Dell Laptop upgrade

Daveh944

Sep 22, 2002
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop with a Celeron Processor that's due for an overhaul. Although I have rebuilt my Desktop several times, I've never attempted a laptop, and I can't find any information anywhere (least of all Dell). Anyone have any starting places for me? I would like to keep the MoBo and just upgrade the processor, but I can't even find info on form factors and/or compatability. Any help would be appreciated.

rjcoolpix880

Apr 18, 2002
Is it because of the speed step stuff or can the chip not be physically removed? It seems like i should just be able to crack open the case and pop out the processor and throw a new one in. by the way i have a inspiron 3800.:confused:

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
It should be possible to pop in a new processor. You'll need the mobile version of the cely of course so you should try pricewatch, searching the web, and maybe even ebay. I just checked out pricewatch for ya and it looks like they have something. But the problem is, I don't know if you'd have any trouble with voltage compatibility or clock multipliers.

thecrews

Feb 26, 2001
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
It should be possible to pop in a new processor. You'll need the mobile version of the cely of course so you should try pricewatch, searching the web, and maybe even ebay. I just checked out pricewatch for ya and it looks like they have something. But the problem is, I don't know if you'd have any trouble with voltage compatibility or clock multipliers.

and bus speeds

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
My Dell L400 uses a PIII-BGA (Ball Grid Array) cpu which is soldered on to the mainboard. NO upgrades unless you are VERY handy with a soldering iron:(