Dell/Intel laptop catches fire

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
sharikou is a filthy little AMD troll who iirc was banned from here a while back.

/thread.

Dec 10, 2005
The crazy blogger says something about a core duo inside, but from one of the other pictures, it looks like an older model (maybe one with a P4 or P4-M in it). Even then, I don't see a laptop actually exploding, maybe catching fire, but not erupting.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Jnetty99
Imagine that really happend on a Airplane...

Imagine if that had really happened on an airplane and an air marshal was on board. Owner would be dead.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
All Dell notebooks are Intel notebooks so far. Now, if it was an Dell notebook with an AMD processor... that would be news.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
The crazy blogger says something about a core duo inside, but from one of the other pictures, it looks like an older model (maybe one with a P4 or P4-M in it). Even then, I don't see a laptop actually exploding, maybe catching fire, but not erupting.

he's a demented AMD nutjob, what do you expect? ;)

iwantanewcomputer

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2004
lol...stuff will almost always melt and cause an open circuit and turn off before that happens. there is not a lot flammable in a comp.

I once had a wire get the rubber coating get shaved, and it shorted to the case. I was glowing bright orange, and the rubber all melted and filled my computer with smoke from the rubber before i shut it off

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
That sharikou guy is just an AMD fanboy. That fire looks like it was staged to me.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: rudder
It could never happen!

:roll:

More recent link.

Every notebook manufacturer has at least one recall for their adaptors or batteries overheating. Note that it's "overheating", not "bursting into flame"...unless you're trying to cool it off by pouring alcohol on it, the real risk is a burn, not an open flame or explosion.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Li-Ion batteries can explode quite violently, but generally they require a fairly high amount of heat (at least above 90 degrees fahreinheit) in order for there to even be a possibility of it. Wouldn't a place like that have air conditioning? Perhaps being punctured or crushed could cause an explosion too?

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

DING DING DING.

CarpeDeo

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Fox5
Li-Ion batteries can explode quite violently, but generally they require a fairly high amount of heat (at least above 90 degrees fahreinheit) in order for there to even be a possibility of it. Wouldn't a place like that have air conditioning? Perhaps being punctured or crushed could cause an explosion too?

90 degrees fahrenheit? That's like . . . typical southern California weather.