Democrat hopefuls looking to pay reparations to people that have never been slaves.

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Show me where harris called them reparations?
Of course Republican would use that word! They want to fire up there base! What is sad is what our political system has become!

THE ROOT: Should black people get reparations?

KAMALA HARRIS: I think there has to be some form of reparations. We can discuss what that is, but look, we’re looking at more than 200 years of slavery. We’re looking at almost a hundred years of Jim Crow. We’re looking at legalized segregation and, in fact, segregation on so many levels that exists today, based on race. And there has not been any kind of intervention done understanding the harm and the damage that occurred to correct course, and so we are seeing the effects of all of those years play out still today.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
If YOU believe they stand for reparations then why can’t you just show me one single quote where they say as much?

I think the media is engaging in herding activity here and their narrative is wrong. It’s in some ways too bad as I don’t really oppose reparations of some sort but that’s not what they are going for here.

Reparations = righting past wrongs, which is what AA (not just about "diversity") and other policies more specifically targeted towards minorities are supposed to do.

Giving people compensation solely based on their skin color/ancestry is asinine. it's not like white people have privilege/opportunity evenly distributed out with a low SD. And funnily, things like AA don't even screw the most privilege nearly as much as it does with whites/Asians with poorer backgrounds.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You didn`t show me anything. You have a link usinga viable news source...
Until then here is what Harris actually said --
Here is what Harris actually said..."We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities," Harris said in the statement to the Times. "I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities."

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
[QUOTE="woolfe9998

KAMALA HARRIS: I think there has to be some form of reparations. We can discuss what that is, but look, we’re looking at more than 200 years of slavery. We’re looking at almost a hundred years of Jim Crow. We’re looking at legalized segregation and, in fact, segregation on so many levels that exists today, based on race. And there has not been any kind of intervention done understanding the harm and the damage that occurred to correct course, and so we are seeing the effects of all of those years play out still today.
[/QUOTE]
Here is what Harris actually said..."We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities," Harris said in the statement to the Times. "I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities."

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
[QUOTE="woolfe9998

Here is the video of that interview I quoted. The topic of "reparations" comes up at 17:20.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...acist_has_to_be_some_form_of_reparations.html

Yeah, she said it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Here is the video of that interview I quoted. The topic of "reparations" comes up at 17:20.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/v...acist_has_to_be_some_form_of_reparations.html

Yeah, she said it.
Of course she said it -- duh...yesterday -- see when the video was posted!
Eventally she said it! I don1t see how you can think or even fabricate you had a I told you so moment!
Did you listen to the rest of the video?/ Did she mention the word "money"? Nope....in fact she was asked about reparations by the person doing the interview...
So when this topic was posted originally last Friday she did not mention the word - reparation!
It took a freaking interview where the interviewer brought up the issue!
What I see you grasping for straws until you finally found an insignificant straw but hey it was a straw!!
Conratulations!! Feel any better?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Of course she said it -- duh...yesterday -- see when the video was posted!
Eventally she said it! I don1t see how you can think or even fabricate you had a I told you so moment!
Did you listen to the rest of the video?/ Did she mention the word "money"? Nope....in fact she was asked about reparations by the person doing the interview...
So when this topic was posted originally last Friday she did not mention the word - reparation!
It took a freaking interview where the interviewer brought up the issue!
What I see you grasping for straws until you finally found an insignificant straw but hey it was a straw!!
Conratulations!! Feel any better?

OK, then here's another interview from over two weeks ago where she says it.

Discussion starts around 16 minutes. At one point she is asked if she supports reparations and she says "yes."

As I said earlier in the thread, the policies she is talking about don't sound like reparations to me. They sound like social welfare policies of the kind that many dems support. But she's willing to call them reparations because it helps her shore up support among black voters.

Not grasping at straws here. You claimed she has never said she was in favor of reparations, but she has, at least twice.

jameny5

Aug 7, 2018
No, it isn't not reparations because it isn't a cash payment. It isn't reparations because these programs they're proposing benefit all low income people, not just African Americans. As such, they are social welfare programs, as I said, not unlike numerous others proposed now and in the past by other democrats. They can call it reparations to court black voters, and incur the ire of the right, if they want, but that doesn't make these programs any different than others proposed by dems which have not been framed as reparations.
So what is Kam saying? I know she not saying her Jamaican ancestors were wronged more than Black folks. Someone put some corn rows in her hair so I can pull em out. As soon as she gets in the White House - White folk's are going to accuse her of being the reason for all the Mary Jane being legalized in all the states. So scratch her off the Presidential contest list! We don't need her...

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Seems a pointless semantic argument. Can anyone clearly define the difference between 'reparations' and 'resdistribution' or just plain 'fairness'?

Most inequality can be traced back to some past, or even on-going, injustice.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I never met a slave and I am 61 years old. Who is it that was a slave that needs reparations? I think for young people minority or otherwise that this is a great time to be alive. The key to success in life is simple. Dont commit crimes, dont do drugs and dont be an alcoholic. Go to school and earn a degree and it should be fairly easy to get a job. If you are a criminal it is your own fault you cant find a job.

My father was not rich. He was a military man and did his best to support his family. We survived by working hard, going to school, and avoided committing crimes. These are things employers look for. We also went to school and learned skills or degrees that were useful for employment.

Reactions: jameny5