Dell Ultrasharp for new monitor

HenryClay

Nov 25, 2012
Hey all,
I have an Acer G215HV and most of my SD videos are unwatchable on it, 720p and 1080p look better but not as good as they should so I've been searching for a new monitor.

I have heard many good things about the Dell Ultrasharp (U2312HM is what I've narrowed it down to) series. However, I wanted to be sure that this IPS display was the best value for its price and would perhaps correct my problem of pixelated/grainy videos. I also game so that was another factor in my decision (BF3, AC3). I was hoping someone on here could shed some light onto whether or not this is the right monitor for my uses/issues. I went to multiple computer stores and department stores (Best Buy, etc.) and the sales rep's were not able to give expert advice on this issue. Of course if anyone knows of a different monitor within the $300 or less price range that is preferred I'm open to suggestions but so far what I'm hearing for that range is 'Dell Ultrasharp.'

HenryClay

Nov 25, 2012
It's the best value period at $199.99 honestly.

I appreciate the reply and that is basically what I've heard as well. I have two follow up questions though if you don't mind.

1. I am having trouble finding it at $199.99, I'm seeing $230+, could you link me your source?

2. Would there be monitors in the less than $300 range much better than the U2312HM or would it not really be worth it to spend more than the $199.99 given the price range and quality?

Doom 4d

Nov 8, 2012
199 is probably over, since black friday ended. 229.99 is the normal sale price on it if you search around a bit. And in the 300-and-under range, the only monitor better than the 2312hm would be a 2412hm that's on sale for 299.99, but that also steps resolution up to 1920x1200 which can be an issue if you don't have the GPU to support 60 fps (or more) at that resolution in whatever the more demanding games you play are. For BF3 if you don't have a 580 or legitimately better (none of that roughly equivalent business) with at least 2 gigs of vram, you'll be stepping down settings from what you're currently at if you step up to 1920x1200.

HenryClay

Nov 25, 2012
199 is probably over, since black friday ended. 229.99 is the normal sale price on it if you search around a bit. And in the 300-and-under range, the only monitor better than the 2312hm would be a 2412hm that's on sale for 299.99, but that also steps resolution up to 1920x1200 which can be an issue if you don't have the GPU to support 60 fps (or more) at that resolution in whatever the more demanding games you play are. For BF3 if you don't have a 580 or legitimately better (none of that roughly equivalent business) with at least 2 gigs of vram, you'll be stepping down settings from what you're currently at if you step up to 1920x1200.

Well I'm running a XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB so I don't think there would be issues handling the U2412HM. My question is, is the extra $70 worth it? Does the 24 have a better quality display than the 23 or just the difference in resolution?

Doom 4d

Nov 8, 2012
Well I'm running a XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB so I don't think there would be issues handling the U2412HM. My question is, is the extra $70 worth it? Does the 24 have a better quality display than the 23 or just the difference in resolution?

It's a different aspect ratio, so you have to consider that certain ports (sine mora for instance) sometimes are res-locked at 1080 when they come to PC.

In the end, it's up to you. The extra vertical pixels can be useful and it used to be the ubiquitous PC aspect ratio, but there is certainly more 16:9 support for the time being. Like you said, you have the GPU for it if you decide to go that route.