Democratic rivals agree to play nicer

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just read this over on Yahoo I definitely think it's good news. Hopefully both Obama and Clinton are finally coming to their senses and will stop the stuff at the end of this article. If either of them is going to have a chance they can't continue to give McCain ammunition for the GE. Story follows...

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer 4 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - On this presidential rivals Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton can agree: They sometimes disagree with their trash-talking supporters and will try to cool it. Advisers to the Democratic candidates shed some light Friday on the private chat the two candidates had Thursday on the Senate floor.

The talk lasted three or four minutes in full view of reporters watching on the balcony above who could see them talking, but not hear what they said.

"They approached one another and spoke about how supporters for both campaigns have said things they reject," said Clinton spokesman Phil Singer. "They agreed that the contrasts between their respective records, qualifications and issues should be what drives this campaign, and nothing else."

An Obama adviser, speaking on a condition of anonymity about the private conversation, gave a similar account, while stressing that it was Obama who approached Clinton on the subject. They committed to making sure that their supporters don't get overheated in the future, the adviser said.

With Clinton and Obama in such a close race for the nomination, the campaign has grown increasingly acrimonious. Surrogates and aides to the candidates have stirred racial and gender divisions that Democrats fear will leave the eventual nominee badly damaged and battered heading into the general election.

Party members also fear that the rancor will make it difficult to unite the party for the November contest, undercutting Democrats' chances of winning the White House after eight years of President Bush.

Democrats face a protracted nomination fight that is likely to last at least until voting in June and perhaps won't be resolved until the convention in Denver at the end of August.

In contrast, John McCain has already secured the Republican nomination and has moved forward with fundraising and other efforts that will prepare him to campaign against whoever emerges from the Obama-Clinton fight. A badly damaged and battered nominee will do nothing to help their united cause of getting a Democrat back in the White House next year.

Clinton and Obama's rare appearance in the Senate was to cast several votes on a closely debated budget bill.

It followed a week of harsh words that led to resignations in both camps. Samantha Power gave up her position as an unpaid foreign policy adviser to Obama after calling Clinton a "monster." Geraldine Ferraro, who was the party's vice presidential nominee in 1984, stepped down from Clinton's finance committee after she said Obama would not have made it this far if he were white.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
My bet is the Hillary camp won't stick to it.

Obama is the "Master of Nice", she can't play that game and hope to make inroads. "Play nice" ain't in the Clinton playbook unless they're way ahead.

Fern

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Looks like a climb-down for Clinton. Barack was never as ruthless as her.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I don't understand why the media keeps painting it as the two candidates fighting dirty, and now agreeing to play nicer. The only one not playing nice is Hillary...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern
My bet is the Hillary camp won't stick to it.

Obama is the "Master of Nice", she can't play that game and hope to make inroads. "Play nice" ain't in the Clinton playbook unless they're way ahead.

Fern

Play nice isn't in any politician's playbook unless they are way ahead. Look at what Obama and Edwards did to Clinton back in Iowa and New Hampshire. Remember when they were both ganging up on her and beating her down? The general politics handbook says play nice when way ahead, attack when neutral, and attack DIRTY when behind.

That holds true for all politicians, Obama included.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
I don't understand why the media keeps painting it as the two candidates fighting dirty, and now agreeing to play nicer. The only one not playing nice is Hillary...

calling her a monster?
implying that she was the one responsible for her husband cheating on her?
blowing every odd quote out of context?

yeah, real quality stuff coming from the Obama camp. maybe his moral compass condones it because she's white.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: SSSnail
I opened the link, there was Ann Coulter commenting. I closed the link.

Youtube has this wonderful feature were you can skip ahead someone as irrelevant as Ann Coulter to about 1:30 which I did since I don't care for her either.

To sum up the video Hillary had the head of the White House travel office falsely indicted for embezzlement since it would have looked bad if she just had him fired, which was her right, because he wouldn't play ball with the people who she wanted to bring in as political favors.

He was an exemplary civil servant who served in the travel office since John F. Kennedy. They used the IRS and the FBI to go after him and his children. He was given a choice to plea but he couldn't proclaim his innocence if he took the pleabargain.

He decided to fight instead and was acquitted of all charges.

A modern day Jezebel true to her form, using the government authority to destroy those who stand in her way.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
boring news.

reminds me of how much I was really hoping for Hillary v Rudy.
wth, you wanted rudy as the republican nominee? He was a fvcking disaster waiting to happen if I've ever seen one (perhaps even worse than Bush, dare I say).

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
#2 must always try harder. And both Hillary and Obama have a point, its often their supporters that are doing the politically incorrect things. With few differences in actual political positions, side issues like experience are touted. And like or not, the longer the Obama Hillary argument goes, the more each will damage the other.

Its hardly all roses on the GOP side, McCain is not a unifying figure that can energize all parts of the GOP base. And as an out of the news candidate, those deep GOP divisions may get wall papered over, but underneath the band aids, there are some gaping open wounds that can't get aired.

And with close to 40 days left until Pennsylvania, maybe the three Senators who constitute the real POTUS field in 08 will remember they still have a job they were hired to do in the Senate. And instead of telling us about the wonderful leadership qualities they have, maybe they might actually demonstrate they can get something done in the Senate.

Time and events will later tell the story we can't clearly see now.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: loki8481
boring news.

reminds me of how much I was really hoping for Hillary v Rudy.

wth, you wanted rudy as the republican nominee? He was a fvcking disaster waiting to happen if I've ever seen one (perhaps even worse than Bush, dare I say).

Rudy v Hillary would've been a helluva campaign to watch :D