Dell PowerEdge T110 or T310 ... what's to know, what to get??

GCS

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Looking to change things in our company.

We are probably headed towards SBS 2008 and thus most likely need to get server class hardware.

Our usage:

This is for a small accounting office.

No more than 7 employees at one time.
10-12 computers in the building (including the server).
We do work from home via VPN.

Network is all Cisco POE routers/switches. Main unit is a Cisco UC520.

New server will run SBS 2008 (as long as I can get it installed and configured ... yikes!!)

We currently use our server (it is running Windows XP Pro) to access our data only and there are "database manager" apps that run in the background to give us access to our tax and accounting files. All other programs are physically installed and run on our workstations.

Network is a standard peer to peer in a Workgroup environment. All computers are hard coded to a specific IP address.

We have an outside email service that handles our website and email accounts.

Our move to SBS 2008 with Exchange is prompted by our need/want to go as paperless as possible. To do that our faxes need to be received and stored electronically vs paper. Our UC520 will do this for us but has to do it with Exchange Server.

Based on research and input from others here it looks like for our purposes a move to SBS 2008 would be a good idea but we probably need to beef up our server.

I would like to keep the budget as minimal as possible but realize that I don't want to skimp on essentials.

We would be looking to put this in a normal tower case vs a rack mount so that we can have access to it in our office space vs back in a closet (no room there).

We will also want to move our existing "data" drives over to the new server once it is ready to be deployed (these are currently (2) 1 TB WD Drives running in a mirrored array with a simply promise Raid card)

Looking at something like the 310 is going to be about $1067ish spec'd as follows

Xeon 3430 2.4GHz with 8mb cache with Turbo (no HT though)
8gb of Dual Ranked UDIMM
Perc 6i RAID Card
2 x 250gb SATA HDD -- we will only use one of these for the OS. We will add 2 of our own drives to make a Raid 1 setup
3yr Basic Warranty from Dell

Naturally we will need to get a Dell approved Raid Card (probably has to be a Perc) to set up the Raid Array for the 2 x 1TB drives for our Data.

My concerns are ...

1. Should we go with 2 servers (1 for Data/Programs) and (1 for exchange stuff only) vs a 1 server solution?

2. Does the Poweredge series have USB ports for external drive hook up? We currently back our data up on an external drive and take it with us each night when we leave.

3. I have read that the Poweredge series requires HDD cages to add other drives but they do not come with them if you don't get the drives from Dell (which are STUPID expensive). Anyone knowledgeable on this topic?

Anything else I should look at instead?

Greg

**EDITED to update T310 build

Last edited:

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Try a single server first. If it's too busy (unlikely), you can always add a second server. The more servers, the more that can go wrong. As I noted earlier, SBS won't allow you to move Exchange to a different box. If you get a second server, it'd be used for your accounting apps, as a terminal server, or as a SQL box.

I'd buy new disks. This will keep your options open in case you experience difficulties in the migration process. After you've got the new server running, convert the 1 TB disks into additional backup disks. I recommend at least three portable backup disks. Keep at least two offsite and one (connected) onsite and swap them at a time interval that makes sense to you. A single backup disk is NOT adequate.

Last edited:

GCS

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Backup wise we do the following:

Every night at 11:59pm Acronis True Image does a full image of the Data Drive on to an INTERNAL 1TB drive installed in the server.

Right after that finishes it does another backup of the entire server (progs and all but not the C Drive) to an external USB drive.

This drive is swapped out in the AM and the backup from last night goes home with me.

We are looking into another backup option as well that a local company (the ones that installed our UC520 and switches in May) that would be a $150 month. They supply us with another computer that does constant backups throughout the day and at the end of the day/night offloads full backups to the West Coast and East Coast.

It can replace our server if need be as well ... i.e. the main server dies this unit can take it's place on a temporary basis until the main server is fixed.

I just wish it was a little less than $150/month but it still sounds pretty good.

Greg