Deleting an internal hard drive I'm replacing.

maxxpower18

Apr 21, 2010
My current laptop hard drive still works, but I'm replacing it with a larger hard drive. Since I currently have Windows 7 installed on my current hard drive, how can I delete everything that's on it before replacing it with my new hard drive.

I'm assuming I have to delete my current hard drive so I can reauthorize Windows 7 when I install the new hard drive.

ShadowVVL

May 1, 2010
boot up on a different drive go into computer then left click on the drive you want to erase and click format.

before formating make sure that you have a windows7 disk or backup.some oems put partitions on the hdd with the os backup which you can back up on disks.

Last edited:

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Or boot onto a usb key with a linux distribution on it and dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
assuming sda is your hard drive.

balane

Dec 15, 2006
I went through this recently and I booted to a cd containing Parted Magic. (If you don't know Parted Magic is like an operating system that runs 100% off the CD and has a ton of great tools. This will be a handy disk to have around for all sorts of stuff.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/par...gic 2012_07_28/pmagic_2012_07_28.iso/download
(Just download the iso and burn it to a disk.)

From within Parted Magic under tools I did a secure erase on the hard drive so it was totally wiped. Then I removed that blank hard drive, installed my new ssd and installed Windows on it.

It was much easier than I thought it would be.

Edit: Changed typo from Gparted to Parted Magic, ignore what I typed if you saw the Gparted link.

Last edited: