Dell UltraSharp 2005FP 20.1" WSXGA Widescreen LCD 1680x1050 $506 Shipped AC/AR

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Dell 2005FP

$749 - 25% Dellf LCD Coupon - $40 Off $450 Electronics/Accessories Coupon - 3% FatCash + Free Shipping = $506 Shipped + Tax On $522

The coupon can be found online at various places. This is completely unrelated, but I love Windows XP and I love bargains. And all these great deals at Dell are making my fat wallet much thinner.

The $40 Off $450 expires at Midnight CST On 01/05/2005, or after 2500 uses.

EDIT: And FatCash, for those who don't know, is a eBates-type program through the people at Chubby Billfold. Completely free to use, just like eBates.

A few large discussion threads:

HardForum

FirstAdopter

Anandtech

dp004i

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2001
Got it for $521, didn't want to bother with fatcash. Too bad the FP2001 is $799 right now :(

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
The 2005FP is a newer panel; slightly better specs, less screendoor effect, and they solved the backlight-leakage with the December 2004 and newer builds.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
The 2005FP is a newer panel; slightly better specs, less screendoor effect, and they solved the backlight-leakage with the December 2004 and newer builds.

and it's widescreen.. which is great for movies, but POINTLESS for pc-use.

everything done on a pc is up-and-down. webpages your scroll up and down, documents, etc.

why would you want a monitor that is not as tall?

better specs? the res for the 2001 means a higher total resolution.

can't speak for screendoor affect. neither of my 2001fp's are that bad. one has a little bit on light backgrounds but not much.

backlight leakage? maybe I was lucky?

although that is a good price on the 2005...

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: armatron

everything done on a pc is up-and-down. webpages your scroll up and down, documents, etc.

For alot of people that work on spread sheets, do page layout, or work with graphics programs with alot of toolbars, the wide aspect ratio really comes in handy.

Jombo

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
wth, i just bought it last night for around $600 w/ tax, and now there is another 40 off coupon? grr..

armatron: you couldn't be more wrong on widescreens being pointless. even if it depends on the person, its not pointless. up and down scrolling is much easier than side to side scrolling. (just recently they started putting out the mice that lets you go left and right) and esp if you use any apps like flash, or photoshop, having more screen space to the right to put the tools in, is way handier than having more up and down space imo.

gaming seems a bit hard, but once they start coming out w/ games that handle the wider resolution, it'll work well. xbox's halo is sooo much better on a wider screen since you can see much more than you would on the 4:3

imverygifted

Golden Member
Dec 22, 2004
Originally posted by: DrVos

For alot of people that work on spread sheets, do page layout, or work with graphics programs with alot of toolbars, the wide aspect ratio really comes in handy.

and gaming i've been reading on these forums

h3nG

Jan 2, 2003

better specs? the res for the 2001 means a higher total resolution.

can't speak for screendoor affect. neither of my 2001fp's are that bad. one has a little bit on light backgrounds but not much.

backlight leakage? maybe I was lucky?

right now widescreen is still adapting...

but it's going to be the screens of the future, and that's the reason everyone here is making the shift. plus it's "cooler"...isn't that reason enough? :)

h3nG

Jan 2, 2003
someone fill me in on dell's brilliant strategy...

they could've sold these like milkshakes at sub upper five hundreds range. yet they seem to be pushing these monitors like crazy. i can't imagine them profitting much from these, else samsung and others wouldn't be charging close to twice the price for the equivalent montior.

Nov 7, 2000
Originally posted by: h3nG

they could've sold these like milkshakes at sub upper five hundreds range. yet they seem to be pushing these monitors like crazy. i can't imagine them profitting much from these, else samsung and others wouldn't be charging close to twice the price for the equivalent montior.
i wish my viewsonic 19" would drop some... the 200X FP are insanely cheap and no one else is keeping up

Mar 19, 2003
I'm glad I checked FatWallet last night, because I found that $40 off coupon as soon as I was about to submit my 2005FPW order. :)

My total was $564.80 (damned Texas sales tax :()

DrVos

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: h3nG

We're approaching the end of Dell's fiscal year. They are probably trying to meet quotas and get rid of extra inventory.

