Dell UltraSharp vs something cheaper (non-gaming)

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
Hi group,

I'm in the market for a pair of 24" monitors for my office setup. Here, I have my work PC and my main desktop, where I mostly do MS Office, web browsing, etc. Very, very light gaming and no movie watching.

I've always heard such great things about the Dell Ultasharp LCD's. I was looking around Amazon and came across the Asus VS247H-P, which is the #1 seller, for something like $140 after rebate. I think this means I can roughly get 2 of the Asus for the price of 1 Dell.

With no gaming and no movie watching, is there any reason to be looking at the Dells?

Thanks!

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I think you're looking at it in the wrong way, the Ultrasharp series is typically used for design work.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
ASUS makes some nice monitors, but that one is budget one with TN panel. Only thing comparable to ultrasharp series it has is size.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
True, the Asus could be #1 because of an appeal to a certain market, but not because it has the best features for your particular needs.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
If you just want some cheap office monitors you can use TN-panel based monitors. If you want monitors with vibrant colors and better viewing angels get an IPS or VA based monitor.

amheck

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2000
Thanks for the thoughts. So I should look for something with an ips panel? I don't think I care about viewing angles, as i sit in front of both monitors on my desk, but I do want crisp fronts and vibrant colors. I guess maybe I thought the ultrasharp models were for gaming.

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
If you go for an Ultrasharp, and have a Visa, you can get 10% off the U2414H (DELLMNT), and then more from Visa Checkout (VISACHEKOUT), ordering from Newegg and using Visa Checkout, making a single unit around $235. At that price, I'd get it over the P2414H (unless you find it for <$200), which uses the same panel, and is otherwise similar, but for USB 3.0 and HDMI on the Ultrasharp, for the most part (the P has VGA+DVI+DP, the U had HDMI+DP).

The P2414H and U2414H are both flicker free, with a light AG coating, use the same panel, and come from the factory pretty close to sRGB.

An 8-bit IPS panel, matte, but without a really heavy coating, will give better colors than a glossy TN, and no visible color shift. Constant current back-lighting assures that hue will change with brightness and contrast adjustments, but can reduce fatigue, if you get any from common LED backlit monitors.