Democrats and Republican politicians both make personal mistakes...

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Republicans and Democrats politicians are all sinners. Bill Clinton got a BJ in the oval office and lied about it in a civil deposition. Edwards cheated on his wife. But last time I checked, neither candidate had infidelity as a big issue they were going to address in elected office

Compare this with Republicans (or more accurately, social conservatives). Republican social conservatives are generally anti-gay, anti-drugs, for traditional family values and biggest of all, for personal responsibility. You got the homophobic guy trying to pick up dudes in the bathroom. Now you have Palin's kid having pre-marital underage sex. I'm sure Demoractic politiicans' kids do this but their parents don't whine at lengths about the importance of abstinence. The bottom line is that when Republicans make mistakes, they violate their own policies.

Do you have any counter-examples? (Granted Ted Kennedy's Chappaquiddick incident was sleazy but the topic of leaving the scene of accidents isn't big on the Democratic agenda.)

The sickest part of all this IMO is the way certain social conservative Republicans seem to get off on rewarding these hypocritical politicians for their failures. GWB was seen as an average guy who overcame his problems. Now Palin is being defended as some sort of average mom. This is ridiculous. Palin doesn't need to be put in jail but not voting for her seems like a reasonable course of action if you purport to be for good parenting and absitenence.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Social Conservatives should mind their own fucking business and trust me, they have plenty of fucking business of their own to mind.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Social Conservatives should mind their own fucking business and trust me, they have plenty of fucking business of their own to mind.

I agree, at least as far as allowing religious beliefs to set policy that is binding on others without the same set of religious beliefs.

But I disagree that abstinence-first as an educational policy is in no way invalidated simply because an advocate has a teenage daughter who gets pregnant-- no more so than a "let's hand out condoms in every high school and junior high" advocate's position could be invalidated simply because their teenage daughter got pregnant.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: QED
But I disagree that abstinence-first as an educational policy is in no way invalidated simply because an advocate has a teenage daughter who gets pregnant-- no more so than a "let's hand out condoms in every high school and junior high" advocate's position could be invalidated simply because their teenage daughter got pregnant.

Not really the topic per se but it's a great anecdote of why it doesn't work backed up by scientific evidence (which most abstinence proponents are unable to recognize). If the governor of state can't get her daughter not to have sex, how is the average or less-than-average person supposed to?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Republicans, as fundie religionists, are deeply repressed individuals because fundamentalist religions by nature suppress bodily urges. Self hate, the hate of ones own need for pleasurable expression leads to violent and extremism of expression. A guy that is obsessed with sex and the thought that his feelings for young girls is a sin and evil can't think of anything else. He is doomed to commit the very thing he fears. You will always find the sickest individuals among the most deeply repressed, the worst examples of self hate.

The basic premise of religion is that man is evil and in need of God's help, whereas liberals believe more along the lines that God and the good is within them.

No mater who is the biggest nut case, however, people act according to what they believe, and if you think you're a piece of shit, you will be.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Republicans, as fundie religionists, are deeply repressed individuals because fundamentalist religions by nature suppress bodily urges. Self hate, the hate of ones own need for pleasurable expression leads to violent and extremism of expression. A guy that is obsessed with sex and the thought that his feelings for young girls is a sin and evil can't think of anything else. He is doomed to commit the very thing he fears. You will always find the sickest individuals among the most deeply repressed, the worst examples of self hate.

The basic premise of religion is that man is evil and in need of God's help, whereas liberals believe more along the lines that God and the good is within them.

No mater who is the biggest nut case, however, people act according to what they believe, and if you think you're a piece of shit, you will be.

Wrong. You are speaking about wack job extremist religious people, and that constitutes a small percentage of the Republican party.

Sorry to burst your bubble Socrates.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
It depends on the image the person has crafted of themselves. Edwards' career is over because a big part of his image was his relationship with his wife (I remember laughing at how they cut his campaign videos because they'd show him arriving someplace and the first thing he says is "Where's Elizabeth?" and you know it was staged). Clinton we all knew he screwed around and Hillary had this image of a cold, detached wife. So the BJ nobody really cared about but they hit him on the perjury charge as a means to keep it going, which I'll admit is still fair play but Clinton wasn't ostracized for his infidelity.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: TechAZ

Wrong. You are speaking about wack job extremist religious people, and that constitutes a small percentage of the Republican party.

