Democrats to let offshore drilling ban expire (next week)

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Link

This is good, good news for America and probably good news for Democrats as it would take the energy issue away from Republicans in a large way.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Link

This is good, good news for America and probably good news for Democrats as it would take the energy issue away from Republicans in a large way.

But what about the environment? They are enabling the republicans to ruin the environment with oil drilling, just to get some energy votes?

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Link

But what about the environment? They are enabling the republicans to ruin the environment with oil drilling, just to get some energy votes?

The enviornmental threat has been highly overblown. The enviornmental wacko's have made their point and fullfilled any kind of useful function they possibly could have.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Didn't I predict this months ago? Rest assured, it will do NOTHING about oil prices.

But what will winnar111 post about now? :p

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Didn't I predict this months ago? Rest assured, it will do NOTHING about oil prices.

Just don't be too fast to say "i told you so", nobody expects prices to drop under $50 a barrel within the next 2 years, but it will have an impact. Instead of $500 a barrel oil, maybe it will only be $450 a barrel.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
What happens when the ban expires, we "drill here, drill now", and nothing happens to oil prices because...surprise surprise...off-shore drilling will only add oil to our domestic output in 10 years and will only drop market prices by less than a tenth of a percent?

One more McCain argument flushed down the drain.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
What happens when the ban expires, we "drill here, drill now", and nothing happens to oil prices because...surprise surprise...off-shore drilling will only add oil to our domestic output in 10 years and will only drop market prices by less than a tenth of a percent?

We will get more damn good paying jobs when we really need them. The Fed will collect more tax dollars (debatable if they need more money or not but if someone has to pay then why not the oil companies?). If they pass revenue sharing with the states that allow drilling, which they should, the individual states will also gain a decent amount of revenue.

Who, exactly, loses?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Just don't be too fast to say "i told you so", nobody expects prices to drop under $50 a barrel within the next 2 years, but it will have an impact. Instead of $500 a barrel oil, maybe it will only be $450 a barrel.

I expect oil prices to continue dropping into the near future, with recent increases just a blip (especially yesterday's stupidity). I won't call under $50/bbl, but we'll probably be solidly in the $70-80 range by winter, and with gas dipping below $3/gal.

As we already saw this summer, anything above $150/bbl. for oil would be disastrous for the US economy. And what's bad for the US economy is bad for the global economy.

Forget about drilling at $450/bbl., the whole world be at total war if that happened.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I thought the pelosi sneak engergy bill prevented it?

-edit-
I find this comment particularly disturbing...

""The future resolution of offshore drilling will have to be addressed with a new president," Drew Hamill, spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement."

Given her background and previous statement you can read between the lines "Well run around and ban it again if obama is elected and my master scheme will be set."

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Darwin333

We will get more damn good paying jobs when we really need them. The Fed will collect more tax dollars (debatable if they need more money or not but if someone has to pay then why not the oil companies?). If they pass revenue sharing with the states that allow drilling, which they should, the individual states will also gain a decent amount of revenue.

Who, exactly, loses?
You've taken the centerpiece of McCain's "energy independence" plan and shown us the nickel and dime benefits it has, none of which actually make a notable impact in lowering our national dependence on oil.

Bravo.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

Did that bill make it out of the Senate? Or get signed by the President?

I know that talk radio likes to tell you that the Dems are running this country right now, so here's your proof that they're not.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I know that talk radio likes to tell you that the Dems are running this country right now, so here's your proof that they're not.

See edit.

She'll just force another one through. The veto threat stopped her plans, a D in the white house won't. She can't just have an entire platform and then suddenly give concession when it is politically convient - we WILL hold her accountable.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004

-edit-
I find this comment particularly disturbing...

""The future resolution of offshore drilling will have to be addressed with a new president," Drew Hamill, spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said in a statement."

Given her background and previous statement you can read between the lines "Well run around and ban it again if obama is elected and my master scheme will be set."

Exactly we still need either enough republicans so they can filibuster any anti-drilling bill or McCain to veto them. This is only the first step to getting the price of gas down.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

See edit.

