Dem lawmakers announce bill to limit mail-order and internet ammunition sales.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, I'd allow six shooters.

Heck, if I myself were to actually buy a gun I'd probably get a six shooter type gun simply because it's more elegant mechanically.

Six shooters have been used in more crimes than any other type gun. Ever hear the phrase "Saturday night special"?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
It's legally mandating against buying in bulk. It serves no common good. Isn't that enough?

That seems like a reasonable argument for rejecting it, sure. But I'm more talking about the level of angst this proposal seems to have generated, which seems way out of proportion to what's actually being discussed. Particularly since it's only two people and it's unlikely to go anywhere due in no small part to Senator Reid and President Obama.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
How many people must die before sensible gun control can be enacted?

I saw a report recently about how mind numbingly easy it is for anyone to go to a gun show and get weapons. It's pathetic how little oversight there is. Don't be fooled by gun owners who claim everything is in ship-shape. It's all lies.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Six shooters have been used in more crimes than any other type gun. Ever hear the phrase "Saturday night special"?

have six shooters been used in public killings in the same way that glock handguns have? It would physically be impossible since you have to reload each round by hand.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
How many people must die before sensible gun control can be enacted?

I saw a report recently about how mind numbingly easy it is for anyone to go to a gun show and get weapons. It's pathetic how little oversight there is. Don't be fooled by gun owners who claim everything is in ship-shape. It's all lies.

News flash: Gun bans don't work.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
From the OP's link:
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said last week that he does not intend to bring gun control legislation to the floor

Ain't going nowhere. This may play in the sponsors' districts but it don't play nationally and the sponsors are fools for grandstanding an issue their party will lose seats over while accomplishing nothing. Maybe the sponsors need to re-read Bismark's quote "Politics is the art of the possible." This legislation is not possible and a waste of everybody's time. <diversion>Sort of like the Reps trying to repeal Obamacare or grandstanding the debt ceiling votes. <end that there diversion>

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
have six shooters been used in public killings in the same way that glock handguns have? It would physically be impossible since you have to reload each round by hand.

Thank you for proving your complete and utter ignorance, please tell us more.

BTW, with a speed loader you can reload a revolver just as fast, maybe faster than a Glock, just a little fyi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvCGcD-i love you

Last edited:

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
They could work if they were comprehensive.

You can't make a comprehensive gun ban, and even if you did. it still wouldn't work. Case in point: Prohibition.

Also, FYI there are more revolvers than semi-autos on the streets. And the majority of handgun crimes comes from small, cheap pistols like the Lorcin, Phoenix, Hi-points, Ravens, Davis, ect....anything thats super cheap. Most of the guns only carry 5-6 rounds, same as a typical revolver. So banning 15rd Glocks won't do anything....

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF

edit: I realize its old, but look at the figures on page 4 and 5. Most of the guns seized were small shitty pocket pistols. Most of the murders were from .38 specials or .357s, so yeah, taking my glock won't stop anything.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
They could work if they were comprehensive.
Are you seriously arguing that what America needs is a comprehensive gun ban?

First, how are you possibly going to enforce that with the millions of guns already out there in the country? Are you rounding them all up? How?

Second, are you making the claim that the psycho in Colorado would not have been able to harm anyone if he didn't have access to guns? 9/11 and Oklahoma City are some pretty strong examples of the amount of damage you can do without a gun if you have the proper mix of determination and insanity. If he'd blown up the theater, things would have been much, much worse.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Then what's your solution to Aurora? Nothing?

It's so easy to criticize. That's all the tea party/gun idiots do.

Who the fvck you calling Tea Party bub?

A good idea is not a prerequisite for spotting a bad idea. It'd be just swell if Congress could somehow "legislate away the crazy," but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Guns are tools, the weapon is the person. When will anti-gun nuts get this?

I don't believe there is a "solution for Aurora." I think trained CCW holders blending into the populace and being assigned to various public venues as sheepdogs is a good start. Psychotic, cowardly killers prefer innocent and helpless groups. Knowing that there are probably several hidden and determined responders present can do a lot to change a cowards mind.

Last edited:

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Democrats are the greatest thing for the gun industry.

;)

Obama did more for the gun industry than Bush did....wasn't there a 50% increase in gun sales from 2007 to 2008 or something? And half a million back ground requests run the day after the election?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Democrats are the greatest thing for the gun industry.

;)

Yep.

I kinda like what's been happening last couple years. I have many quite liberal friends who are now shooters, actually buying guns instead of borrowing or renting them. On the flip side, several of the more socially conservative people I know have reversed their views on gay marriage. It's like wedge issues are starting to erode away faster...

Good luck with that GOP!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Thank you for proving your complete and utter ignorance, please tell us more.

BTW, with a speed loader you can reload a revolver just as fast, maybe faster than a Glock, just a little fyi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgvCGcD-i love you

Mostly true, but utterly misleading. A 40 S&W Glock w/ extended magazine holds up to 31 rounds, 5 times as many as a six shooter...

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005
Mostly true, but utterly misleading. A 40 S&W Glock w/ extended magazine holds up to 31 rounds, 5 times as many as a six shooter...

That doesn't mean people who own 31round mags will go out and kill people.

And the .40 cal glocks only have magazines extendable to 22 rounds. 23 with a round chambered. the 9mm have 30+1 rounds.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

Right, that is what Loughner was using right? The one that jammed also?

Also, as terrible as it was in Aurora, how many were wounded vs killed? 12 killed, 58 wounded? While horrible the fact is that's a much better ratio than 70 killed. Same with Loughner, 6 killed 14 injured, the extra capacity didn't exactly help them.

And there's nothing "misleading" about it.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010

I'd also guess that speed loaders in general are more bulky than glock clips, making it more difficult to carry large amts of ammo.

HybridSquirrel

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2005

Also, as terrible as it was in Aurora, how many were wounded vs killed? 12 killed, 58 wounded? While horrible the fact is that's a much better ratio than 70 killed. Same with Loughner, 6 killed 14 injured, the extra capacity didn't exactly help them.

His gun jammed because he was using a shitty extended mag, anyone whose fired from an extended mag knows how shitty they are.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010

goddamn you're dumb. And callous.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
His gun jammed because he was using a shitty extended mag, anyone whose fired from an extended mag knows how shitty they are.

we should legislate that all such extended magazines have an engineered failure rate? I'm serious. Gun engineers are working all the time to make stuff more reliable.