For such a small percentage, they sure seem to have a lot of sex scandals.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: TechAZ

It constitutes a one half of the Republican ticket with the other half a whack job panderer. The Republican party is the party of crazies.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I think that just goes to show that the Libs have no policies/positions.

And by the way, not all Republicans are religious. There are plenty of us non-religious repubs walking the streets. gasp.....I know.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CPA
I think that just goes to show that the Libs have no policies/positions.

And by the way, not all Republicans are religious. There are plenty of us non-religious repubs walking the streets. gasp.....I know.
Yeah they are called Texans;)

winnar111

Banned
Mar 10, 2008
Originally posted by: Infohawk
The sickest part of all this IMO is the way certain social conservative Republicans seem to get off on rewarding these hypocritical politicians for their failures. GWB was seen as an average guy who overcame his problems. Now Palin is being defended as some sort of average mom. This is ridiculous. Palin doesn't need to be put in jail but not voting for her seems like a reasonable course of action if you purport to be for good parenting and absitenence.

Is that kind of like not voting for Al Gore and his Global Warming environuts because he owns a small armada of SUVs and a 10k sqft home?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

It constitutes a one half of the Republican ticket with the other half a whack job panderer. The Republican party is the party of crazies.

Hey, we liberals have some crazies, too. Ours are more harmless, though, not the 'let's win a nuclear war' crazies.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I don't remember much about that scandal. Did he have a history of railing against prostitution?

And of course not all Republicans are social fundamentalists.

It's a very fair catch on democrats - Spitzer was a hero for his work against corporate abuses, and his work included going after prostitution rings.

I think sexual issues are pretty universal, and affect both parties; the difference is which party has a harmful, phony ideology about them and tries to claim otherwise for votes.

This is why Cheney's daughter is so relevant - for one of their top two leaders to have a gay daughter, it flies in the face of the belief of so many that gay is 'just a lifestyle choice'.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
In the grand scheme of things we are all flawed human beings, right now a good case could be made for the republicans being the bigger hypocrites, but I do not have any faith that my own party is incapable of playing catchup in the hypocrite department.

Its we the American voter that are ultimately the arbiters, we needed to refine our bullshit hypocrisy detectors and hold our politicians to higher standards.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
All humans are flawed. It's a good reason to keep any of them from having too much power. Government is too big and completely unaccountable.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
This is ridiculous. Palin doesn't need to be put in jail but not voting for her seems like a reasonable course of action if you purport to be for good parenting and absitenence.

Too far reaching, nice try though - and good touch with the fake outrage.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: daveymark

Not really sure what the point of your post is. What is too far reaching? The fact that Republicans are more hypocritical about their vices than Democrats?

The only outrageous thing is Republican politicians blabbering about social indecency one second and being indecent the next. (E.g., closet gays in airport bathrooms.)

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
This is ridiculous. Palin doesn't need to be put in jail but not voting for her seems like a reasonable course of action if you purport to be for good parenting and absitenence.

Not really sure what the point of your post is. What is too far reaching? The fact that Republicans are more hypocritical about their vices than Democrats?

The only outrageous thing is Republican politicians blabbering about social indecency one second and being indecent the next. (E.g., closet gays in airport bathrooms.)

the point is your OP started off with a good amount of steam, but disintegrated with that last sentence. no one is going to let this "issue" determine their choice in the voting booth, as much as you'd like otherwise. The fact that you'd consider comparing Palin's parenting to "sinning" or something "indecent" and a "vice" is disturbing at worst and laughable at best - and is exactly why this won't become an issue. Your ilk are acting like Palin built a brothel and forced her preteen daughter to work in it for no pay at gunpoint.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

the point is your OP started off with a good amount of steam, but disintegrated with that last sentence.

I don't think many people will change their votes because of this, but it would be more rational than defending her like a lot of people are doing in the forums. A poster in another thread defending Palin said s/he found this story "refreshing." I think that is ridiculous. If you believe teens shouldn't have sex (which a lot of social conservatives do) then you should be outraged.