Dell Dead - using Nforce 590 SLI MCP - what is option?

BF04

Sep 25, 2004
Hey all, buddy of mine has a Dell XPS 710 that died on him. My troubelshooting points to a bad MB. It is currently using nForce 590 SLI MCP, it has a Intel Core 2 Duo. I have not yet determined clock speed of CPU. Going tomorrow to physical check box.

If it is the MB, can he us one of the Nforce 600 ones or maybe even an Intel board?
He does not OC and wants something that is stable. This Dell XPS 710 has already had the following done to it in the 3yrs.
2 - Power supply replacments - Does Dell use only their own still or can I use an MB?
4 - Motherboards replaced on it already. It is out of warrenty so natually Dell says not our problem.

I am hoping to replace the MB with a good one and reuse all parts so to help keep cost down. Any recommendations?

PS. I try not the mention his wife's pc which I built at the same time he bough the Dell and It never had a problem yet.....knock on wood :)

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
As long as he's not using SLI, then you should probably just look at getting an Intel based board as a replacement.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
Watch out if he's using a BTX mobo or not, the quick way to tell is if the CPU socket is at the front and middle of the board and that it isn't parallel with the rest of the mobo. Otherwise general component layout should be significantly different from ATX mobos.

If he's got a BTX, Dell will want a LOT for a new one, and eBay can be flaky with electronics, so you may want to have him consider a new system reusing whatever parts he can.

Some of the XPS systems use server power connectors or are custom-shaped to fit the chassis/some random specification of Dell's so the physical power supply might be proprietary, but none of the connectors from it should be.

If he's not using SLi'd graphics and doesn't plan to, perhaps dodging hot-running Nvidia chipsets and going with a P45 mobo would be a better idea. Gigabyte makes an excellent P45 mobo that should nicely fill his needs.

Be aware of parts/case design being proprietary, which can greatly influence the cost and viability of the repair. Feel free to ask/PM if you aren't sure whether a part will fit, though if you think it's close it probably is not worth the risk.

BF04

Sep 25, 2004
Thanks for the responses :)

I will be getting a better look at it tonight. I do know he is not using Sli.

If it comes down to it, I should be able to use a standard Intel chipset for Core 2 Duo and DDR2, reuse all the parts is what I am hoping. Ill double check the PS and see if it proprietary.

Ill post back later if I have any questions. I can guarentee he is never buying a Dell again. :)

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
If the case is ATX then the replacement motherboard is the ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium. You would want to triple check that it would fit in that DELL case which it most likely does not as DELL seems to use their own proprietary formatted motherboards.