Dell Discontinuing Printers

LANMAN

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Don't kill the messenger - just found out that Dell will no longer be selling printers.
I have my own reservations on their decision, however, I was at their HQ in July for a conference and they didn't mention anything about this. I expressed my disgust with one of the regional managers about Dell not being honest and forthcoming about this news at the conference.
This news has been confirmed by multiple sources and if you visit the Dell website right now, you will see that you cannot buy a "Dell" printer anymore.
Buyer beware, I'm sure it might take a few years, but I would say the consumables will follow.

LANMAN

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Anandtech admins: Sry, not sure how this got posted under software. Should have been under the peripherals forum. Please move if you have time. Thx.

LANMAN

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I just called my Dell acct manager and he said its true. They're getting out.
I wasn't very fond of Dell printers however I do have quite a few that use them. What is really frustrating, I found out about this before anyone at Dell either knew it or told me about it. Makes a person suspect that they are attempting to deplete their stockpiles before announcing it. This UK doc you posted definitely supports my claim. This person did some digging to and you have to look at several sources before you start to see its true. Dell needs to be more public about this, especially with those who have corporate accounts. When you have a dishonest or evasive relationship, what makes a person want to continue with it?

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If I recall, Dell printers were basically just rebadged Lexmarks, so you can probably get similar offerings from them directly I'd imagine. Been a while wince I dealt with printers but if I recall their commercial/office grade ones are decent.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If I recall, Dell printers were basically just rebadged Lexmarks,
While I don't have any Dell printers, knowing Dell (like their mini-PCI wireless adapters in their laptops), they will modify the firmware on devices (like printers), just so that they won't accept genuine Lexmark inks, or parts, or whatever. I mean, at least, I don't have proof of that explicitly, but it fits their general M.O., and wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were true.

OTOH, if they are getting out of the printer biz, and any of their printers, have the same physical structure and design as a Lexmark unit, it would be a nice gesture of them, to provide a final firmware update, that would allow using Lexmark parts and consumables. Just saying.

Edit: In the comments of that Register story, was this gem of a link:

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...rammed-failure-date-for-non-hp-ink-cartridges

Reactions: corkyg