Democrat admits he dislikes his most loyal follower

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Obama admits he dislikes his most loyal follower

SPRINGFIELD -- For the past 10 days, U.S. Senate candidate Barack Obama hasn't been able to go to the bathroom or talk to his wife on his cell phone without having a camera-toting political gofer from his Republican rival filming a few feet away.

In what has to be a first in Illinois politics, Republican Jack Ryan has assigned one of his campaign workers to record every movement and every word of the state senator while he is in public.

That means Justin Warfel, armed with a handheld Panasonic digital camcorder, follows Obama to the bathroom door and waits outside. It means Warfel follows Obama as he moves from meeting to meeting in the Capitol. And it means Warfel tails Obama when he drives to his campaign office.

"It's standard procedure to record public speeches and things like that," Obama told reporters as the bald, 20-something operative filmed away. "But to have someone who's literally following you a foot and a half away, everywhere you go, going into the restrooms, standing outside my office, sitting outside of my office asking my secretary where I am, seems to be getting a little carried away."

Warfel interrupted Obama several times with heckling questions, but wouldn't respond when reporters asked him about who he was and why he was filming Obama's every move.

"You'll have to speak to the campaign office," Warfel said tartly to practically every inquiry.

Some senior Republicans were turned off by the tactic.

"I don't care if you're in public life or who you are," Senate Minority Leader Frank Watson (R-Greenville) said. "You deserve your space, your privacy. I don't think it's appropriate."

But Jason Miller, Ryan's campaign manager, insisted Obama's public movements are fair game and the point is to make sure Obama doesn't contradict himself with his public statements.

"If he's having a phone conversation, then Justin is not trying to tap into the conversation or record what he is saying or something like that," Miller said. "He's monitoring because you never know when ... a reporter comes up and starts asking questions."

this is pretty funny

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Why doesn't Obama get a restraining order slapped on the a$$ folowing him?
To be honest I think it's incredibly weird and disturbing that this is happening, and shouldn't be allowed.
I think Obama will do very well not to give the bloke a punch and tell him to fsck off in no uncertain terms, if the extent of the invasion of privacy is as the article suggests.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize
When Michael Moore does this, he wins oscars.

Moore isn't running for office. Moore is dick sometimes. Ryan knows better. He just chooses to be a dick.

I say take his camera, and kick the crap out of the guy :p

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Originally posted by: alchemize
When Michael Moore does this, he wins oscars.

Moore isn't running for office. Moore is dick sometimes. Ryan knows better. He just chooses to be a dick.

I say take his camera, and kick the crap out of the guy :p

Exactly what Ryan is hoping for ;) I live in Illinois and never heard a peep about this, so it isn't getting much local discussion. Of course, I don't live in the capital of democrat corruption where they are more concerned with these things. Daley...now there is a tribute to the DNC!

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Why doesn't Obama get a restraining order slapped on the a$$ folowing him?
To be honest I think it's incredibly weird and disturbing that this is happening, and shouldn't be allowed.
I think Obama will do very well not to give the bloke a punch and tell him to fsck off in no uncertain terms, if the extent of the invasion of privacy is as the article suggests.

this shouldnt be allowed but, partial birth abortions are ok? i know you didnt participate in that thread, but saying someting as trivial as this is unacceptable when something as horrendus as partial birth abortion is being fought for as a 'right' is just ridiculous!