Dell Zino HD 400 - CPU Support Beyond X2 6850e

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dougulus

Aug 21, 2020
Honestly, sounds like your power supply (PSU) may be going bad.

thanks.
i tried with a different external power adapter (apparently my old dell inspiron laptop has a same adapter), but result is the same. previously when i used the original cpu of this machine, it sometimes will hang during the dell logo screen, but never goes to black screen. external power adapter is 65w. screenshot is the specs of my cpus (left is the new. right is the original). it doesn't bother me too much with this issue, but zino is for the elder to use.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 9

silverchair

Oct 5, 2020
Thanks for this thread. Several people here mentioned they were able to use the AMD Athlon II X3 400e CPU with the Zino, which however support DDR3 memory and not DDR2 like the original CPUs. Does that mean that you've also used DDR3 memory as upgrade?

@Digita1Zombie did you check temps as culprit? The original Radeon 4330 is around 9W, while the hd 5730 is 26 W, so almost 3 times that.

@Arkaign Are those temps 68-72C range that you mention max temps under heavy load or are these idle? Cause if these are idle temps .. OMG Since those CPUs are 45W compared to 22W original, is there a space for heatsink mod or adding additional fan to blow on the CPU?

P.S. I'm being offered a Zino for almost nothing, so researching my options. If this could serve for FB and YT machine and occasional animated movie (.avi or .mkv) for the kids room, it would be awesome.

dougulus

Aug 21, 2020
Thanks for this thread. Several people here mentioned they were able to use the AMD Athlon II X3 400e CPU with the Zino, which however support DDR3 memory and not DDR2 like the original CPUs. Does that mean that you've also used DDR3 memory as upgrade?

@Digita1Zombie did you check temps as culprit? The original Radeon 4330 is around 9W, while the hd 5730 is 26 W, so almost 3 times that.

@Arkaign Are those temps 68-72C range that you mention max temps under heavy load or are these idle? Cause if these are idle temps .. OMG Since those CPUs are 45W compared to 22W original, is there a space for heatsink mod or adding additional fan to blow on the CPU?

P.S. I'm being offered a Zino for almost nothing, so researching my options. If this could serve for FB and YT machine and occasional animated movie (.avi or .mkv) for the kids room, it would be awesome.

i didn't bother with the memory upgrade, the price of the older RAMs are quiet expensive (i checked that my mobo only takes DDR2.).

$80 2x4GB PC6400
$8 X3 400E

you can tell that CPU upgrade is cheap. the performance of the 400E is so fast compare to the original CPU. a night and day differences. this is the best option to upgrade for ZINO HD

silverchair

Oct 5, 2020
@dougulus How did u check what RAM the motherboard supports? I couldn't find any info, hence I asked here. It is strange to me for a MB to accept CPUs that support newer RAM, but does not support it.

silverchair

Oct 5, 2020
After more reading it would seem the Zino HD 410 would be the better choice with better CPUs and DDR3. Unfortunately this is not what I am being offered.

dougulus

Aug 21, 2020
@dougulus How did u check what RAM the motherboard supports? I couldn't find any info, hence I asked here. It is strange to me for a MB to accept CPUs that support newer RAM, but does not support it.

i used Crucial's website, youtube, and dell's website on specs. in addition, i popped open the system to look. if i remembered correctly the ddr2 and ddr3 have different PINs. if you get the wrong one, you won't be able to insert into the memory slots.

it is not strange to have a CPU that support newer RAM, basically it's what the BIOS can take (make sure you do have the latest bios) since these are all use the same type of socket, and people on this thread already done testing on some of the CPUs, so you know you'll be safe to use a particular cpu on this system

dougulus

Aug 21, 2020
After more reading it would seem the Zino HD 410 would be the better choice with better CPUs and DDR3. Unfortunately this is not what I am being offered.

yap. newer usually it's better. anyway, you might want to see if your system have a slot for the video card. on my zino hd 400, i only have build-in video, else that will be my second upgrade option since the video card for this system is around $10-$15.