Democratic Judge Spares Man in Teen Rape Case: ‘Incarceration Isn’t Appropriate’

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
This week, Mr. Belter, 20, was sentenced in the assault on M.M. and in sexual attacks on three other teenage girls. Facing up to eight years in prison, he was instead given eight years’ probation by a judge who said he had “agonized” over the decision.

The attacks on M.M. and the three other girls — two 16-year-olds and a 15-year-old — occurred at the house over an 18-month period starting in February 2017.

Still, the judge continued, “It seems to me that a sentence that involves incarceration or partial incarceration isn’t appropriate.” He told Mr. Belter, who must register as a sex offender, the probation would be “like a sword hanging” over his head for the next eight years. He offered no further explanation for why the sentence did not include prison time.

“My client threw up in the ladies room following the sentencing,” Mr. Cohen said in an email, adding that “if Chris Belter was not a white defendant from a rich and influential family” he “would surely have been sentenced to prison.”

In a statement on Thursday, Brian Seaman, the Niagara County district attorney, expressed frustration with the sentence, saying that the office had been “very clear that we believed a prison sentence was entirely appropriate in this case.”

Cherry on top? He was originally given an interim sentence of two years’ probation. He broke the rules of his probation and that is why this went back to court now at the age of 20.

Oh the irony...

Repost.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My bad, the other title didn't have any information about the case and didn't notice it.

At least mine includes information that the other thread chooses to ignore, not surprisingly. ;)
Seems to me affluenza is the relevant topic. In the other thread I didn't even look at the political affiliation of the judge. I said he needs to go on the merit.

Get it? On the merit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
People still seem confused that we have a status based justice system which metes out wildly different punishments on that basis.

Reactions: Vic and Pohemi

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Seems to me affluenza is the relevant topic. In the other thread I didn't even look at the political affiliation of the judge. I said he needs to go on the merit.

Get it? On the merit.
So, let's be honest here, if a Republican Judge did this, would people not be flocking to say "rich protect rich" and talk all kinds of shit about republicans? Don't lie to yourself. You can go right back to the other threads and see where people have done this over and over. Point is, both parties are fucked up. If Dems are so much better than Reps, why wouldn't they crack down on shit like this? Being rich shouldn't have anything to do with that. So you are saying that these possibly lower class or middle class victims do not deserve a fair defense and protection simply because the kid has rich parents? Seems there is a major disconnect between what you say Dems preach and how much better they are.

Ironic. This is why I hate both parties and have said they are both evil. But you know, people won't realize that when they are loyal to a certain one. Basically, you're choosing one evil over the other. It is relevant as much is it is in other cases talked about.

But I'm sure no one here wants to hear that.

• Haha

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
People still seem confused that we have a status based justice system which metes out wildly different punishments on that basis.

Only confusion at the moment seems to be Op's inability to figure out that the poorly titled original thread has already covers this topic

I'm guessing OP was very exited to have found a way to politicize the title, but unfortunately this is old news at this point.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
So, let's be honest here, if a Republican Judge did this, would people not be flocking to say "rich protect rich" and talk all kinds of shit about republicans? Don't lie to yourself. You can go right back to the other threads and see where people have done this over and over. Point is, both parties are fucked up. If Dems are so much better than Reps, why wouldn't they crack down on shit like this? Being rich shouldn't have anything to do with that. So you are saying that these possibly lower class or middle class victims do not deserve a fair defense and protection simply because the kid has rich parents? Seems there is a major disconnect between what you say Dems preach and how much better they are.

Ironic. This is why I hate both parties and have said they are both evil. But you know, people won't realize that when they are loyal to a certain one. Basically, you're choosing one evil over the other. It is relevant as much is it is in other cases talked about.

No one cares.
Existing thread already exists.

Story is last week's news.

Next time be more on the ball with following current events and you'd beat out the other the thread starter.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

How do you hoist yourself onto your cross?

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Oh good, the #bothsides people have returned.

Anyone who thinks like you do is part of the problem. You’re willing dupes for the people trying to end democracy in the US.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Oh good, the #bothsides people have returned.

Anyone who thinks like you do is part of the problem. You’re willing dupes for the people trying to end democracy in the US.
LOL, that makes no sense. Just because I think both parties are corrupt and it's been proven time and time again, I'm all the sudden willing to be dupe for someone? Sorry, not going to happen. I just think it's funny to watch the hypocrisy. I knew you guys would get triggered and lose your shit and not even once discuss the political aspect, but no one can talk negatively about your party! It's a bit stupid. But totally expected. #brainwashedsheep

• Haha

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
To whomever started this post, Racism and White Privilege is a non partisan issue. I would hope you understand that.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
To whomever started this post, Racism and White Privilege is a non partisan issue. I would hope you understand that.
You are completely missing the point of this thread. Go to some of the other court case threads that have nothing to do with Race or White Privilege. This reply doesn't have to do with either. I found it funny looking at another thread where they said "
Republics "They don’t care about the rule of law or Justice being served or innocent until proven guilty they want anarchy. They are detrimental to any high functioning society and especially to democracy."

