Dell/Intel laptop catches fire

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: CarpeDeo
Originally posted by: Fox5
Li-Ion batteries can explode quite violently, but generally they require a fairly high amount of heat (at least above 90 degrees fahreinheit) in order for there to even be a possibility of it. Wouldn't a place like that have air conditioning? Perhaps being punctured or crushed could cause an explosion too?

90 degrees fahrenheit? That's like . . . typical southern California weather.

Yeah, batteries can explode when left out in the sunlight. I don't know how likely it is to happen, but it's possible. (most likely it's higher than 90 fahreinheit, it 90 fahreinheit ambient, plus the additional heat from the battery being in use raising it to a high enough temperature to explode, the temperature isn't all that high though)

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
The crazy blogger says something about a core duo inside, but from one of the other pictures, it looks like an older model (maybe one with a P4 or P4-M in it). Even then, I don't see a laptop actually exploding, maybe catching fire, but not erupting.

The blogger is an idiot AMD fan boy. He shouldn't be linked because his fanatacism dilutes the reality of the story.

(I'm an AMD user BTW, right down to my laptop. But I hate fanboy-ism of ANY kind.)

The problem with the Dell has nothing to do with the CPU, chipset, mothrboard, etc.

Laptop batteries DO explode. Laptop power supplies CAN explode. They just don't do it very often. They do it more often in Dells, but it has NOTHING to do with Intel.

RMSistight

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2003
I seriously don't see why people can't buy a laptop cooler. I never liked running the internal laptop fans or heatsinks. I'd much rather have my $25 Antec laptop cooler break then to have my laptop literally catch on fire.

funkymatt

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: RMSistight
I seriously don't see why people can't buy a laptop cooler. I never liked running the internal laptop fans or heatsinks. I'd much rather have my $25 Antec laptop cooler break then to have my laptop literally catch on fire.

lol, this thread is 2 months old. and a laptop cooler will not stop it from shorting out.