Democrats and Republicans in Congress: We are Ready for War with Iran

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Duwelon
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: loki8481
what's so bad about sanctions when they worked in Iraq as evidenced by the complete lack of wmd's?

They didn't prevent a war. They, at least indirectly, killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children.

Sanctions are an act of war.

Yeah we should have awarded saddam with autographed baseball cards and packages of Godiva. Son of a B you are screwed up in the head.

Actually, you are. In the most psychopathic fashion. Just because you and Saddam shared that in common doesn't mean that so many innocent people had to die.

On second thought, you're probably not psychopathic. Just screwed up in the head. I notice that when he said 'Iraqi children,' you replaced that with 'Saddam.' You need to fix your symbolism. Saddam != the Iraqi people. We might have finally got that sick bastard, but millions died in the process. In other words, a tainted victory.
Is there something wrong with wanting to try a better way, or do you just enjoy all that 'collateral damage?'

I don't peddle in that crap. You'll never convince me that someone trying to stop a serial killer has any blame in the death of the serial killer's victims.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
what's so bad about sanctions when they worked in Iraq as evidenced by the complete lack of wmd's?

They didn't prevent a war. They, at least indirectly, killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children.

Yeah we should have awarded saddam with autographed baseball cards and packages of Godiva. Son of a B you are screwed up in the head.

Actually, you are. In the most psychopathic fashion. Just because you and Saddam shared that in common doesn't mean that so many innocent people had to die.

On second thought, you're probably not psychopathic. Just screwed up in the head. I notice that when he said 'Iraqi children,' you replaced that with 'Saddam.' You need to fix your symbolism. Saddam != the Iraqi people. We might have finally got that sick bastard, but millions died in the process. In other words, a tainted victory.
Is there something wrong with wanting to try a better way, or do you just enjoy all that 'collateral damage?'

I don't peddle in that crap. You'll never convince me that someone trying to stop a serial killer has any blame in the death of the serial killer's victims.

He does when he's directly helping in the killings.

Your mind seems to be stuck on 'simple' and 'absolute.' Let's try this again: Saddam != the Iraqi people. We were not going after Saddam to help the Iraqi people while we were killing Iraqi people.

Never mind, that's probably too much for you. Let's try this: Two wrongs don't make a right.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Your mind seems to be stuck on 'simple' and 'absolute.' Let's try this again: Saddam != the Iraqi people. We were not going after Saddam to help the Iraqi people while we were killing Iraqi people.

Never mind, that's probably too much for you. Let's try this: Two wrongs don't make a right.

Duwelon just to make it EVEN easier for you, you have just been Owned by vic lol

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
A war with Iran will be a war that will go way beyond Iran, trust me, this isn't what anyone who has any amount of sanity in his head would want.

It would have the same result as Russia going to war with Israel.

Russia and Iran are becoming serious butt buddies in terms of energy deals.

Here's how I see this going down given what I know so far if sanctions don't start working within the next year or less.

Israel is going to feel backed into a corner enough that they'll strike at Iran. It won't be a simple plan to take out Bushaer and Natanz though, it will be the destruction of multiple targets that will greatly hinder Iran's ability to bring it's nuclear plants online like it wanted. Possibly, they'll stop all of Iran's enrichment capabilities completely. At the exact same time, they will hit Iran's energy markets: Oil and Natural gas. If all goes well for Israel after the strike, Iran's economy will be all but completely shut down and their nuclear ambitions will be in crumbles. The people might revolt, but they won't be successful.

Russia will be pissed off, as will China and whoever else gets energy imports from Iran or has energy deals with Iran.

Hizbollah will strike, Hamas will go crazy, Iran will fire some missles, some will hit, some will be shot down.

The real question is how until Israel strikes. The longer they wait, the more entwined into Iran's economy Russia gets and the more they risk bringing moscow into a conflict with Israel if and when Israel does strike at Iran.

This will cause more of a shakeup in the world's economy and will lead to higher gas prices and we may all be driving moped's next summer.

That's not how I see it ... AT ALL...

Sabre-rattling by Israel and the United States and threats of retaliation by Iran have created havoc in the world financial markets. The already fragile economic conditions have worsened all over the globe. Fear and turmoil sent the American stock exchange to new lows not seen since the 1950's. The price of a barrel of oil moved past the $140 mark. The level of hardship and misery was felt in every continent and every country around the world. The horror of the outbreak of violence should not be downplayed. Just the threat of war could have a detrimental effect causing flight of capital away from the Gulf and dislocating its economies.

Now the stage is set. The chain of events in the past few days could lead to an all-out war that will cause immeasurable devastation in the Middle East and could spread worldwide. The Gulf region could be the biggest loser if war does break out between Iran and Israel. Such a confrontation could put an end to the incredible progress and growth that have characterised the Gulf economies.

