Democrats and the liberal media... forced to admit there IS a crisis on the border?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What I've heard is probably the same as you. That Iran has been supporting terrorist groups and that several ships have been damaged due to their actions recently. I don't know what intel Trump has. I'm ok with saber rattling if they feel a show of force is the right move, that happens between countries with a lot of regularity. I don't want a war that isn't necessary that we can't afford that achieves nothing and was started over nothing. If there is a reason to have arm conflict with Iran, I think it needs to be pretty convincing and based on solid information. I haven't seen that case made yet, and we're not actively in armed conflict with Iran, so...

The attribution of the damage to the ships to Iran is pure innuendo. It is, in all likelihood, an incident contrived to suit that purpose. It's nonsensical to believe that they were the perps. They'd gain nothing in doing so. They actively aided Iraq in the fight against ISIS. Whatever comes out of the Admin's mouths is rapidly contradicted by commanders on the ground in Syria & Iraq. It's all bullshit, every bit of it, including the threat from missiles on wooden dhows in the gulf. There is no heightened threat from Iran.

They've lived up to the conditions set by the JCPOA with the only real contention being development of missile technology. It's ridiculous to think that they're doing it in order to deliver nuclear weapons they don't have.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The attribution of the damage to the ships to Iran is pure innuendo. It is, in all likelihood, an incident contrived to suit that purpose. It's nonsensical to believe that they were the perps. They'd gain nothing in doing so. They actively aided Iraq in the fight against ISIS. Whatever comes out of the Admin's mouths is rapidly contradicted by commanders on the ground in Syria & Iraq. It's all bullshit, every bit of it, including the threat from missiles on wooden dhows in the gulf. There is no heightened threat from Iran.

They've lived up to the conditions set by the JCPOA with the only real contention being development of missile technology. It's ridiculous to think that they're doing it in order to deliver nuclear weapons they don't have.

I'm glad you know Iran didn't do anything. Thanks, that's comforting.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Iran's vile provocations can no longer be tolerated.

They will be made to submit to our will.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm glad you know Iran didn't do anything. Thanks, that's comforting.

You said it yourself- Trump, Bolton & Pompeo haven't given any convincing reasons for us to welch on the deal & sanction the shit out of Iran. What we're experiencing now is a propaganda campaign paving the way for outright aggression.

None of it is right at all.

Reactions: Meghan54

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'll admit there is a problem at the border when you admit there is a problem with the criminal in the WH.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I think they just want to finally complete "Fuckistan" by combining Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan.

While your comment is sorta true and definitely funny, what I'm afraid of is a bit more tangible....the fundie religious sects are firmly in the camp that war with Iran is part of the fulfillment of end time prophecy. They NEED and WANT war with Iran to bring about the second coming of Christ. And they'll go to any lengths to achieve this.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I could see this as a crisis, but a black guy was after ten churchgoers in and not seen as a hate crime. That's the real crisis and the border is merely a diversion from the real one in Nashville.

Mar 11, 2004
While your comment is sorta true and definitely funny, what I'm afraid of is a bit more tangible....the fundie religious sects are firmly in the camp that war with Iran is part of the fulfillment of end time prophecy. They NEED and WANT war with Iran to bring about the second coming of Christ. And they'll go to any lengths to achieve this.

I don't think that's the case. I've never really heard that from those and from what I've gathered Iraq and Syria are much more in play with regards to that shit (if I recall, the bible specifically calls out some locations - well based on the understanding of geography of the time so its kinda general area compared to what we'd have these days - and that's more in the Syria, Iraq, maybe Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Israel, area).

Now, absolutely I think Iran serves as a bit of a Crusades analog, but I think the actual push for this (from people like Bolton) is mostly its just certain people stuck in 50 years old mentality, mixed with actual knowledge that Iran was the source of a lot of the issues we have had in the Middle East. Its not like there's nothing legitimate to us being enemies with Iran (that goes both ways I think, as there's legitimate reasons for them to hate us, same with Iraqis).

Honestly, I think its because Iran is not that strategic of a spot (either for resources or holy land) is the main reason we haven't done anything more. Much like how we treat Cuba, North Korea, and were treating Syria, Libya (til Syria became a sitaution we couldn't really ignore any longer, and Libya provided a ripe opportunity; same with North Korea we'd rather just ignore them and sit back and wait til the situation handles itself or we're given an opportunity to change things as we saw fit). Iraq had a lot of strategic advantage that Iran does not. Syria too (although that's probably because Israel provides us the Mediterranean access).

My comment was more that Iran would just simplify things for the raging lunatics (who see the entire Middle East from Egypt to Pakistan - as Fuckistan and think the only good way to deal with it is to have our military bomb them and wipeout everyone), as there's too many of those people enabling the other shitheads (the ones doing it to complete their religious prophecy or the ones just wanting to make up for past situations or whatever other stupid reasons we keep getting for going to war in different places).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Well after we get the criminals in the WH administration out let's revisit it. The border is nothing in comparison. So how is Criminal Comrade Mnuchin working for you? Swimmingly I suppose.

Want things to improve? Dump Trump, the would-be tyrant of the US but I think you'd have an open border before holding him accountable.

Trump is the reason illegals are crossing over? It seems beyond lazy to not address the topic and simply resort to muh Trump.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Trump is the reason illegals are crossing over? It seems beyond lazy to not address the topic and simply resort to muh Trump.

