interest group looking out for them.

It's the price of democracy when the majority are misguided (whether or not they are in this case).

What's needed more is for the grass-roots public opinion to be influenced to pave the way for change, rather than for the Democrats to throw themselves out of office over this.

Sadly, my same argument was one that affected things like Democrats' aggressiveness on civil rights in the past; it was a balancing act with the courage to proceed, and they did.

FDR once told those who wanted him to do more, he wanted them to force him to do it - by going out and creating the public pressure to demand he do more. That's how it works.

It's not entirely coincidental that the then-largest ever march on Washington, D.C. was held to demand civil rights progress not that long before the efforts increased.

Ultimately, if for the sake of argument we assum those 10,000 are all the victims of idiocy by the dominant gun nut culture that foolishly demands gun rights even as it kills members of their family, the bottom line in our democracy is to weigh the right of the people to get what they foolishly want versus the leadership challenge to the government to lead them to a different position. If we tilt too much towards the government 'just doing what's right and ignoring public opinion', that's a risky precedent, even if it has its use at times.

One type of of politician balances progress and leadership with respect for public opinion; another panders and exploits the public prejudices, leaving themselves in power but the nation failing to evolve; a third is a tyrant.who regularly ignores public opinion and does what they want, usually for their own interest.

Sadly, of the three, the best - the balancer - is the most politically vulnerable.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Craig234
Thomas Jefferson

interesting, i will have to look into it. i had looked in a few books and online and found it to be correct....thanks for the heads up

My pleasure, thanks for the concern in its accuracy.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Should we just continue to do nothing? Can we not agree that far too many people in this country are killed by firearms?

Legalize/regulate drugs and prostitution. Dump funding from anti-drug agencies into workable rehab and realistic education programs.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87

I'm not the one crying like a bitch everytime someone mentions the name Pelosi, or fighting battles against imaginary legislation.

You got what you wanted, so stop crying. Besides in one month from now I hear Obama might ban RPG's, better start getting your hackles up.

You need more tissues after that post. I am sure your heroes will find something else to work on that will oppress your fellow citizen and turn that frown of yours upside down.

Over 30,000 people died in cars last year. I see a hot button issue for you to work on. Getting Pelosi to ban cars.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: AAjax

Trolling for fun again?

One day you all will realize that you're being played for fools by interest groups who really don't give two shits about you. Gee, wonder how much NRA contributions spiked in the last couple of days?