Dell 1100 laptop 2.3GHz, CD-RW/DVD etc... $575AR & coupon

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Ripped from FW thanks DaCool1 and coffee.

TECH SPECS

Processor/Display
Intel® Celeron® Processor 2.3GHz, 14.1 XGA

Operating System
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home

Memory
256MB Shared DDR,266Mhz,2 Dimms,PC2100 SDRAM

Hard Drives
20GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Fixed CD/DVD Drives
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow

Productivity Software
Productivity Pack including WordPerfect® and Money®

Wireless Networking Cards

Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options
1 Year Limited Warranty2 plus 1 Year Mail-In Service

Linky

$850 - $250 MIR -$25 off of 500 coupon = $575 no tax

ScoobMaster

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: sparks
The Compaq has a 15" LCD vs the Dell's 14.1"

True - but they are both XGA (1024X768)

Have you ever put a 15" XGA next to a 14.1? The size difference is hardly noticeable at all unless you physically measure it.

Also - since rebates are involved and the buying the Comaq will likely involve the dreaded TAX, realize that you will be taxed on the BEFORE REBATE amount!

SlushieKen

Apr 2, 2003
OK... 2 things.

I have asked this before in off-topic and did not get a good response so no flames please... How the h*ll can I get signed up to receive these coupons from Dell (IE $25 off of $500)? Any way I can get one now for this deal?

[EDIT] I found on another site the 25 off coupon code so that fixes me for now... But how can I get the other ones such as %off, and get mailings on them directly?

Second, how do you get tax free? When I placed my order it estimated taxes. I do live in Texas and I think the headquarters is here... maybe thats why but I thought I would ask...

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
u go to dell home (or small business). see where it says "free e-mail updates: get the latest product info and special offers from dell"? thats where u put in ur email address.

SlushieKen

Apr 2, 2003
Originally posted by: gwlam12
u go to dell home (or small business). see where it says "free e-mail updates: get the latest product info and special offers from dell"? thats where u put in ur email address.

I have already done that, at least 3 months ago. When I go to add my e-mail in again, it even tells me "You have already subscribed under this e-mail address". I have never gotten anything back...

Ill re-subscribe under a new address... Thanks!

XeonTux

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
*sigh* there are ALWAYS so many good deals on these 1100's

too bad they have some linux compatability issues, mainly power management. Sure, one could use a software suspend/resume... but that is considerably slower

Dell is even a member of the OSDL. Why can't they help the community get major features such as ACPI working on what has to be one of the best selling laptops?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dell+1100+linux+acpi

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
I believe the tax thing has to do with each state (OK that's obvious) because - if they have a physical location, such as a kiosk in a mall (such as in the Mall Of America here in Minnesota), then you get charged tax. If you have no such kiosks or other outlets, then you don't get charged tax. I got this theory about 6 months ago when I saw a list of what states are charged tax, and what states have actual physical locations to purchase from (or order through) and they were the exact same states.

Wow, that Compaq really is a better laptop, too bad they are showing as sold out. For the amount of money involved, I'd not just stamp the rebate submission and throw it in the mail, but instead have it certified / tracked either with the post office or by sending it UPS letter for example. Then if you get the "not submitted on time" or "not received" you can show proof of just that.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Originally posted by: tracerbullet
I believe the tax thing has to do with each state (OK that's obvious) because - if they have a physical location, such as a kiosk in a mall (such as in the Mall Of America here in Minnesota), then you get charged tax. If you have no such kiosks or other outlets, then you don't get charged tax. I got this theory about 6 months ago when I saw a list of what states are charged tax, and what states have actual physical locations to purchase from (or order through) and they were the exact same states.

Yes, that is the exact reason. For example, if I sell a system to someone who's shipping address is in NC, they get charged tax. But, if they have it shipped to someone in South Carolina, there is no state sales tax.

Shrink

Nov 4, 1999
How do these computers compare to the Thanksgiving special at Bestbuy.com for $599 (after rebate) + tax (free shipping):

Medion Notebook with Mobile AMD Athlon? XP-M Processor 2200+
Mobile AMD Athlon? XP-M processor 2200+ with QuantiSpeed? architecture* and AMD PowerNow!? technology; Barton core for improved multitasking and overall performance
*Operates at 1.8GHz
256MB DDR SDRAM, expandable to 768MB (1.25GB with 1.0GB SoDIMM)
DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive
14.1 XGA TFT display
30.0GB hard drive
S3 Savage 8 GFX graphics, with up to 32MB shared video memory
Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN network card
V.90 high-speed modem
4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for easy peripheral and mobile digital imaging connectivity
Weighs about 5.3 lbs./about 1" thin for easy portability; high-capacity LiIon battery
Windows XP Home Edition operating system preinstalled

golfan

Nov 22, 2003
Originally posted by: SlushieKen
OK... 2 things.

I have asked this before in off-topic and did not get a good response so no flames please... How the h*ll can I get signed up to receive these coupons from Dell (IE $25 off of $500)? Any way I can get one now for this deal?

[EDIT] I found on another site the 25 off coupon code so that fixes me for now... But how can I get the other ones such as %off, and get mailings on them directly?

Second, how do you get tax free? When I placed my order it estimated taxes. I do live in Texas and I think the headquarters is here... maybe thats why but I thought I would ask...

How & where do you find the 25 off coupon? How about free shipping? if you use the 25 off does it mean you will have to pay shipping?