Question Dell E6540 Touchpad left and right dead zones

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Bought a refurbed E6540 laptop and it works fine but the touchpad has some dead zones on the right and left which I assume are intentional why I don't know. I have reloaded drivers and turned scrolling on and off but I don't like the fake scroll pad and when I turn it off that area is dead. I just want a touch pad with no special dysfunctional zones. Is there a way to get a normal touchpad back? I usually surf with my left index finger on the left mouse button and my right middle finger on the far right side of the touchpad. This does not work with this new touch pad bad design. My work laptop has this same disfunction but I use it as a desktop so I have a mouse for that one. The dedicated scroll area is clunky and slow to respond and then sometimes it won't turn off etc. Looking for a generic driver that will turn it back into a uniform touchpad with no dead zones.

Last edited by a moderator:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
By "mouse pad" do you mean the laptop's touchpad?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Touchpad is not a mouse pad. I use both on my laptop and they are different animals. I'll fix your title. :)

Sounds like your touchpad driver might need to be reinstalled.

Last edited:

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I already did that with no changes. There are sections on the touchpad that are mapped out as scrolling pads but when those are activated it is worse than it being dead space which it is now. I can turn on the dead spaces but then scrolling is slow and unpredictable. There also does not seem to be a tutorial for all the trick features of the touchpad. I am not sure they should be considered enhancements.