Dem lawmakers announce bill to limit mail-order and internet ammunition sales.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I'd also guess that speed loaders in general are more bulky than glock clips, making it more difficult to carry large amts of ammo.

They are smaller, but then again, I don't expect you to know anything since you are completely ignorant about firearms.

goddamn you're dumb. And callous.

So no good retort, just "goddamn you're dumb" Well, that's just brilliant, you ignorance is on display for the world to see. As far as being "callous" far from it, I nan just admit the reality of the situation and that is that neither did nearly the damage they could have because they both chose to use shitty extended mags that jam. You dumbass's should be glad they had those instead of quality OEM mags or else the body count would have likely been higher, much higher.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
we should legislate that all such extended magazines have an engineered failure rate? I'm serious. Gun engineers are working all the time to make stuff more reliable.

Why don't you try thinking of ways to stop crazy, you know, the actual real problem instead of pawning it off on inanimate objects. This is why you are viewed as nothing more than an ineffectual waste, because you can't even identify the real problem, instead you focus on things like extended magazines, which did not cause these psycho's to go on shooting rampages.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Right, that is what Loughner was using right? The one that jammed also?

Also, as terrible as it was in Aurora, how many were wounded vs killed? 12 killed, 58 wounded? While horrible the fact is that's a much better ratio than 70 killed. Same with Loughner, 6 killed 14 injured, the extra capacity didn't exactly help them.

And there's nothing "misleading" about it.

His gun jammed because he was using a shitty extended mag, anyone whose fired from an extended mag knows how shitty they are.

Peachy, but still misleading. I doubt that Glock factory mags are shitty, at all-

http://www.glockmeister.com/22-Round-40-GLOCK-Factory-Magazine/productinfo/G22MAGHF22/

With 1 under the hammer, that's 1 round shy of 4X the capacity of a six shooter.

I've used speed loaders, and they're not quite as elegant as you represent them to be, particularly not in the dark...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Peachy, but still misleading.

What exactly is "misleading"?

I doubt that Glock factory mags are shitty, at all-

http://www.glockmeister.com/22-Round-40-GLOCK-Factory-Magazine/productinfo/G22MAGHF22/

With 1 under the hammer, that's 1 round shy of 4X the capacity of a six shooter.

I've used speed loaders, and they're not quite as elegant as you represent them to be, particularly not in the dark...

They are good for extended mags, they are also still more prone to jam than the regular shorter ones. I've used them too, with some practice they can be faster than a magazine.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think it may be legal to consider ammunition like other controlled and licensed equipment that the govt controls like dynamite and blasting caps. It could demand more stringent control and handling of firearms and ammunition. The problem is that there are so many gun dealers and ammunition is sold everywhere. You can probably scate the laws by purchasing gunpowder, bullets, shell cases, loading supplies and primers separately. There are probably already people reloading spent shell cases.

In the past I have seen gun dealers selling whole crates full of solid steel AK-47 rounds. This is like a box of 10,000 rounds.

Speaking of ammunition, I use to purchase ammunition like 22LR shells in 1,000 round containers that came in a special winchester western collectable tins. 1,000 rounds of 22LR does not take up much space.

Last edited:

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
What exactly is "misleading"?

They are good for extended mags, they are also still more prone to jam than the regular shorter ones. I've used them too, with some practice they can be faster than a magazine.

my point is that over time engineering for such extended magazines will improve. They're not always guaranteed to jam.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
my point is that over time engineering for such extended magazines will improve. They're not always guaranteed to jam.

Engineering? There's not a whole lot going on inside of them, it's a combination of factors, everything from carbon build up, to differences in shell casings, the fed ramp, spring strength, age, type of bullet, mag catch, etc, etc. You should really learn at least a little bit about what you are talking about before ...talking about it. Also, they aren't exactly new, they've been engineered on for years, and years already.

Last edited:

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
we should legislate that all such extended magazines have an engineered failure rate? I'm serious. Gun engineers are working all the time to make stuff more reliable.

no, we should legislate against the root cause of the problem. make a law that makes it illegal to kill or seriously injure someone. there. done.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Obama did more for the gun industry than Bush did....wasn't there a 50% increase in gun sales from 2007 to 2008 or something? And half a million back ground requests run the day after the election?

