dell optiplex 780: suggestions needed for graphics card and psu

andrew55

Jun 26, 2016
I need to upgrade graphics card so I can use an animation program (Daz Studio). When I tried to use program, I got an error saying I need to have a card that is Open GL. I'm not a gamer so I don't think I really need a top-of-the-line card.

I usually get computer stuff from OpenEgg, but I have a gift card from Dell that I need to use (from a past return).

My plan is to get a new Graphics card. The NVIDIA GeForce GTX series was recommended by Daz Studio users. I'm looking at this card:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-ge...-x16/5114478.p?id=1219109716553&skuId=5114478

I'm also assuming I need a psu that can support power needed by graphics card. I'm thinking this will work:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-80...power-supply-black/8511029.p?id=1219693073473

Here are the specs on my computer:

Dell Optiplex 780
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz
64 bit operating system
PSU maximum watts 255 (model # PW115)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8079 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953066 MB, Free - 424653 MB

I'm a newbie when it comes to adding hardware to a computer. Will the choices above work with my Optiplex 780?

I'm just trying to get some clarification before I purchase. Thanks for any help

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
I just got rid of a Dell 780 Full size tower which I modded to accept an HD 7850 video card. The problem is the BTX style motherboard the Dell 780 uses. It orientates the video card upside down from an ATX style case. I had to cut-off two of the CPU heatsink fins on mine to make room for the HD 7850 heatsink/fan. My Dell 780 had a Core2 duo 3.33ghz processor. I have modded other Dells such as the 980 OptiPlex the same way.

It will help greatly if you can find a card which requires only a single slot mount, instead of the dual slot vented mount backplate on the video card. Dell usually uses decent power supplies which are "Gold" rated. I ran mine off a 305watt max rated PSU which may have been the original one or one I took from a E4620 Gateway, cant remember.

That card you have selected will not work, unless you remove the dual slot vented back plate AND cut-off at least (2) of the CPU heatsink cooling fins.

I Also removed the plastic CPU heatsink shroud off of mine. Also looking on the web, the Heatsink for a Quad core may bee different then mine had. DO you have a Full sized tower or one of the other thinner style cases?

Last edited:

andrew55

Jun 26, 2016
Killrose - thanks. I will look for a single slot card, although I'm trying to get something from BestBuy as a I have a gift card I need to use. Also, I do have a full size case.

Elixer - thanks for the suggestion. I've used Daz before on even smaller computers and have "gotten by." I don't need to use it that much, so I'm trying to find something for my current computer until down the road when I get a better system.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Ahh, OK, then it seems you are going to have a hard time finding single slot solutions if you limit the store to be BestBuy.
You might need half-height / low profile cards to fit without cutting anything on the case, though, those are generally really low-end.
At least you can return the card easily if it don't fit at BB.

andrew55

Jun 26, 2016
Elixer - Here is a low profile (one slot) GeForce GT graphics card that I think will work for what I need it for, although not as good as a GeForce GTX:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvi...lack/6164158.p?id=1219659380715&skuId=6164158

It requires PCI Express 3.0. Do you think the OptiPlex 780 will handle this?

Also, would you recommend I get the 500w psu instead of the 600w psu? I had a computer tech friend tell me a 600w might overload my system or be too hot for the OptiPlex 780 mini-tower size.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Elixer - Here is a low profile (one slot) GeForce GT graphics card that I think will work for what I need it for, although not as good as a GeForce GTX:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvi...lack/6164158.p?id=1219659380715&skuId=6164158

It requires PCI Express 3.0. Do you think the OptiPlex 780 will handle this?
PCIe 3.0 will fallback to 2.x just fine, no worries there, not very many CUDA cores though, so it isn't that fast.

Is this the system you have? Is it the MT or DT series?
http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_780_tech_guidebook_en.pdf
Also, would you recommend I get the 500w psu instead of the 600w psu? I had a computer tech friend tell me a 600w might overload my system or be too hot for the OptiPlex 780 mini-tower size.

Ack, find a new friend, I would smack them upside the head if they told me that.
There is no way a PSU can overload a system. You could use a 1000W PSU, and the system will only use the amount it needs, it will NOT use the full 1000 watts. It don't work like he thinks it works, so I highly question his flat out wrong technical advice they have ever given you.

I haven't used this specific system before, but, since Killrose has, and he says the PSU is of good quality on that system, I would give it a go without replacing the PSU first.
That is, if it has a 6 pin PCIe power plug on it (for the video card). If not, then yeah, you should get a new PSU.
What will happen if the PSU isn't strong enough is, the system won't boot, or sporadic crashes when under load.

andrew55

Jun 26, 2016
Elixer - Yes, that's the system and I have the MT series.

That's good news about the psu so I don't have to worry about anything except the dimensions. I'll make sure to smack my friend.

I would love to get one of the GTX series (like in my first post) but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with cutting my heatsink up. I got the tools and I'm somewhat handy, but the whole concept make me a bit nervous. Wondering if it's worth the risk or if it's really not a big deal to make the mods.

I've also seen where some people use PCIe risers, but I'm not how to go about doing this.

I've found some low profile GTX series (single slot) cards on NewEgg, but I got this BestBuy gift card I need to use and they don't seem to have any.

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
also for got to mention if you do try and use the fastest/biggest card that will fit and you remove fins from the CPU heatsink, you will also need to remove one of the CPU heatsink hold down screw w/spring and replace it with a regular screw in the one corner nearest the video card because the height of the screw w/spring combo will not allow the vid card to lower into the pcie slot.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The giftcard is from Dell, but you're looking at BestBuy? And what is OpenEgg? Newegg?

Here are the specs on my computer:

Dell Optiplex 780
Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz
64 bit operating system
PSU maximum watts 255 (model # PW115)
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3337U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8079 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953066 MB, Free - 424653 MB

I'm a newbie when it comes to adding hardware to a computer. Will the choices above work with my Optiplex 780?

I'm just trying to get some clarification before I purchase. Thanks for any help

What's the bolded line doing in there? Do you have a Core2Quad, or an i5? An i5-U-series is generally a laptop CPU.

andrew55

Jun 26, 2016
Sorry, meant newegg. Gift card is at BestBuy (from a return I made but lost the receipt) Bolded line was just from copying and pasting. it's a Core 2 Quad.