Dell 2005 FPW problem

Apr 10, 2005
I have a dual monitor setup connected to my rig running on an X800xl. One monitor is the dell 2005fpw (only 2 months old!) and the other is an old sony CRT.

Yesterday, I turned it on and the bootup screen appears on the CRT but not the Dell.

The LCD powers on, and the screen brightens up to blacks on the LCD. When i press the menu button on the monitor the menu wont even come up.

I tried several combinations, like LCD only, nothing. The CRT runs fine by itself. When both are connected, I can see the bootup and the windows screen on the CRT but then it goes to black (but i can see the mouse). I think thats because the CRT is a secondary.

At first i thought it might be the video card not recognizing the LCD, but i hooked it up to another computer with an Nvidia card, and the same thing happens. Powers on, but goes to a black screen and the self test function menu won't even come up.

Has anyone experienced this? I went through the trouble shooting routine, and its at the point where it just says to call tech support.

I'm thinking i might have to RMA it. any suggestions on how to deal with dell customer support?

aniruddha23

Feb 22, 2006
I prefer the phone call method. It just depends on the hold time though I have always gotten through without problems.

Theyw ill make u run soem tests so make sure ur Phone is near the PC and you have mobility to change connections etc. Once they determine that its a monitor problem (whihc I think it is) they should send the Carrier dude to pick it up the next day and ship out a replacement.

Apr 10, 2005
Got off the phone with the tech support. After a frustrating time with the automatic system, I finally got transferred to the right department.

Will be getting a replacement in the mail in 2-3 days. It's unfortunate that they ship out only refurbs. I gave the poor guy in India a piece of my mind. I was hoping they would send either a new 2005fpw or the best case a new 2007wfp.

must remember to try the chat support next time.

Madellga

Sep 9, 2004
You bought a new monitor. It is deffective now. Don't they have the obligation to give you a new one?
Refurbished articles are normally the ones people returned for some reason?

If you don't like the replacement (dead pixels?), can you ask another one?