Democrats start group to try to 'recall' Bush

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
While it can't actually happen, it's pretty amusing nonetheless...

CNN.com link

Democrats start group to try to 'recall' Bush

President can't be recalled through ballot initiative

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The latest Democratic drive to make sure President Bush serves just one term takes a page from the effort to oust a Democratic governor in California, calling its web site "bushrecall" and garnering support through petitions.

A new committee called the Fair and Balanced PAC plans to launch its www.bushrecall.org Web site Thursday. The PAC's founders include Joe Lockhart, a press secretary to former President Clinton, and Mike Lux, a Democratic political consultant.

The Constitution provides no way to recall a president through a ballot initiative, as California voters have a chance to do to Democrat Gray Davis in October.

Instead, the PAC will work to defeat Bush in next year's election, building lists of supporters through a petition drive and raising money to run ads against the Republican, he said.

"What we hope to do is to remind people that all of the things that are being said about Gray Davis as the reasons for the recall can be applied to George Bush," Lux said Wednesday. "For example, they say Davis turned big surpluses into deficits in a matter of a couple of years. That's the same thing that happened with George Bush."

The Bush campaign declined to comment.

The PAC currently plans to raise only limited contributions -- known as hard money -- from individuals and other political committees. It can spend its money on ads expressly calling for a candidate's election or defeat, and must disclose its fund-raising and expenditures to the Federal Election Commission.

The PAC is one of several Democratic-leaning groups formed since a campaign finance law took effect in November and imposed new restrictions on political party fund-raising and spending.

The new groups are helping Democrats compensate for the party's loss of soft money, corporate and union contributions the new law bans the national parties from collecting. The GOP raised soft money too, but so far hasn't been hit as hard financially by the law because it takes in more hard money -- individual and PAC donations -- than the Democratic Party.

Many of the new Democratic-leaning groups are focused on the presidential race and are taking on specific types of spending, such as raising money for get-out-the-vote activities or ads on Democratic issues.

Lux said his PAC plans to coordinate its activities with other groups including America Votes, a new coalition of environmental, labor, civil rights, abortion rights and other organizations working together on voter outreach efforts.

The Fair and Balanced PAC's board members include Gloria Totten, executive director of another Democratic-leaning group, the Progressive Majority, and former political director of the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkeyWhile it can't actually happen, it's pretty amusing nonetheless...

Yep amusing because it can't actually happen.

what's that rumble I hear in the distance?....Hmmm...must be a landslide :D

CkG

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Democrats are the whinners of the world. First they cry because they didn't win the presidency, then they cry because a democratic governor was recalled, now they are crying about this. I can't imagine why anyone would vote for a democrat. It's like voting a 15 year old to office; all they do is complain about how unfair the world is and how everyone is against them.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Democrats are the whinners of the world. First they cry because they didn't win the presidency, then they cry because a democratic governor was recalled, now they are crying about this. I can't imagine why anyone would vote for a democrat. It's like voting a 15 year old to office; all they do is complain about how unfair the world is and how everyone is against them.

Becareful, I do believe we on the right were resorting to some similar tactics back during an "unmentionable timeframe" not in the too distant past.;) You aren't off target with your description but we on the right aren't guilt free - which I expect a few of the wolves to come and point out shortly:D

CkG

May 16, 2000

Well if it's a choice between a whiner and an ignorant elitist zealot...easy decision.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: DealMonkeyWhile it can't actually happen, it's pretty amusing nonetheless...

CkG

I don't think Kerry will win in a landslide. He'll win but by about two points and 30 electors. Poor Bush, he talks to the trees, ya know, but they don't listen to him.. Well, NoName City is a good place for Bush... and his rummy dumb band of Illuminati.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands

Well if it's a choice between a whiner and an ignorant elitist zealot...easy decision.

Interesting also how losing an election and then trying to recall a governor is ok, but if democrats do it they are "whinners". What's a whinner anyway? Someone who makes a whinny sound like a horse?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: LunarRay

CkG

I don't think Kerry will win in a landslide. He'll win but by about two points and 30 electors. Poor Bush, he talks to the trees, ya know, but they don't listen to him.. Well, NoName City is a good place for Bush... and his rummy dumb band of Illuminati.

No, you got it wrong: Bush talks to the COWS but they don't listen to him. Everything else is correct. :D

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

CkG

Right, I said that. Is there an echo in here?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

CkG

Are you upset that I agree with you? :D

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

CkG

Are you upset that I agree with you? :D

CkG

Dammit! :Stomps around room: Grrrrrr! ;)

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: LunarRay

CkG

I need to hold onto this quote for my 2004 signature :)

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
No Rumsfeld want's to be God, and nobody want's to tell Dubya he's not.
Not even Moses.
Remember what happened to Moses the last time he talked to a Bush ?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
No Rumsfeld want's to be God, and nobody want's to tell Dubya he's not.
Not even Moses.
Remember what happened to Moses the last time he talked to a Bush ?

Did he get distracted and drop 5 of the 15 commandments? D'oh! Now, we'll never know...

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: flavio
Xzero should quit all the complaining.

*gasp* ouch... you deftly demolished what I said! Where did you learn to argue so persuasively?

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

*gasp* ouch... you deftly demolished what I said! Where did you learn to argue so persuasively?

Just concentrate on getting to high school first....baby steps you know.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001

Just concentrate on getting to high school first....baby steps you know.

When you finish HS, let me know and we'll talk.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
www.BushRecall.org

From the site:

Republicans in California have initiated a recall against the governor, giving three reasons for their effort:

1. The state's budget has gone from a sizeable surplus to a substantial deficit in a few short years.

2. Gov. Davis did not tell the truth to voters about the state's budget and economic situation.

3. The state's economy remains in dismal shape, and the chief executive of the state is ultimately responsible for it's welfare.

If we apply these standards to a governor, then they must also be applicable to a president. The next recall effort is long overdue: a Bush recall campaign.

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
I thought a large part of the people who want a recall in California were democrats themselves (40%)?