Delaware State University shooting

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just heard a local radio report that there has been a shooting on campus some time during the night with 2 injured and the campus currently shut down.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Dang, hope the injured survive and the catch the guy who did it.

And let me guess, Delaware State University bans concealed handguns on campus, therefore the only means of protection for students is the university faux-cops.

AStar617

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2002
Here's the official statement thus far: http://www.desu.edu/advancemen...ase.php?article_id=291

rose.gif

Aug 25, 2004
Originally posted by: AStar617
Here's the official statement thus far: http://www.desu.edu/advancemen...ase.php?article_id=291

rose.gif

Quoted:

TIMELY WARNING NOTIFICATION

Sept. 21, 2007 (5:10 a.m.)

Classes Canceled due to Shooting on Campus(update)

Classes on the Dover campus of Delaware State University have been canceled for Friday, Sept. 21 in the wake of an early morning shooting at the institution that has left two students wounded and a suspect at large. All non-essential personnel are directed not to report to work on this day.

The primary priorities of the University at the point are the safety of the residential student population and the DSU Police investigation of the shooting. DSU Police Department with the assistance of the Dover Police Department are working toward the apprehension of the suspect.

The university is implementing a plan to provide essential services to its residential population on campus. Because the suspect is still at large, residential students are directed to remain in their residence halls for their safety until further notice.

At approximately 12:54 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 21, the Delaware State University Police Department was notified of an incident in which two students were shot on campus near Memorial Hall. A single male suspect is being sought, but has not yet been apprehended. The investigation is continuing with the assistance of other local police.

A male student and a female student were transported to hospitals within the state. The male student is in stable condition, however, the female student?s injuries are considered serious.

University personnel and students can check of updates on this situation through the DSU Website (www.desu.edu) and through the DSU Snow Phone # at (302) 857-SNOW (7669).

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the DSU Police at 857-6290 or the DSU TIPS Line at 857-7918.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
There was also a shooting in DE at GoldeyBeacom College a few weeks ago but no one was hit. Guy was shooting at a vehicle that was driving away...suspect is in custody.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: CPA

And let me guess, Delaware State University bans concealed handguns on campus, therefore the only means of protection for students is the university faux-cops.

Oh gawd, not this asinine argument again. And its in the first post? Way to hijack the thread to further your agenda. Guns for everybody! Yay! :thumbsdown:

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
It's funny how I didn't see this on the local news paper website, bit it was on the first page of wsj's site....

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000

You can also run... or play dead

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

I'm sure if the hadn't banned handguns there is no way this would have happened...

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Kev

I'm sure if the hadn't banned handguns there is no way this would have happened...

BUT IF THEY BANNED HANDGUNS, NO ONE WOULD HAVE THEM.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
sounds like a shooting that happened to be at school... not a rampage school shooting.
that or dudes the lousiest school shooter ever.

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
sounds like a shooting that happened to be at school... not a rampage school shooting.

thats what they thought about the VA Tech guy...and then 2 hours later....

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

thats what they thought about the VA Tech guy...and then 2 hours later....

Was thinking the same thing. I remember reading about VT on atot before any news site had it up. Go figure :p

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: halik

You can also run... or play dead

You can't out run a bulllet, and playing dead doesn't work, because people tried it at Columbine and were still shot.

It is a valid point that CCW/CHL's should be allowed to carry on Campus, in government buildings and anywhere else for that matter, because we have chl's to protect ourselves. The bad guys, know we can't take our legally owned guns to school or gov buildings, so where do they go to shoot a bunch of people?

1 time has it happened in a mall and a CCW/CHL blew the fucker away. Hmm, how many have been stopped on campus? Oh, wait, none.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: txrandom

BUT IF THEY BANNED HANDGUNS, NO ONE WOULD HAVE THEM EXCEPT THE CRIMINALS.
Fixed.

A male student and a female student were transported to hospitals within the state. The male student is in stable condition, however, the female student?s injuries are considered serious.

Ok... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say find out which guy this girl dumped in favor of the guy she was shot with and you've got your shooter.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: homercles337

Oh gawd, not this asinine argument again. And its in the first post? Way to hijack the thread to further your agenda. Guns for everybody! Yay! :thumbsdown:

I thought I would start out the morning with a bang - no pun intended :D

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Would it be too much to ask of the people here to focus on the situation at hand and not turn it into the 3923023rd gun control argument here? Kthxbye.

In any case, from what I've read so far they have absolutely no idea who the shooter is or where he may be..this has the potential to turn into a major tragedy, but let's hope it's simply an isolated incident. It may be better that the gunman never be caught and this is simply isolated, than for him to let loose again and be caught in a shootout..

It's a school that apparently is pretty tiny, smaller than my high school with 3722 students--so hopefully that'll make things a tad easier than if this were a bigger school..