DeLay Launches Private Foster Care Project

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Text

RICHMOND, Texas ? House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (search) on Monday opened a privately financed project touted as an innovative way of giving abused and neglected children a stable foster home environment.

"There is no other place in the entire country that does what we're trying to do," the Republican said of the project. "And we hope to take this as a model around the country because the foster care system in every state has problems that need to be dealt with."

The project also has drawn attention because the first phase includes homes constructed by Houston-based builder Perry Homes

DeLay said the homes are being built by Perry Homes at cost, and he dismissed suggestions that his charitable activities provide a way for donors to gain political access.

"We hope many other congressmen would see this as a success and will want to do this in their own districts, and that' s how we hope to get this around the country," DeLay said.

He refused Monday to address questions not dealing with foster children.

DeLay credited his wife, Christine, a former teacher who years ago became a court-appointed special advocate for foster children, with the idea. He said they realized through taking in three foster children that the system needed help.

The first phase of the project, costing about $8 million, consists of eight seven-bedroom homes, a gym and a chapel. Each of the houses will serve as a home for six foster children, plus their foster parents. A second phase will add 24 homes and boost the investment to $25 million, all from private sources, he said.

It's great for the children in his district that he has taken the initiative to start this project for the community.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Oh, look, the backer for the Swiftboat liars right in the middle of it.

Surprise, surprise! :roll:

BTW, I wonder if the kids (and their foster parents) will have to sign up to be "saved" in the chapel before being allowed in there.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
LOL. This guy is so transparent. Reminds me of Bob Roberts.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The original Record Plant recording studio in L.A. used to have a button that referred to efforts to rescue bad tracks by overdubbing more tracks. It said, "Your can't polish a turd!"

I don't think DeLay understands the concept. :roll:

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
While definitely a douche, I do hope some good for the kids can come from this, regardless of intentions.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
What's in it for DeLay ? He doesn't do anything unless he is a benefactor.
The Votes of those who live there ?
Lobby Cash from his friend Perry ?
Campaign Contributions from the Church ?
Maybe a land sale for his property ?

"We hope many other congressmen would see this as a success and will want to do this in their own districts,
and that' s how we hope to get this around the country," DeLay said.

Who are these 'other congressmen' ? Is he starting a net of hucksters.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
While definitely a douche, I do hope some good for the kids can come from this, regardless of intentions.

I agree, but frankly this sounds like an outright con. There's just too much abuse potential in putting Tom DeLay of all people in charge of this much money, and trusting him to allocate a bunch of huge houses. I'd trust Tony Soprano to head this project before Tom DeLay.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Mabye, just maybe captnkirk, he's doing this for the children? Oh, the horror!

Unless of course he pulls an Air America and robs them. Of course, many people can spout on about helping the children but refuse to do so with their own $, its very easy to be generous with other people's money.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually, my understanding is that DeLay has been quite active in certain children's issues such as foster care.

But I find this a curious comment . . .
"And we hope to take this as a model around the country because the foster care system in every state has problems that need to be dealt with."
The primary problem with foster care systems is chronic lack of funding from state governments. Quality systems of care requires quality facilities, quality people running them, and quality people in supervisory roles. Most failed systems . . . say TX, FL, or IL . . . typically have leadership that doesn't consider the foster care system to be a priority. They essentially apply large doses of benign neglect and then campaign against "failed" government programs when elections come around.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
While a great idea, I always question the motives behind anything politicians do.

zendari

Banned
May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: DonVito

I agree, but frankly this sounds like an outright con. There's just too much abuse potential in putting Tom DeLay of all people in charge of this much money, and trusting him to allocate a bunch of huge houses. I'd trust Tony Soprano to head this project before Tom DeLay.

Key word private. Unless you are involved with Perry Homes you don't have to.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: zendari
Originally posted by: DonVito

Key word private. Unless you are involved with Perry Homes you don't have to.

I'm sure him, his family or a close friend will be benefitting from it. Altruism is not a part of the political vernacular.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by: zendari
Mabye, just maybe captnkirk, he's doing this for the children? Oh, the horror!

Unless of course he pulls an Air America and robs them.

If you believe that you don't know anything about DeLay.

There's a commodity market that makes it's living collecting Government Money
as caretakers for Foster Children, the State pays support for each child,
so 6 children is a guaranteed income for the Foster Parents.

Each of the houses will serve as a home for six foster children, plus their foster parents

The Texas Foster Care System

My wifes brother and his wife provide foster care for 4 children right now -
all seriously disabled, as well as for their own children.
The money that they make is enough that they do not have to work - they make a fairly nice amount for their time,
but they have round the clock 24/7 responsibility for these kids, and they have been doing it for nearly 10 years.