The amusing part about that to me is Obama has basically taken no steps at all against gun owners, and he has given little indication that he tends to do so. Yet many gun folks seem convinced he's going to come take their guns at any second.

I don't think Obama did much for the gun industry, but I think paranoid gun enthusiasts did a lot for the gun industry. You would think all those people would feel silly rushing out to buy a bunch of guns and ammo and then nothing happened, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
The amusing part about that to me is Obama has basically taken no steps at all against gun owners, and he has given little indication that he tends to do so. Yet many gun folks seem convinced he's going to come take their guns at any second.

I don't think Obama did much for the gun industry, but I think paranoid gun enthusiasts did a lot for the gun industry. You would think all those people would feel silly rushing out to buy a bunch of guns and ammo and then nothing happened, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

then why protect Holder and the failed fast and furious operation? I don't think he's upfront about his intentions. after getting elected i can see it happening but it's too much of a risk to even let out a peep about it now

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005

article said:
Two Democratic lawmakers on Monday will announce new legislation to regulate the online and mail-order sale of ammunition.

/forecasting future

In other news two Democratic lawmakers were found to have ties to the ammunition industry after their dead-end proposal sent survivalist forum lurkers scrambling to order massive amounts of ammo.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
then why protect Holder and the failed fast and furious operation? I don't think he's upfront about his intentions. after getting elected i can see it happening but it's too much of a risk to even let out a peep about it now

This. Obama and the sane democrats know that gun control is a loser. They tried their back door with Fast and Furious, and spreading all the fake statistics about cartel guns in Mexico, and it blew up in their face. His more than happy to let the Schumers, Feinsteins, Lautenbergs, and Brady's do it.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
/forecasting future

In other news two Democratic lawmakers were found to have ties to the ammunition industry after their dead-end proposal sent survivalist forum lurkers scrambling to order massive amounts of ammo.

I already have massive ammounts of ammo...

and talk about a lurker...sheesh :p

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
RAVZz.png

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010

She lost her husband in a mass shooting. Actually, it might have been the first of this modern era's mass shootings.

Really, Cho should not have been able to buy handguns that held 10 rounds. Forget about banning extended magazines. We should be banning these 10 round guns, limiting them to military and police use.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
She lost her husband in a mass shooting. Actually, it might have been the first of this modern era's mass shootings.

Really, Cho should not have been able to buy handguns that held 10 rounds. Forget about banning extended magazines. We should be banning these 10 round guns, limiting them to military and police use.

Do you have any proof that the last AWB reduced gun violence?

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
No, I'd allow six shooters.

Heck, if I myself were to actually buy a gun I'd probably get a six shooter type gun simply because it's more elegant mechanically.

Simple method: ban sale and manufacture of semi-automatic weapons. It's extreme, but it is effective. It also would have helped in VA Tech, Giffords, and Ft. Hood if semi-automatic weapons were banned across the board.
Can you please resolve why you think semi-automatic weapons are so bad, but would allow six-shooters? When you shoot a semi-automatic weapon, the next round is automatically loaded, via one of several possible mechanisms, for the next shot. Though a six-shooter isn't considered a semi-auto, as far as rate of fire, there really isn't much of a difference; each pull of the trigger readies the next round. What makes a semi-automatic so different from a six-shooter that you would allow one, but not the other?

have six shooters been used in public killings in the same way that glock handguns have? It would physically be impossible since you have to reload each round by hand.
Your ignorance is easily demonstrated on this point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6NWFGNfLUA&t=0m22s

Six shots, reload, six more shots. Total time: 2.99 seconds. That's 12 shots in 3 seconds, with a reload in between. That's 4 shots per second... with accuracy. So, with practice, you can reload incredibly quickly.

Last edited:

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Do you have any proof that the last AWB reduced gun violence?

I am pretty sure the current stastic, even from the Brady Bunch, if there was any effect, it is far too small and too early to determine the effect.

Those types of guns banned were used in less than 1% of gun crimes, so it can't reliably be measured.

Basically, it was worth nothing.