DELL XPS15 (L502X) heating problem

Kerio_Orisa

Jun 13, 2016
Hi,
I have a Dell XPS15 (L502X). I think it is heating a bit too much under normal load (only few browsers open). The windows 7 is newly installed. It has i7-2630QM, 8GB RAM, 2GB GT-540m graphic card and 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD.
The CPU temperature is around 95 C, Motherboard 95 C, graphics 35 C and HDD 36 C.
Are these temperatures normal?

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
that is not normal. what does Task Manager say about CPU Usage?
and what program + version are you using to report temperature?
It seems odd that the GPU is cool and the CPU isn't, especially since from what I can find the L502x is a single fan design.
That would indicate either the program you're using is reporting it improperly, or something is using the CPU.

A scan for viruses/malware might be in order.

If it's none of the above, you might need to apply new thermal paste

since the L502x is pretty old, you might want to clean out the HSF regardless of the issue though.

Last edited:

Kerio_Orisa

Jun 13, 2016
that is not normal. what does Task Manager say about CPU Usage?
and what program + version are you using to report temperature?
It seems odd that the GPU is cool and the CPU isn't, especially since from what I can find the L502x is a single fan design.
That would indicate either the program you're using is reporting it improperly, or something is using the CPU.

A scan for viruses/malware might be in order.

If it's none of the above, you might need to apply new thermal paste

since the L502x is pretty old, you might want to clean out the HSF regardless of the issue though.

Thanks. The task manager say only about 25% oc CPU is being used, and only 1.6 GB of RAM is being used. No unusual load of any application in task manager. I used Speccy to check the temperatures of hardware. What does this indicate now?