Dem senators urge justices to deny Hobby Lobby ObamaCare exemption

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
The only one demanding anything is the government.

That is a heck of an attitude.

Why should hobby lobbies religious rights be infringes to supply something that is not a right?

Yes

I can provide numerous examples of companies refusing to provide certain services based on religious or moral issues.

Whether the service is to the employee or the consumer is there a real difference?

Last time I checked, the Supreme Court said abortions were a women's right. And that was a long time before the Affordable Care Act was ever passed, too.

I'm sure you think abortions for rapes or incest are terrible, too. Here's a clue, why don't you ask your wife how she feels about abortions?

And I guess you also didn't catch the Texas Lieutenant governors debate last night and hear their religiously charged comments on abortions and other civil rights issues. It sounded like they raised some undead religious zombies from the medieval dark ages to run for office, since they were obviously pandering to the Bible belt Baptists they want their votes from.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
You know what else reduces the risk of ovarian cancer? PREGNANCY!!!

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/reproductive-history

But Cool. You go ahead and make the case that it will statistically lower your chance of ovarian cancer.

I will trot out crying children whose mom died of cancer.

Your move.:confused:

My move? Ok, here's the answer that your post truly deserves.

Toaster_Love_Hearts.gif

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Last time I checked, the Supreme Court said abortions were a right. And that was a long time before the Affordable Care Act was ever passed, too.

Which of your rights does your employer pay for?

Does your employer pay for your newspaper subscriptions?

Does your employer pay for your gas to go to church or buy your bible?

Does your employer pay for your guns?

Certain rights are paid for by tax payers, such as elections, trial by jury, right to an attorney.

Please tell me exactly which of your rights are paid for by your employer.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Get over yourself. I provided two school systems which require residency which totally negates your argument WRT on call duties.

Nice to see intellectual honesty is alive and well in you. :Colbert:

Bottom line, that was a perfect example of compulsory off duty spending.

Please. You'd have to demonstrate that housing & commuting in Chicago costs more in Chicago than in the 'burbs.

Obviously, teachers will have to spend money to maintain a residence anywhere, rendering your non-point moot.

You seem very fond of convoluted apples to aardvarks comparisons.

Feb 4, 2009
I can't believe any doesn't think its odd that allowing this would simply allow businesses keep any benefit they want from being a corporation and simply dodge any disadvantage they choose. The who idea of this argument hobby lobby has undermines almost all corporate laws & rulings.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...y-lobby-case-urge-justices-to-deny-obamacare/

Drug companies not making enough money?

Stocks in drug companies not going high enough?

As usual democrats refuse to respect personal freedom.

Why should hobby lobby be forced to do something when there are other options out there for birth control? From another article I read it seems the main objection is over the plan B pill, and not birth control pills in general.

Companies don't?

Apr 27, 2012
I sure get tired of holier than thou religious fundies demanding their religious political rights over what women and gays can do with their bodies who aren't even a part of their religious cults in the first place.

Hobby Lobby can close down if they don't like funding abortions through their federally mandated healthcare plans, just like they threatened to do if they didn't get their way. They obviously really don't care about their employees as much as they claim they do if they will close up their stores over something of a personal medical nature that's none of their business to be dictating their terms about in the first place.

I really want to know how Chick Filet feels about this absolute travesty of religious injustice and stuff.

Hobby Lobby is a private business and if they don't want to pay for contraception then that's their right. It's also interesting how you refuse to mention the other religions.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
Hobby Lobby is a private business and if they don't want to pay for contraception then that's their right. It's also interesting how you refuse to mention the other religions.

Really? And what religion did I single out here? Because in my experiences, pretty much all religious fundies are alike and intractable on their positions and religious convictions, regardless of the religious cults being promoted.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Same as their "Right" to refuse service to persons of Color, right?

Apr 27, 2012
Really? And what religion did I single out here? Because in my experiences, pretty much all religious fundies are alike and intractable on their positions and religious convictions, regardless of the religion being promoted.

Based on your attack on Hobby Lobby it was clear you were going after Christians only. How about some consistency and going after all the religions?