The Iran of 2008 is not like the Iraq of 1981. Israel was able to destroy the Osirak nuclear reactor in Baghdad in 1981 without fear of retaliation. If Israel pulls the trigger against Iran's Bushehr nuclear reactor and other targets inside Iran, the latter has enough capabilities and willingness to use them that could usher an all out war. This will for sure bring the US into the conflict. Iran could attack American forces in Iraq, possibly with the help of the Shiite-led Iraqi forces, which the US has trained!

Syria, that has defence treaties with Iran, and Hezbollah, that is trained, armed and financed by Iran, will join in the all out war against Israel from the north and northeast. And all hell will break loose!

Jordan and Egypt may be forced into the melee by the sheer outrage on the streets in both countries. The repercussions are enormous to the whole world, even without speculating on what Russia and China will do. We may very well be on the threshold of World War Three, with catastrophic results and unlimited destruction. It behooves both sides to not downplay the terrible effects their war will bring.

Increased tensions

Instead of contributing to the increased tensions, the US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, should be cautioning Israel against attacking Iran. We should be seriously pursuing a diplomatic solution. War is not the answer. A negotiated settlement is the best way to defuse this crisis. The horror that will befall the Gulf and the Middle East and the whole world is immeasurable.

Iran, on the other hand, must stop the inflammatory rhetoric and the unnecessary threats against Israel. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad does not help the Palestinians' cause by denying the Holocaust.

The Arabs in general and the Palestinians in particular showed remorse for the Jews when the Nazis were liquidating them. Moreover, Palestine was a refuge for those Jews. (This fact was shared with Ahmadinejad by myself and three of my colleagues, all members of the Universal Peace Federation, when we met with the President last September 19, in New York).

Iran must also realise that it cannot close the Strait of Hormuz, through which over 40 per cent of the world's crude oil passes, without losing whatever support it may enjoy with the nations of the region.

Most importantly, Iran's navy is no match to the US 5th Fleet which, I am sure, would do whatever is necessary to keep the oil flowing out of the Gulf.

Operation Ernest Will, in 1987- 89 showed the overwhelming superiority of the the US Navy when it protected the reflagged Kuwaiti tankers crossing the Strait of Hormuz. Iran would be wise and prudent to cooperate with the international community. And the sooner, the better.

Neither Israel nor Iran can afford a war. Both should realise that things may go out of hand resulting in unforseen repercussions to both. America, also, must learn from the lessons of Iraq. Cool heads I hope will prevail on all sides and this dangerous scenario will come to a peaceful conclusion.

It behooves us all to remember the words of president Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in the Second World War. He said: "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity".

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

We supported him before we were against him.. knowing that he murdered several members of the previous govt

You are such a sucker

Dec 30, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan

We supported him before we were against him.. knowing that he murdered several members of the previous govt

You are such a sucker

So?

We needed him to fight our cold war for us. So we helped him do that. Then the middle east gets pissed because we stop funding their operations. They turn their "down with the infidels" from Russia, to us, because they are angry that we are not funding them anymore.

You make the decisions to keep the country secure now, and simply do your best to pick up the pieces later. Pressure from the middle easterners helped wear down Russia. Now we've got to deal with an empowered ME. Your point?

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
I just wrote emails to my Senators and Congressmen. Will you?

I just did. Asked them to support more sanctions against Iran and the use of airstrikes for non compliance with their nuclear program.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield
A war with Iran will be a war that will go way beyond Iran, trust me, this isn't what anyone who has any amount of sanity in his head would want.

It would have the same result as Russia going to war with Israel.

Russia and Iran are becoming serious butt buddies in terms of energy deals.

Here's how I see this going down given what I know so far if sanctions don't start working within the next year or less.

Israel is going to feel backed into a corner enough that they'll strike at Iran. It won't be a simple plan to take out Bushaer and Natanz though, it will be the destruction of multiple targets that will greatly hinder Iran's ability to bring it's nuclear plants online like it wanted. Possibly, they'll stop all of Iran's enrichment capabilities completely. At the exact same time, they will hit Iran's energy markets: Oil and Natural gas. If all goes well for Israel after the strike, Iran's economy will be all but completely shut down and their nuclear ambitions will be in crumbles. The people might revolt, but they won't be successful.

Russia will be pissed off, as will China and whoever else gets energy imports from Iran or has energy deals with Iran.

Hizbollah will strike, Hamas will go crazy, Iran will fire some missles, some will hit, some will be shot down.

