Dell OEM Win 7 activation question.

Compman55

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2010
Back in the days of winxp you install windows off the genuine dell cd and if it detects are are running a genuine dell computer, there simply was no activation, and the master key was the same on all the cd media.

Is dells oem windows 7 the same way, when it sees you are installing it on a laptop that is a genuine dell, it will be activated by default? BTW I am using a genuine dell recovery CD, not a bootleg from the internet.

It seems the COA stickers (and all others) on the new computers are a fiber material and get destroyed easy hence the reason for this question.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Yes, Dell OEM Win7 works the same way. Note, though, that a Dell Win7 DVD will NOT auto-Activate on older Dells. There's been a change in the BIOS signature that indicates whether the PC originally came installed with Win7.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
It seems the COA stickers (and all others) on the new computers are a fiber material and get destroyed easy hence the reason for this question.

The first thing I always do with my own machines (or on any machines that I work on for others) is to copy the Windows product keycode from the COA sticker onto a permanent label and place it inside the door of the computer case. On laptops (where the COAs, being on the bottom, ALWAYS wear off), I usually put the label on the inside of the hard drive cover. It isn't much of an issue with Dell machines, but HPs are bad about always requiring the keycode even when reinstalling from the factory restore media.

I've always thought it was ridiculous that the things aren't sealed or laminated, but I guess it wouldn't be in Microsoft's interest to do so (i.e. they would be more interested in selling you another copy of Windows when you can't read the key instead of making it easier for you to retain your key in the first place)....

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
If you have an activation problem wouldn't it be easier and safer to just go online and activate it, rather than flashing your bios, always a last resort?
But if you don't know the Key from the COA, you won't be able to do an online or phone Activation. The Key from inside Windows won't work because it's a "universal" Key used on many similar Dells and is no good for Activation.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
On some Dells, if you look at their downloads page, and select Win 7 as the OS you will see a BIOS file different to what you would get if it had an older OS on it. That is easier than modding the file. I only put up that link for people who want to know more about the various BIOSes and how to modify them.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
If you have an activation problem wouldn't it be easier and safer to just go online and activate it, rather than flashing your bios, always a last resort?

But if you don't know the Key from the COA, you won't be able to do an online or phone Activation. The Key from inside Windows won't work because it's a "universal" Key used on many similar Dells and is no good for Activation.

D'oh. I didn't read that part.