Nov 25, 2013
Based on your attack on Hobby Lobby it was clear you were going after Christians only. How about some consistency and going after all the religions?

Is the company owned by Jews? Is the company owned by Buddhists? Is the company owned by Hindus? Is the company owned by Copts? Is the company owned by Greek Orthodox? Is the company owned by Muslims?

Just what is the religious affiliation of the people who own the company? Do you happen to know?

Apr 27, 2012
On the basis of race alone, as you've asserted previously, correct?

No, You moron. On any basis they want because it's private property.

If an atheist wants no Christians in their business then it's their right and they can say no. If a black guy wants no white people in his business then it's his right to say no.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Obamacare forces business to provide free contraception for women, this goes against the 1st amendment rights of the business owner and existing federal law protecting religious rights even beyond the 1st amendment.

Obamacare is illegal and it is unconstitutional.

OK incorrupidey07... whatever you say.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No. That was not what he said.

This is clearly off-duty compulsory spending.

Stop moving the goalposts. Kthx.

I don't care what he said. I care what you said, which is fundamentally dishonest. If living in Chicago is "compulsory spending", then so is living anywhere, for that matter.

Clearly, you want to not understand that, pretend that it isn't true so as to make some sort of absurd "point" about the basic similarities between apples & aardvarks.

Merely re-stating your original premise is pure denial.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, You moron. On any basis they want because it's private property.

If an atheist wants no Christians in their business then it's their right and they can say no. If a black guy wants no white people in his business then it's his right to say no.

So your answer is "Yes", even though you say no, and even though the SCOTUS has upheld civil rights legislation in all its particulars.

You speak from the pulpit of the usual white male privilege & supremacy, as if your racist & sexist views still are even vaguely acceptable in this country anywhere outside the old realms of Jim Crow & his minions, of which you are an excellent example.

Hobby Lobby has no more right to reject this particular business requirement than any other, certainly not according to scripture, anyway. Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, remember?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Who created the insurance policy? Hobby lobby or the insurance company? If company A is required to operate a certain way due to regulations and company B doesn't like what company A is offering, what would you say to company B? I know what you would say as you have already stated it; if you don't like it (what the company is offering) then go somewhere else. No one is forcing company B to provide health care to its employees, if they don't like what's being offered then don't buy it for their employees.

End of story.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't care what he said. I care what you said, which is fundamentally dishonest. If living in Chicago is "compulsory spending", then so is living anywhere, for that matter.

No. Imagine, if you will, a new teacher fresh out of college living with their parents outside of Chicago.

To be eligible for employment, said teacher needs to move and stay within the city limits. And to be clear, I'm not opposed to such a policy but let's call a spade a spade. Ivwshane said that your employer can't control what you do with your paycheck outside of work.

Forcing you to live within the city limits clearly invalidates that.

And lol @ you calling me dishonest when you're the one tossing half the discussion away. It must be great to be able to argue with what you wish people had said.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007

I tend to go after all bigoted religions equally if they actively enjoy openly persecuting anyone who don't believe EXACTLY like they do.

Then when the fundies who are persecuting others are rightly rebuked for their behavior, they will falsely twist that rebuke into thinking their cultist views are now somehow being religiously persecuted.

And this chain of events was all caused because the cultists tried to force their unwanted bigoted religious views on others not in their cult in the first place.

Do you now understand the circular religious persecution logic they all try to manipulate and use to their advantage?

This is also pretty much how a psychotic paranoid mind with a persecution complex manages to rationalize their unwanted behavior towards others who may disagree with them, by the way.

Present company accepted.

And isn't the goal of any religion to also try to convert all the heathen masses out there to their way of thinking? Why, yes, it is. Which is also partly why these deliberately manufactured "religious issues" keep coming up in one form or another. It's very much like a misbehaving child who is acting out just because the parents are ignoring them. But in this case, it's society largely ignoring them that makes them so bigoted and angry.

Like Westboro Baptist Church for instance.

And thanks again for your grossly false misinterpretation of my religious intentions towards any one religion.