But a Dem judge lets a 4 time racist off instead of the 8 years+ the DA recommended. This is AFTER he broke the rules of his parole. Point, it happens in both parties. You can blame white privilege, but in the same breath, you are calling this "old news" and don't once mention that this is happening under your parties watch. Why isn't the Dem Judge stopping this white privilege? I'm confused how they promote their platform as tax the rich and give back to the middle and lower class. Those are the people they care the most about. But hey, if this kid is rich, rape is OK!!!

I find that very odd and hypocritical. Only condemning when the opposite party does wrong, but turning a blind eye when it happens under your parties watch.

• Haha

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
LOL, that makes no sense. Just because I think both parties are corrupt and it's been proven time and time again, I'm all the sudden willing to be dupe for someone? Sorry, not going to happen. I just think it's funny to watch the hypocrisy. I knew you guys would get triggered and lose your shit and not even once discuss the political aspect, but no one can talk negatively about your party! It's a bit stupid. But totally expected. #brainwashedsheep
It makes perfect sense. If both parties are not in fact the same and one is a direct threat to democracy then people who pretend they are simply enable the worst actors. You’re a willing dupe.

You’re part of their plan and they depend on you to feel like you’re being smart by saying everyone is equally bad, but you’re just being played.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
You are completely missing the point of this thread. Go to some of the other court case threads that have nothing to do with Race or White Privilege. This reply doesn't have to do with either. I found it funny looking at another thread where they said "
Republics "They don’t care about the rule of law or Justice being served or innocent until proven guilty they want anarchy. They are detrimental to any high functioning society and especially to democracy."

But a Dem judge lets a 4 time racist off instead of the 8 years+ the DA recommended. This is AFTER he broke the rules of his parole. Point, it happens in both parties. You can blame white privilege, but in the same breath, you are calling this "old news" and don't once mention that this is happening under your parties watch. Why isn't the Dem Judge stopping this white privilege? I'm confused how they promote their platform as tax the rich and give back to the middle and lower class. Those are the people they care the most about. But hey, if this kid is rich, rape is OK!!!

I find that very odd and hypocritical. Only condemning when the opposite party does wrong, but turning a blind eye when it happens under your parties watch.
The judge in this has been roundly condemned here. So where is the hypocrisy your are so concerned about in this case?

• Love

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I knew you guys would get triggered and lose your shit and not even once discuss the political aspect, but no one can talk negatively about your party! It's a bit stupid. But totally expected. #brainwashedsheep
Who is triggered here? That's a nice, shiny mirror you have there, pal.
You are completely missing the point of this thread...
...But a Dem judge...
...Why isn't the Dem Judge stopping this white privilege? I'm confused how they promote their platform as tax the rich and give back to the middle and lower class...
...I find that very odd and hypocritical. Only condemning when the opposite party does wrong, but turning a blind eye when it happens under your parties watch.
Justices do not run and get elected on a partisan platform or basis. Judges almost always have some slant to their personal beliefs, the oaths they take are to not let that affect decisions. It still happens, of course.

It's funny that you pounce on a single case with a single judge who has Democratic leanings...whose decision is already being condemned here and elsewhere by other liberals.

What you are doing here is attributing a bad bench decision to the ENTIRE Democratic party and all liberals. It's pretty fucking stupid. And laughable.

Last edited:

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
It makes perfect sense. If both parties are not in fact the same and one is a direct threat to democracy then people who pretend they are simply enable the worst actors. You’re a willing dupe.

You’re part of their plan and they depend on you to feel like you’re being smart by saying everyone is equally bad, but you’re just being played.
I'm nor sure you know what a dupe is. I'm not someone who is easily deceived or fooled. I realize that BOTH parties are horrible in their own way. Yes, I totally understand you are picking the lesser of two evils, but you also are turning a blind eye because it's the party you pick. Having the ideology that things need to change and people shouldn't vote just on the party line, isn't wrong and it's just a different way to think about it. I don't want to following a group like a sheep when I know they are still doing a lot of the same things. Obviously not the most egregious things that some people do, but there's a lot more that goes on overall.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.