Degree or Courses Taken?

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
spidey07's posts in another thread of mine got these wheels turning up here. I'm interested to see what other people think on this matter.

Are the courses you took at college more important than the degree you received? Or does the degree itself overshadow those hours you spent sleeping in lecture?

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
the degree. i dont think my employer is going to give a shit if i made a C in biology. if ANY courses were to count it would be your major course. but the more important thing is not the grades, it's what you know.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
The degree gets you considered, the coursework is icing on the cake, your social skills help get you hired.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, the degree itself is more important than the classes you took initially. For many employers, it's a requirement just to get in the door.

Keep in mind that about 80% of the stuff that you learned in college will never apply to your actual job. You better be good or get good at the remaining 20%, though!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Journer
the degree. i dont think my employer is going to give a shit if i made a C in biology. if ANY courses were to count it would be your major course. but the more important thing is not the grades, it's WHO you know.

fixed.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Didn't take any college courses nor got any degrees. Got my job based on skill level. But I will probably start takin some classes and get a degree for the hell of it.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Rip the Jacker
Didn't take any college courses nor got any degrees. Got my job based on skill level purely.

And your job is? Your skill is?

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Journer
the degree. i dont think my employer is going to give a shit if i made a C in biology. if ANY courses were to count it would be your major course. but the more important thing is not the grades, it's WHO you blow.

fixed.

/fixed

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Okay, I suck at terminology. What's wrong with the back end development? Is this implying that there are two parts to designing a website?

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Back end developer controls the logic of the site (php, asp, usually databases and server as well)
Front end developer controls whatever you see, because he's responsible for (sometimes coming up with the design himself) taking the design and making it a fully functional site.
Designer designs.

I'm not that great at backend as I am with front end, but I'm gettin there...

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Oh so you're like the marketer, and the back end is like the technician.

I'd rather be the marketer. But keep working on the back end so you can stay on the front AND tell the technician how to do his job. :p

So no degree huh? Any plans? If you did go, what would you study?

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Oiprocs
Oh so you're like the marketer, and the back end is like the technician.

I'd rather be the marketer. But keep working on the back end so you can stay on the front AND tell the technician how to do his job. :p

So no degree huh? Any plans? If you did go, what would you study?

Well, the technician usually handles the hardware on the server.. and I wouldn't get into that.. but the backend developer is usually familiar with Apache/IIS/etc and is able to make modifications or update/install it.

I was thinking of pursuing a degree, maybe a CS or something. I would take some programming classes to get more familiar with OO (Java maybe),. I don't think I'd learn anything from a "web design" class (teachers are probably stuck in 1998 anyway).

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Yeah I think if you're already designing web pages you would probably be more suited as a TA for that class.

If I were you I'd definitely go for a degree when I found the time/money/effort. People are always talking about "work experience " and how it helps in getting that job just as much, and probably more than a solid GPA. You already have that, so all you'd have to do is graduate.

Hmm. My curiosity has led me to an envious state. Curse you and your reluctance to follow society's grand plan of college after HS.