It's hard working with the President in Charge of shredding the Constitution. Trump lies about immigration, is faithless, seditious as well. So yeah, once Il Duce is out then we can worry about lesser problems like immigration.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Only Trump and his enablers would think a wall can solve a refugee crisis.

But hey, thats how racists think.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Rule #1 --You obviously knew it was question, deal with it!

Rule #2 -- No a wall is not the answer! The answer is much more complex than just building a wall! One of the issues is we have cut off aid to many South American countries and there by making it even harder for the people to stay and try to eek out a living in their own country!

Rule #3 -- An effective leader does not lie to the people who elected him! An effective leader does not tear families apart nor does an effective leader embrace just the white people! The president of the United States represents all peoples -- black,white, european and even Indians and the Arab citizens of the US!! A leader should be a uniter and not a divider as TRUMP is Divider in Chief!! Only as a whole are we a great country.....when we embrace the diversity of all people united as one!!

Rule #3 -- Not True! He does take a paycheck and no he does not donate his paycheck!
https://thinkprogress.org/trump-salary-donation-promise-cdb0b78a7aab/ and many other sites.....

During the presidential campaign, then-candidate Trump said he would turn down any salary as President. Then, in his first big interview as President-elect in November, he again insisted, “No, I’m not gonna take the salary. I’m not taking it.” Instead of accepting the $400,000 presidents get paid each year, Trump would take just $1 a year.
Well, it’s been almost two months and President Trump has received at least one paycheck — and he kept it.
Part of his struggle to keep his promise is that the Constitution gets in his way. It requires the president to receive compensation and prohibits the amount from being changed (in either direction) during the course of a presidential term.
In light of this, the White House tweaked the promise in February, with spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders explaining to Politifact, “He is required to get a paycheck but will be giving it back to (the) treasury or donating.”

But there has been no evidence to support this claim, and this week the White House refused to provide NBC News with any documentation that he’s taken such actions.

On Monday, the question came up at Press Secretary Sean Spicer’s press briefing. “The president’s intention right now is to donate his salary at the end of the year,” Spicer said. He then avoided any follow-ups by telling the White House Press Corps that they would get to help decide who Trump would donate the money to at the end of the year.

The press joked in response that the chosen charity should be the White House Correspondents’ Association — though of course that would be a massive conflict of interest.

The point remains that Trump is both taking his salary and keeping it.

Trump also claimed during the transition that any profits he made from foreign dignitaries staying at his hotels would likewise be donated to the U.S. Treasury. But there has been no evidence that this is taking place nor is there any mechanism for holding him accountable for that promise. And because Trump refuses to release his tax returns, there’s no way to independently verify.

It’s quite possible that Trump will simply break both promises — if for no reason that he’s made the exact same promise before and broken it.

Back in 2004, just before Trump first appeared on The Apprentice, he told Howard Stern that he would be donating his entire seven-figure salary from the show to charity. “Lots of charities: AIDS research, Police Athletic League, lots of different charities,” he said at the time. Three months later he admitted — again to Stern — that he was not donating the whole salary.

According to BuzzFeed’s reporting, Trump donated only $700,000 to his own foundation that year. And a Washington Post investigation last year found that Trump had only made one charitable donation — and it was only $10,000 — in the eight-year period of time between 2008 and last May, when he was pressured by the news media to follow through on a pledge to support a nonprofit for veterans’ families. This was in spite of at least $8.5 million in promised gifts during that time.

Trump thus has a reputation of pledging lots of money to charities, but actually giving very little. Whether his promises regarding his presidential salary and the foreign dignitary profits from his hotels will turn out any different remains to be seen.

It doesn't matter if he actually does something, he has already told his base it was going to happen and he knows that they never follow up on anything.

Nobody has the intel he has, because he just makes it all up as he goes, and when it conflicts with what actual intelligence agencies say, he claims he is right and they are wrong.

Trump is the God-Emporer and can do no wrong. He is all knowing and hung like a horse (ignore what Sunny Daniels says she's biased).

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Without a doubt we don't have the intel AVAILABLE to Trump, but remember that it has been widely reported that Trump doesn't bother to read intel (and damn near anything else as well) and has a well publicized track record of blowing off intel hearings-even before he was president.

This is really a poor man's version of the smoke and mirrors show Cheney and his cohorts did to get us into Bush War 2. Trump doesn't he ever try-just sends out his stupid bird chirps about unsourced vague rumors.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Not just a wall.

Concentration camps.

That you think racism fuels border security, on a border we have a real issue with none the less, and that you think we have "concentration camps" shows just how naive and how little perspective you have. But that's the left these days, everything is melodrama, everything is a caricature of reality that you believe to be real.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
That you think racism fuels border security, on a border we have a real issue with none the less, and that you think we have "concentration camps" shows just how naive and how little perspective you have. But that's the left these days, everything is melodrama, everything is a caricature of reality that you believe to be real.
I was going to respond that concentration camps are exactly what are being used by Strongman Trump, but then I remembered that:

1. You are either a troll attempting to push back against reality, and hence, irrelevant to any reasonable discussion
2. You are true believing right-wing authoritarian collaborator, making you irrelevant to any reasonable discussion.

So, keep on keepin' on, collaborator.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Racisim does fuel a certain portion of the bull shit Trump is doing on the border!
Only and idiot or a complete fool or a complete moron would say that's not true!
The fact remains we do have whole migrant families in "concentration" camps! Again to deny this is fact is just plain stupid!

So march on Comrade!!