She'll just force another one through. The veto threat stopped her plans, a D in the white house won't. She can't just have an entire platform and then suddenly give concession when it is politically convient - we WILL hold her accountable.

Just makin' it all up as you go along, eh? Any spin as long as its loyal party spin, right?

While I do hope that the Dems pick another Speaker in the House next session, your worries about this issue are as unfounded as your hopes.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Darwin333

Who, exactly, loses?

Why can't you guys get it through your heads that this issue has nothing to do with drilling for oil and everything to do with land leases and stock prices? The only jobs made, and the only revenue 'shared' from this, will be on Wall Street.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

The endless lawsuits from the environuts to block companies from drilling?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: winnar111

I'm sure you'll spin that into something like, all those lawsuits are funded by some ultra-secret Pelosi-Pickens-Obama cabal.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Just makin' it all up as you go along, eh? Any spin as long as its loyal party spin, right?

While I do hope that the Dems pick another Speaker in the House next session, your worries about this issue are as unfounded as your hopes.

My only hope is we can get more home oil and reduce foreign dependence. If pelosi can/will allow that then I'll support it. Her track record shows otherwise. We'll just have to see.

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

I'm sure you'll spin that into something like, all those lawsuits are funded by some ultra-secret Pelosi-Pickens-Obama cabal.

Many of them, such as the Sierra club, certainly endorsed Obama's candidacy. These cults and the Democrats are also funded by similar groups.

rezinn

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2004

IF you're saying it will do nothing to directly change oil prices, you're probably right. But it will have an effect on speculation, which is a more important determinant anyway.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Many of them, such as the Sierra club, certainly endorsed Obama's candidacy. These cults and the Democrats are also funded by similar groups.

Yeah, and the KKK endorses McCain. Should I use your logic and claim that means that McCain supports the white supremacy agenda?

:roll:

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah, and the KKK endorses McCain. Should I use your logic and claim that means that McCain supports the white supremacy agenda?

:roll:

It's a good thing the KKK won't have any influence in a McCain administration then, unlike the environuts who have had their way with the Democrats ever since Clinton foolishly vetoed ANWR drilling.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
McCain will have to pin Obama down when it comes to drilling in their debate.

Make him flat out say that he will or will not renew the ban if elected.

Now we all know that campaign promises are meaningless. (think:"no new taxes" & "middle class tax cuts") We do know from history that people who out right break a promise have paid a political price. For Bush 41 it was the White House and for Clinton it was the congress.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

My only hope is we can get more home oil and reduce foreign dependence. If pelosi can/will allow that then I'll support it. Her track record shows otherwise. We'll just have to see.

So long as foreign dependence exists and the price of oil is set in global markets, this does very little that you or any other average American will see in your pocketbooks.

I'm not opposed to drilling, but this 'drill here, drill now' bit is just an agenda for the McCain campaign with no basis in reality. We should drill, of course, for jobs and for money, but anyone expecting a dramatic reduction in foreign dependence or the price of oil due to this is misguided, to say the least.
Even if we do strike huge deposits, we'll just increase consumption accordingly, making us just as dependent as ever. This is why I've always kinda of liked the idea of waiting until the Saudis and the rest of the ME are nearly out of oil, then we tap our reserves. It's only the best they deserve. :p

Originally posted by: rezinn
IF you're saying it will do nothing to directly change oil prices, you're probably right. But it will have an effect on speculation, which is a more important determinant anyway.

Except for occasional hiccups, the oil speculation bubble is pretty much already over for now.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
McCain will have to pin Obama down when it comes to drilling in their debate.

Make him flat out say that he will or will not renew the ban if elected.

Now we all know that campaign promises are meaningless. (think:"no new taxes" & "middle class tax cuts") We do know from history that people who out right break a promise have paid a political price. For Bush 41 it was the White House and for Clinton it was the congress.

McCain can't do that because then he would have to admit that he has flip-flopped on the issue himself. He was against lifting the drilling ban until the oil companies gave his campaign ~$1.3 million in June, and he's still against drilling in ANWR.