The real question is how until Israel strikes. The longer they wait, the more entwined into Iran's economy Russia gets and the more they risk bringing moscow into a conflict with Israel if and when Israel does strike at Iran.

This will cause more of a shakeup in the world's economy and will lead to higher gas prices and we may all be driving moped's next summer.

That's not how I see it ... AT ALL...

Sabre-rattling by Israel and the United States and threats of retaliation by Iran have created havoc in the world financial markets. The already fragile economic conditions have worsened all over the globe. Fear and turmoil sent the American stock exchange to new lows not seen since the 1950's. The price of a barrel of oil moved past the $140 mark. The level of hardship and misery was felt in every continent and every country around the world. The horror of the outbreak of violence should not be downplayed. Just the threat of war could have a detrimental effect causing flight of capital away from the Gulf and dislocating its economies.

Now the stage is set. The chain of events in the past few days could lead to an all-out war that will cause immeasurable devastation in the Middle East and could spread worldwide. The Gulf region could be the biggest loser if war does break out between Iran and Israel. Such a confrontation could put an end to the incredible progress and growth that have characterised the Gulf economies.

The Iran of 2008 is not like the Iraq of 1981. Israel was able to destroy the Osirak nuclear reactor in Baghdad in 1981 without fear of retaliation. If Israel pulls the trigger against Iran's Bushehr nuclear reactor and other targets inside Iran, the latter has enough capabilities and willingness to use them that could usher an all out war. This will for sure bring the US into the conflict. Iran could attack American forces in Iraq, possibly with the help of the Shiite-led Iraqi forces, which the US has trained!

Syria, that has defence treaties with Iran, and Hezbollah, that is trained, armed and financed by Iran, will join in the all out war against Israel from the north and northeast. And all hell will break loose!

Jordan and Egypt may be forced into the melee by the sheer outrage on the streets in both countries. The repercussions are enormous to the whole world, even without speculating on what Russia and China will do. We may very well be on the threshold of World War Three, with catastrophic results and unlimited destruction. It behooves both sides to not downplay the terrible effects their war will bring.

Increased tensions

Instead of contributing to the increased tensions, the US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, should be cautioning Israel against attacking Iran. We should be seriously pursuing a diplomatic solution. War is not the answer. A negotiated settlement is the best way to defuse this crisis. The horror that will befall the Gulf and the Middle East and the whole world is immeasurable.

Iran, on the other hand, must stop the inflammatory rhetoric and the unnecessary threats against Israel. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad does not help the Palestinians' cause by denying the Holocaust.

The Arabs in general and the Palestinians in particular showed remorse for the Jews when the Nazis were liquidating them. Moreover, Palestine was a refuge for those Jews. (This fact was shared with Ahmadinejad by myself and three of my colleagues, all members of the Universal Peace Federation, when we met with the President last September 19, in New York).

Iran must also realise that it cannot close the Strait of Hormuz, through which over 40 per cent of the world's crude oil passes, without losing whatever support it may enjoy with the nations of the region.

Most importantly, Iran's navy is no match to the US 5th Fleet which, I am sure, would do whatever is necessary to keep the oil flowing out of the Gulf.

Operation Ernest Will, in 1987- 89 showed the overwhelming superiority of the the US Navy when it protected the reflagged Kuwaiti tankers crossing the Strait of Hormuz. Iran would be wise and prudent to cooperate with the international community. And the sooner, the better.

Neither Israel nor Iran can afford a war. Both should realise that things may go out of hand resulting in unforseen repercussions to both. America, also, must learn from the lessons of Iraq. Cool heads I hope will prevail on all sides and this dangerous scenario will come to a peaceful conclusion.

It behooves us all to remember the words of president Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces in the Second World War. He said: "I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity".

Did you write that? If you did, nice post.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I see my folks on there. Pete Sessions, and John Coryn. Been to fund raising dinners for both. Looks like they're doing a good job.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Dear [bamacre],

Thank you for your interest and concern regarding H.Con.Res. 362. Since the filing of this "sense of Congress" resolution, several groups, including the Mid-South Peace and Justice Center, have brought to my attention that the language can be interpreted to include blockade language. While I did not think the language contained in the resolution authorized or called for a blockade of Iran , I have heard your concerns. Out of an abundance of caution, I decided to withdraw my name as a co-sponsor of the resolution.

It is my understanding that there are currently no plans by the sponsor or the Committee to advance the bill and I do not plan to vote for the resolution as it is currently written.

I hope that you will feel free to contact me at any time in the future to voice your opinions on legislation before the House; I am very interested in hearing the views of my constituents. If you would like to receive periodic e- news updates from my office, please sign up on my website: www.cohen.house.gov.

As always, I remain,

Most sincerely,

Steve Cohen
Member of Congress