dell says its industry standard to have 5-7 dead pixels on lcd screen?

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I purchased my first laptop, a dell inspiron 8200 less than a month ago... I receive it and noticed 2 dead pixels on the screen. I wasnt upset but sorta shocked... I called dell and the rep tells me its industry standard to have 5-7 dead pixels... im thinking wtf? anyways I go on and decide to try again... so i asked for a replacement. The replacement comes and sigh discover yet another f*cking dead pixel almost in the center of the screen. Is this really normal????

ThaGrandCow

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
yes, it's normal. It depends on the class of the screens. The consumer class I believed the standard was to have 3-4 dead pixles, but that's on a 12.1 inch screen. Is your screen one of the larger ones that would have more screen area and thus more dead pixles in the accepted range? In order to have no dead pixles be expected, you need to go for a military or medical grade screen.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I hear thats true. Did you get the Ultrasharp display? I havent any dead ones on my 8200. Weird

AzNmAnJLH

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2002
i got a standalone dell 15 inch lcd... happy to have zero dead pixels,,, (knocking on wood)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I believe most manufaturers usually won't give you a new one unless there are 7 or more in one quadrant.

My 15" Sony M51D still doesn't have any, although I've only had it for like 4 months.

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
i have the 15" SXGA screen. Beautiful but that red dot.............. esp on white backgrounds. eh I dont know.. I paid good money for it.. just expected a perfect laptop

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Yep. HP's standard used to be 14 I believe, but industry standard is usually around 7.

The general rule of thumb is if the dead pixel impede normal use (ie. four dead pixels in the middle of your screen, making I's into T's) you can get an exchange done. Only 2 dead is a pretty good deal, you're likely to end up trading that screen in for one that's worse. Keep it. :)

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
i had a dell laptop with about three dead pixels - back to the factory it went :D

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
IBM used to have a limit, too. I think it was right in the neighborhood of 6 dead pixels before they would replace the laptop/screen.

kendogg

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mister T
is there an image or test you can do to find out how many dead pixels you have?

I think the best way is to set your desktop wallpaper to white then black

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: kendogg
Originally posted by: Mister T
is there an image or test you can do to find out how many dead pixels you have?

I think the best way is to set your desktop wallpaper to white then black

Use the marquee screensaver, specify a background color but no text.

I'd do white, black, red, green, and blue.

Viper GTS

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
My iBook doesn't have a single one :)

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen one on an Apple display...

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
My iBook doesn't have a single one :)

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen one on an Apple display...

apple has really good displays

Monel Funkawitz

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I've seen 17 KDS 15" radius monitors, and all with ZERO pixel defects. Not one.

If they can do it, I'm sure the other companies can if they quit being so damn money hungry.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Dell was pretty cool about replacing the LCD in my Inspiron. I had a spot of dead pixels about the size of a pinhead. It was a few mm wide by a few mm tall, which according to Dell is a defect. Regular dead pixels are extremely difficult to notice, especially on a 1600x1200 display. The second time I had it replaced was due to watermarks. If the spot REALLY sticks out, like the first thing you notice about the display is the pixels, I'd try again with getting it replaced.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: wellerdball
lol stand alone lcd displays what a waste of money nice ghosting in games nice text reproduction

Punctuation.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
My dell CRT monitor has 2 dead pixels close to the center of the screen. It annoys me when I think about it. I called for a replacement and they sent me a refurb that was worse than the comp that I have now. So I decided to live w/ the dead pixels