Democrats and Ossoff lose...............again

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
These days whenever I hear "independent" I have to vet people closely before really believing that. Because in almost every case I've come across, "independent" (or Cthulhu forbid "libertarian") means "I agree with everything the GOP does, but I'm bisexual/smoke pot."

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
These days whenever I hear "independent" I have to vet people closely before really believing that. Because in almost every case I've come across, "independent" (or Cthulhu forbid "libertarian") means "I agree with everything the GOP does, but I'm bisexual/smoke pot."

Research shows that nearly all independents are closet partisans.

Reactions: Azuma Hazuki

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
I actually am an independent, but most (not all!) of my votes have historically gone to the Democrat party simply because they were the lesser of two evils. I'm not sure that can continue though; the Dems are pretty fucking evil themselves. Would heaven we had a viable third party! But no one wants to do that because the inevitable result will be the defeat of the third party *and* whichever party it was drawing votes away from.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I actually am an independent, but most (not all!) of my votes have historically gone to the Democrat party simply because they were the lesser of two evils. I'm not sure that can continue though; the Dems are pretty fucking evil themselves. Would heaven we had a viable third party! But no one wants to do that because the inevitable result will be the defeat of the third party *and* whichever party it was drawing votes away from.

Well that's the thing, if you basically always vote for the democrats you aren't an independent, at least not as the term is commonly understood.

Also our system of elections is set up in a way that no rational person should vote for a third party. Blame the founding fathers for being stupid in that respect.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
I'm not registered with either party, and let me damn tell you it's been really teeth-grinding to pull that fucking D lever for the last 4 years or so. Talk about your Hobson's Choice...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not registered with either party, and let me damn tell you it's been really teeth-grinding to pull that fucking D lever for the last 4 years or so. Talk about your Hobson's Choice...

Most 'independents' make the same choice. This doesn't have to apply to you, but the vast majority of self described independents are people who vote almost indistinguishably from partisans.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Call it what you want. In any case I hope to be either in Soviet Canuckistan or dead before 2020; this place is bat-buggering insane and it's about to get a lot worse.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
What the fuck does that mean? If you're comparing my giving the local degens a good kicking to what that 70 year old walking dumpster fire of a human being does, you owe me an apology right the hell now.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
What the fuck does that mean? If you're comparing my giving the local degens a good kicking to what that 70 year old walking dumpster fire of a human being does, you owe me an apology right the hell now.

You basically repeated what Ted Nugent said when Obama was reelected in 2012.

You won't get an apology from me, what you said was ridiculous.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
How is it ridiculous to say the country's going to hell in a handbasket? Have you looked around you recently? I've seen this show before; the last episode was broadcast in German about 80 years ago and the ending sucked really, really hard.

Nov 25, 2013
Call it what you want. In any case I hope to be either in Soviet Canuckistan or dead before 2020; this place is bat-buggering insane and it's about to get a lot worse.

Planning on moving up here? Cool. Any idea what part of the country you want to live in?

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
BC (Victoria or Vancouver) for preference, as my girlfriend is Chinese by way of Malaysia and I come from one of the US's biggest Chinatowns, so it'll feel like home. Ontario is a close second. If I *have* to I'll go to Alberta. Absolutely not going to Yellowknife, Regina, etc.

Nov 25, 2013
BC (Victoria or Vancouver) for preference, as my girlfriend is Chinese by way of Malaysia and I come from one of the US's biggest Chinatowns, so it'll feel like home. Ontario is a close second. If I *have* to I'll go to Alberta. Absolutely not going to Yellowknife, Regina, etc.

Vancouver if you have *lots* of money. Victoria if you have almost as much money.

I live in the Lower Mainland (what we call the greater regional area) and its damn expensive. I'm planning on retiring at the end of next year and will probably have to move out to the far outskirts of the greater region. <sigh> On the other hand, if you can afford to live here, it's a wonderful place to be (weather, people, geography, and much more). The Lower Mainland is now the largest Asian city outside of Asia which is kinda cool imo.

Anyway, good luck with wherever you choose. :)

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Hah, no on the "lots of money" part. Alberta it is I guess. Or, hell, maybe i'll go freeze and die near Great Slave Lake, I don't even care anymore.

Nov 25, 2013
Hah, no on the "lots of money" part. Alberta it is I guess. Or, hell, maybe i'll go freeze and die near Great Slave Lake, I don't even care anymore.

As long as you don't want to live in the heart of the city, and don't want to buy a house, the region is still doable. It might be about to get better because the provincial govt. is about to change to a left wingish govt..

Might also suggest Winnipeg, Manitoba (where I am originally from). Very affordable but with very cold winters. Nice and, generally, friendly city (much more so than Vancouver imo, but, I did move here so...). Relatively stable province in economic terms as well.

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
Well that's the thing, if you basically always vote for the democrats you aren't an independent, at least not as the term is commonly understood.

Also our system of elections is set up in a way that no rational person should vote for a third party. Blame the founding fathers for being stupid in that respect.

There's no provision for political parties in the Constitution. What did our FFs do here that upsets you so?

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
The electoral college, for a start. Not making sure that people don't become effectively nobility through the back way by amassing too much wealth. That whole "only free landowning white males can vote" thing sucked massive ass too.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
You basically repeated what Ted Nugent said when Obama was reelected in 2012.

You won't get an apology from me, what you said was ridiculous.

Ted Nugent said he'll either be dead or in jail in the context of the NRA/2nd amendment, implying he'll try to kill Obama or the like. That doesn't seem to be what Azuma is saying at all.

In addition, assuming some hypothetical leftist did imply violently opposing Trump & co, the outcome arguably isn't comparable to violently opposing decent human beings.

Azuma Hazuki

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks, @agent00f. That response from him really surprised me. That's the kind of thing I'd have expected from...well, from one of our shit-slinging degens.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There's no provision for political parties in the Constitution. What did our FFs do here that upsets you so?

Doesn't matter if there's a provision for it in the constitution and there's nothing wrong with political parties.

They set up a system where 51% of the voters gets 100% of the representation. That's a recipe for a two party system. Dumb way to do things.

Reactions: Azuma Hazuki

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I'll admit that there's no ducumented evidence that he said it. It is widely attributed to him on many sites. I think that's about as accurate as anyone can put it. What's the problem?
Has anybody told you yet that you're using a classic Trump misdirection tactic?

"I'm not saying this thing* is true, but a lot of people are saying it's true, so it must be true."

* thing: Obama being born in Kenya, 3-4 million of documented votes cast in favor of Clinton, or in this specific case a misattributed quote that Franklin never said

You really don't see a problem with using this logic in an argument?