AdamsJabbar

Sep 20, 2000

...snip...

If tall pages and spreadsheets are what you need, you can easily rotate the display and you suddenly have a SUPER tall screen for such use. Additionally, 16:9 aspect ratios are becoming the norm for all video displays, so more and more hardware will be this way along with applications being optimized for such aspects.

Plus it is cooler. ;-)

IHYLN

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
I have a 27inch Sony TV in my bedroom, would it be better to go with a 20 inch wide LCD? I know HD packages are kinda crappy but is it worth losing 7 inches of real estate?

Maybe I should just wait for the prices to go down? :)

ZombieJesus

Feb 12, 2004
Mine was shipping a few days ago and should arrive any day now. As for the usefulness of a widescreen to a gamer rest assured widescreen is the way to go.

Games that support widescreen:

Half Life 2
Doom 3
Homeworld 2
World of Warcraft
Rise of Nations
UT 2004
Warcraft 3 TFT
Medal of Honor
Call of duty
quake 3
quake gl
quake 2

*gj id software.

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: IHYLN
I have a 27inch Sony TV in my bedroom, would it be better to go with a 20 inch wide LCD? I know HD packages are kinda crappy but is it worth losing 7 inches of real estate?

Just my opinion, but I'd think that it wouldn't be worth going from a 27" TV to a 20" one, especially a widescreen one that would be shorter than you'd expect. 20" is big for a computer monitor that you're sitting 1-2 feet away from, but as a TV...probably not so big.

Mar 19, 2003
Question for those who have recently ordered the 2005....how long did it take for them to ship your monitor out? I ordered mine last night and it lists the estimated shipping date as January 14...I was really hoping to have this before I moved back up to my university dorm, so I wouldn't have to drive back down here and pick it up...

Trianon

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2000
www.conkurent.com
Originally posted by: DrVos

We're approaching the end of Dell's fiscal year. They are probably trying to meet quotas and get rid of extra inventory.
They don't keep inventory, everything is built only when the order is placed. Dell orders parts from suppliers when customer finalized his system, no warehouse storage for more than a day, that's their business gimmick

IHYLN

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

Just my opinion, but I'd think that it wouldn't be worth going from a 27" TV to a 20" one, especially a widescreen one that would be shorter than you'd expect. 20" is big for a computer monitor that you're sitting 1-2 feet away from, but as a TV...probably not so big.

Good advice, I already have the 2001FP as my rig's monitor so I was just curious to see if it would be worth having the 2005 as the TV :)

Mar 11, 2004
Just curious, I don't suppose anyone here would happen to have a 25% off LCD coupon they'd be willing to give away would they?

PM me if you do, and I would be much obliged.

h3nG

Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

Good advice, I already have the 2001FP as my rig's monitor so I was just curious to see if it would be worth having the 2005 as the TV :)

good, glad you made the right decision...but let me seal the deal so you dont think twice again....

2005 will look VERY small compared to your tv, this 20 incher is only good when viewing from less than one to two yrds away. and for regular tv programs, this is not a 20 inche screen, it transofrm into a 17 inch monitor with verticle bars. also functioning as a tv, your tv will look a lot better...probably even for dvds.

you might see more details and wha tnot...but scaling adds so much crap to the picture.

douglassirk

Sep 8, 2001
widesceen is not pointless for pc's... in fact this monitor is awesome for almost anything..... just hit a hotkey and then flip it vertical with a touch of the hand and bang you have like 2 pages worth of every website or word doc visable at all times........

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
I said bye to $500 as well. I just need something to play HL2 without ghosting, and this will do the trick.

cheap

Sep 30, 2002
Like some people said, you can rotate the LCD or it it's not possible, take it off the stand and hang it with screws, then go to your advanced display properties and rotate the image 90 degrees and you will end up with tall screen.