Democratic Senators Block Republican-led Net Neutrality Repeal

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=23249

I wouldn't necessarily have an issue stopping net neutrality if there were other options available. Also, like other huge monopolies of the past, they will eventually get to big for their own britches and come crashing down in a mass of popular resentment (think oil, steel, telecom)

Oct 16, 1999
They know that weak government and strong corporations are the path to prosperity. Despite any evidence to the contrary. They are the party of true convictions.

tydas

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2000
Well, I don't think that the GOP arguement is without merit...why should I (comcast) pay to increase my infrastructure to pay for 30% of my users sucking up bandwith? when i can just throttle them instead?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well, I don't think that the GOP arguement is without merit...why should I (comcast) pay to increase my infrastructure to pay for 30% of my users sucking up bandwith? when i can just throttle them instead?
Why should I be forced to use comcast because comcast and cox have a sweatheart deal to divide up territory rather than compete over it?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Why should I be forced to use comcast because comcast and cox have a sweatheart deal to divide up territory rather than compete over it?

your local government grants those monopolies.

Macamus Prime

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2011
"Real" Americans take pride in being free from the government, but slaves to corporations. Well, other Americans being slaves to corporations - corporations owned by "Real" Americans.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
your local government grants those monopolies.

Yes, but those monopolies were granted in a net-neutral environment. Major internet providers - monopolies in hand - now want to change the rules. What a surprise. And of course, the right thinks that just dandy.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
These are often natural monopolies to begin with.

Not really, natural monopolies is used as an ex post facto rationale for explaining why there is a lack of competition in "public utilities". The fact is that franchise fees that local governments receive are higher if there is not competition because these fees are paid as a percentage of gross receipts.

Given that local governments are revenue seeking entities, they would prefer to seek their extra revenues by having higher gross receipts from utility monopolies than by raising property taxes, the latter is far more unpopular, and the former generally goes unnoticed.

I agree with the sentiment that turning back on this net neutrality once the monopolies are already reinforced is allowing these utility companies to exploit the consumers unnaturally.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I would not be surprised if this all eventually leads to the end of "unlimited" broadband plans. Comcast has de facto eliminated it for consumer plans.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I would not be surprised if this all eventually leads to the end of "unlimited" broadband plans. Comcast has de facto eliminated it for consumer plans.

The way I understand the issue, which I admit I have a very limited understanding of massive network infrastructure, is that companies like Netflix are capitalizing on other peoples buildouts while contributing nothing towards increasing the infrastructure to handle the increased demand.

Now that streaming has become so popular, especially HD streaming, the existing infrastructure is getting taxed. Upgrades must be done in order to keep up with the growing demand so that someone other than the companies paying for the upgrades can continue to profit.

The only other option that I see is to raise the end consumers rates, regardless of their use of high bandwidth services, or place caps that make services like netflix much less attractive.

Something must give though, at least the way that I understand it.

Oct 16, 1999
Basically the internet has become too awesome for current infrastructure so the ISP's should be able to make it less awesome for their customers. Free market innovation!

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
These are often natural monopolies to begin with.

In 2005, the City of Baltimore, Maryland entered into a 12-year exclusive contract with Comcast Cable, giving the company complete control of the city's cable-television franchise. What did the city get out of that deal? A pittance paid toward creating more "robust" public-access television programming, and an agreement that the city would have partial regulatory control over the company via a Cable Communications Advisory Commission. In March of this year, City Councilman William Cole (D-11th District) revealed that the commission, which should have 14 members, is not currently in operation. Which means that Comcast, which provides cable television, high-speed internet, and digital phone services in the city, gets to operate with little to no oversight. Ask around and you'll find that many of your friends living in the city have horror stories about bad customer service, incorrect billing, and myriad other problems--but nowhere to take those complaints but to the company itself, which has no real competitors and thus no incentive to improve. We know that Cole and other City Council members want to hold hearings on whether we can get Verizon's FiOS service in the city before Comcast's monopoly contract is up, but we'd settle for some assurance that someone, anyone, in city government would listen to our complaints about Comcast and put some pressure on the company to treat the city residents who are stuck with it with some respect.
Yeah...Natural indeed.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
We already pay exorbitant rates for poorer service than they have in many other countries. The service providers are already ripping us off in a number of ways. They dream of finding new ways to extract more and more. Most of their arguments for ending net neutrality are nothing more than smoke and mirrors BS. Their numbers regarding cost of providing bandwidth and strain on infrastructure have been shown to be bogus several times. Their greed led them to habitual lying and has cost them any credibility.