Dell Laptop Hover-Click Issue

tmhanser

Jul 2, 2012
Not sure how else I can title this post!

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15r as of this Christmas, running Windows 8. I ran the upgrade to 8.1 but I still have a problem with my cursor wanting to "hover click" on links or browser tabs, as well as being stuck in the down position, when I'm not even pressing on the touchpad left button. I end up selecting an entire region of stuff while moving the cursor across the screen.

I can't figure out what to change or configure in Control Panel, or is it in the Dell Touchpad configuration utility?

In Control Panel/Ease of Access Center/Make Your Mouse Easier To Use I have unchecked "Activate a Window by hovering over it with a mouse." It still happens.

It's driving me mad - never had this problem with Win 7 or any desktop machine. What if I uninstall the Dell Touchpad Utility program altogether? Or is this problem unique to Windows 8?

Anyone?

Thank you!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I have the same problem with my much older Dell... it uses a generic driver for the touchpad. Find out what specific touchpad they have installed and install the manufacturer's driver for it, that should give you appropriate control over the mouse.

tmhanser

Jul 2, 2012
Control Panel/Device Manager indicates the touchpad is from Synaptics, but the driver is up to date.

Dell has their own touchpad utility installed (Windows 8.1) but it's way too complicated, which I suspect it might be the problem. Changing settings (and then saving) in this utility has no impact on the hover-click problems.

What to do?

I'll contact Synaptics next about this - maybe they can advise. I'm getting nowhere with Dell Support.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Make sure that tap-to-click is turned off in the Synaptics control panel.

That's what I mean... my Dell's basic install doesn't have the Alps driver (in my case) to get full control over the touchpad, I had to go to the source.

OP, Dell may offer it as an optional download...

tmhanser

Jul 2, 2012
Thanks, everyone.

I just UN-checked "tap-to-click" in the Dell Touchpad utility. I'll report back soon if this is the correct fix.

I emailed Synaptics regarding this, but received no reply as of yet. I called Dell Tech Support and the representative promptly started to GOOGLE for an answer to my problem, I'm not kidding.

Thanks again.